Torndirrup National Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
Yesterday I went for a hike in the Torndirrup National Park. For those who don't know, this is where the famous Gap is located. It's a natural land bridge. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos as the camera's batteries had gone flat by then. Most of the vegetation had been burned off a while back, but it's making a comeback. It was a little disappointing to only see one lizard species, but it was probably the wrong time of day, as I went an hour after midday. It was nice and sunny, but the wind was strong and very cold. It was particularly strong when standing on top of the rock, you had to be careful not to blow off. People have lost their lives in the Torndirrup National Park.

bigrockaps.jpg
bigrock2aps.jpg
rockwateraps.jpg
bigrock3aps.jpg
smallskinkaps.jpg

A South-western Crevice Egernia (Egernia napoleonis). This was the best photo I could get. They were very timid. I saw one other but it fled for cover long before I could get the camera ready. Sigh. Another species to add to the wish list. I need to stop going out and seeing lizards.

Below, is a photo of their habitat.

littlerocksaps.jpg
rockandseaaps.jpg
concaverockaps.jpg

And this was just an interesting shaped rock.

I hope you enjoyed the photos.

Quite a few SW Carpets & V. rosenbergi along that coast too, from around Yallingup all the way to east of Esperance, Cape LeGrand and beyond.

Jamie

I've seen Varanus rosenbergi all over the south west, but I've only ever seen wild carpet pythons on a farm near the Stirling Ranges. One large specimen, probably female, was seen exiting a rabbit burrow near the sheep yards on a particularly cold morning. I remember having two encounters at different times of carpet pythons in the shearing sheds, although I'm not sure if they were the same animal or not, as that was a long time ago. Another encounter was in spring when we were whipper snipping some long grass and we saw a python and had him moved out of harm's way. Most of my "herping" happens during the day - that may be why I haven't had many encounters with pythons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back