Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
OMG third attempt at posting this thread!

I haven't seen a wild one of these in the NT since the toad moved in, which in Oenpelli was over 10 years ago.

Unfortunately this fella had been shot early the morning that i was told about it. I didn't beleive it was a mulga until i saw it. Couldn't beleive it! Atleast they weren't extinct here on Sunday the 21st lol.

It measured 2.15m with a little bit of the tail missing. Now it's living in my freezer. From the records i can dig up this is the fourth official recording in the toad affected areas since 2008.

Dodgey pics sorry, the mozzies were drilling me something chronic!

P8220066.jpg

P8220065.jpg

P8220064.jpg

P8220062.jpg

P8220061.jpg

P8220060.jpg

P8220059.jpg

P8220058.jpg

There are no concervation attempts, atleast in regards to mulgas. It does leave open the possibility that there are a few more that are still living in the area but i see that as pretty unlikely. If it was a young animal i would have hopes that they are still breeding, i don't know how quick they grow but i would think this fella would have been a bit of a dinosaur.

As far as i know there have been three found in Darwin since 2008, but Darwin doesn't really compare to a place like this because we have pretty well managed to keep the toads out of populated areas. Dave in Katherine (which is a more comparable area to Oenpelli than Darwin is) hasn't ever found a wild one in 7 years. I think this fella was just a one off freak that didn't find frogs that appealing.

Hi Gordo, I found one near Katherine in 2006 but that was the only one I have ever found there.

Why if a species is close to being wiped out in an area would there be nothing in place to preserve or repopulate? This is quite distressing.. Wouldnt they play an intergral part in the eco system there? What snakes are still successful in this area that havnt succumbed to cane toad infestation?

Cool! Do you have any pics? And was it South of Katherine? I've heard there is/was still a population surviving around the Mataranka area.

It comes down to money, or the lack of. There isn't enough money to do anything about the toads and without adressing the toad problem there is no point in repopulating an area.

We also know that this species will not become extinct from the toads because of how wide spread they are throughout the country. The only other snake that has been directly affected by the toads are the death adders and possibly the carpet pythons, although both of them are still surviving.

Why if a species is close to being wiped out in an area would there be nothing in place to preserve or repopulate? This is quite distressing.. Wouldnt they play an intergral part in the eco system there? What snakes are still successful in this area that havnt succumbed to cane toad infestation?

Last edited:
Hi Gordo,

I am sure Mulga's will still be around (touch wood). Not the easiest of snakes to find at the best of times in my experience.

Maybe check this out too;

Brown, G. P., B. L. Phillips, and R. Shine. 2011. The ecological impact of invasive cane toads on tropical snakes: field data do not support predictions from laboratory studies. Ecology 92:422-431.

Cheers,
Dan

Exciting find, Gordo, I nearly (NEARLY that is) creamed my pants! And that doesn't happen much when you get older. Thanks for sharing:).

I've often heard it said that no Ozzie wildlife has become extinct as a direct result of Cane Toads, just an initial, though extreme reduction in population numbers. Though I would have thought that some local populations would be wiped out.

P.S Thanks for that info Dan.

wow what a difference time makes.

I trecked all through there in 2002 and found so many that they started to bore me by the end im my trip.
they were everywhere, them and black whip snakes (how are they fairing)

Thanks Dan I'll def check that paper out.

IV, as far as i know only one species was wiped out by the toad and that was a nematode worm!

ANd yes i nearly creamed myself too, i would have for sure if it was alive. And then i would have nuggeted (without doubt!) trying to catch it with my short hooks and hoop bag that is only 3ft deep lol!

Still a tonne of black whips. Easily the most abundant vens.

wow what a difference time makes.

I trecked all through there in 2002 and found so many that they started to bore me by the end im my trip.
they were everywhere, them and black whip snakes (how are they fairing)

Last edited:
There is still the odd one around. I saw a 1.2 metre one in Kakadu about 3 years ago and last year in Batchelor saw a beautiful 1.5m specimen in great health.....will have to dig out the video. Also have it on very good authority that one over 2 1/2m was seen mid last year in Kakadu.

Big Kingis on the dry floodplains of the Top End used to be a spectacular sight.

Unfortunately not nearly as common as they used to be, although the other Top End snake eater, the Black-headed Python seems to be booming in numbers as a result!

Was it a whitefella that shot it?

Last edited:
There is still the odd one around. I saw a 1.2 metre one in Kakadu about 3 years ago and last year in Batchelor saw a beautiful 1.5m specimen in great health.....will have to dig out the video. Also have it on very good authority that one over 2 1/2m was seen mid last year in Kakadu.

Big Kingis on the dry floodplains of the Top End used to be a spectacular sight.

Unfortunately not nearly as common as they used to be, although the other Top End snake eater, the Black-headed Python seems to be booming in numbers as a result!

Was it a whitefella that shot it?

Yeah it was a white boy. I'm a lil disapointed that he did too, i know he has my number and i'm sure everyone in the community knows that i'm a snake catcher.

Nice to see they are still there. Not the best way to discover one but still good to see em around. I only ever found 2 DOR while living up there a couple of years ago. 1 large gravid female hit on Cox Pen RD and a sub adult male on the Arnhem at Marrakai. I Seemed to always come across Weiglii when tryin to find the big guys.

That figures!

I think the dreaming site for King Browns, "Dadbe", is not too far away at Mt Brockman (Jabiru east).

Lets hope there are still some other ones around carrying the same genes as this guy which like you say have steered him away from the toads.

That figures!

I think the dreaming site for King Browns, "Dadbe", is not too far away at Mt Brockman (Jabiru east).

Lets hope there are still some other ones around carrying the same genes as this guy which like you say have steered him away from the toads.

My class' name is Dadbe, we're having the artists paint a mulga on our door soon.

Reptillian, how long ago did you see them? DO you have any pictures? Very jealous that you have seen two!

Does any one in the Top End, apart from herps, know what you are talking about when you say "Mulga Snake". Never heard anyone use that around Darwin.

Not really an appropriate name for this snake in the Top End. Here they are always brown, get very big, and demand respect, so I think King Brown is the best name (yes I know they are not really a brown).

Last edited:
I only ever refer to them as mulgas. Everyone refers to every ven up here as either a King brown or a taipan lol.

Have there been any taxanomic studies done on P. Australis (I'm assuming there have) and are they merely colour/ size variations of the same species (like Notechis)? Some East Kimberley animals look very similar to some of those from The Top End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back