Top snake site

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Have been looking at the top site markers (bottom left) and see that APS is #2 for snakes (not bad for 73 members). The current leader is ssnakess.com:

1. sSNAKESs.com
Your fasted growing online snake / reptile community! Forums, Classifieds, FREE Photo Gallery accounts, FREE Giveaways, Draws and Contests! Care Sheets! and much much More!!! Average pages/day 4093 pages today 2033

2. Aussie Pythons & Snakes
Online Herpetological Community/Portal. Message boards, photo/video gallery, chat, articles, downloads, links, classifieds, books, webcams, banner exchange and much more. Great for any reptile enthusiast. Average pages/day 1335 pages today 972

Ok I want to make APS #1 (the other site is Canadian) so I suggest we make a maximal effort to knock sSnakess off its perch.

One weekend we should look at as many APS pages as we can (go through and rate every photo for example). Until we make #1.

A bit of fun and a good thing for APS (might make a few of the snake big boys :shock: take notice)

What do people think?

Cheers Hawkeye[/u][/b]

G'day Hawkeye

I think you're on the right track but I think we can do better. Why don't we try to make APS long term #1. We should try to figure out what makes SsnakesS so 'looked at'. I've been there a few times and there's good stuff but no 'community' feel to the place. So what could it be that makes it so popular. We have a worldwide presence so we should be able to attract more members.

Could we try to find out what it is that people go there for. Is it to view the for sale items or do they have a bigger audience because they have a wider variety of snakes available to discuss.

I just had a quick look at SnakesS again - haven't been there for a few weeks. I think what they do have that we seem to lack (not totally) is more detailed info. The forum on Enclosures looks really interesting. It's interesting to me because I'm starting out in the herp field and want to find out what other people have done re enclosures heating cooling feeding and anything to help me get it right. What we seem to have is a more general conversational site. I really like this aspect and that's what makes our site different and quite special. I would however like to see more detail. I know we have the care sheets and some of them are excellent, but they are static. I also think that because our site is so personal (chatty) this could be a little offputting to some potential newcomers. Maybe we could look at increasing the forums to include Enclosures, structure, breeding who knows - any ideas??

Don't get me wrong - if the choice is to stay as we are or change and loose what we have - I'll stay as we are, but I'd like to see a little more detail if that's possible.

JMO but..... I believe we are treading dangerous waters here and if we go off chasing ratings there is a very real chance that we will lose what we have here. The community spirit here is just fantastic, there is no other word for it, and I would hate to see that lost. I have seen the results of ratings chasing at other sites in the aquarium hobby and with the exception of one it has always resulted in failure and in a couple of case shutdown of the site. For what it is worth my opinion is, "If it's not broke, don't fix it".

I would rather get a good Australian member base by getting good coverage in Australian herp societies and web sites than go chasing some Canadian site for top spot. But if it tickles your fancy, go and rate tons of photos :wink:

I agree that chasing ratings long term is not my idea. What I wanted to do was just knock it off once to make people take notice. I come back to this site because of the way it is. Basically you can say your ideas and no-one piddles on your fire.

Some people helpfully explain that what I don't know about snakes could be written on the back of the great wall of China but I never feel offended and generally there is a really good vibe on this site.

I just thought there must be other people like Python and Almaron and others around that really contribute to the site and if we make a little effort we can get their attention.

Cheers Hawkeye

hey sj is there a caresheets section on this site if not could you make one where people can post caresheets in
just a suggestion

nevermind i found it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
could you perhaps put it on the main menu in the community section as this may attract more users :)

I think you're right SJ - this is an Aussie site and a lot of what I've read on other sites are of little interest to me - I like Australian fauna and this is the Australian Pythons & Snakes. I would like to see more technical detail. I'd like to be able to have somewhere to put details of how I constructed my enclosure and some of the other ideas on furnishings and hardware etc. This sounds like and extra forum. The main focus of our site is the conversational contribution and that's what makes it fun to use - to stay tuned to the current topics. I think I've rambled a bit here.

If you, or anyone has any suggestions for new forums, make a topic in the APS Discussion and by all means tell us what your ideas are.

How about a "I've got a new snake" forum moderated by Greebo? :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

Seriously though how about a Newbie forum so that people can feel a little bit less threatened about posting. I'm sure that in reality people can post in nearly any area and be helped but sometimes a newbie area can help people who don't feel up to asking "stupid newbie questions" (of which there are none by the way) on the genral forums. Sort of a psychological thing right Mel?

One thing I will say is that I think the banner exchange thing was a good idea. This site is a little hard to find by conventional means without them. Only way I bumped into this site was 'cause Amanda posted a thread on one of Wulf's site, and he made reference to it. I like the "homey" feel of the forums. I also very much like the rather narrow focus of the subject matter elsewhere on the site. This is after all a site about Australian Pythons. One thing I wouldn't mind seeing in reference to the care sheets, is maybe sub-catogories of articles by species. Just a thought. Anyway, it would be cool to see this #1 on the list at least once, 'cause in my book it is #1. :D

not a bad plan there hawks :) would make it easier for those people browsing who have questions but are unsure of getting shot down hehe

Neewbie forum is a Good idea Hawkeye. It does mean though that for the newbie to get oldbie experienced (answers) then people that would like to
help must also frequent these forums. Having seen that the Greebs finds some of these posts a bit tiresome ( and in principle I agree), we still need people like the Greebo to respond to these questions otherwise we loose the vallue of his experience. So I think there should be a newbie citchat forum to house that type of chitchat.

We need to split the genuine newbie questions from the general newbie ravings - maybe we could have a BOT that could auto respond to things like 'My new little baby diamond Snap! is just so cute'.

SNAP

Sensative New Age Python
New Python of Sensative Age
Age of Sensative New Python
:roll:

you will get bored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back