trap the free roaming cat , but do it humanely in an RSPCA approved trap and then get deal with it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttylizardguy

Reaction score
Saw this ,
Victoria's RSPCA investigates alleged animal cruelty after pet cat found in illegal leghold trap
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...egal-leghold-trap/ar-BB14U8Q4?ocid=spartandhp

and of cause , ultimately the fault lays with the cat's owner who let the bloody cat out to roam about freely and to kill and torture anything it can catch . BUT THIS ASPECT is not even mentioned in the story.

The focus of the story is outrage over cruel treatment of the cat .

Well yes , using a wire leg trap is a pretty bloody cruel way to trap any animal.

I've seen what it does, as a kid in the 60s and 70s, we caught rabbits using wire snares, and spring loaded jaw traps. NASTY injuries inflicted , but we never left the trapped rabbits to suffer and dispatched them quickly by snapping their necks ( we were catching them to eat when camping ), we caught foxes the same way ( they took a 22 round in the temple to finish them) , and when I was old enough to hunting pigs with my dad , wild pigs too ( a 303 round at short range between the eyes sorted them out ).

BUT I can understand why someone would do this , especially if they've asked the owner to control the cat very frequently TO CONTROL IT only to be fogged off or worse ( be told to bugger off and stop picking on their cat , and " cats will be cats , get over it " ) , MAYBE even trapped it in an RSPCA approved trap ie
https://www.amazon.com.au/Possum-Pe...qmt=e&keywords=cat+trap&qid=1591098081&sr=8-1
and then had the RSPCA or council ranger collect it ( only to return it the owner if it's microchipped - bummer !! ) , good luck trapping a cat again after it's been trapped once .

So the cat keeps coming back , keeps on mating under the house, under the bloody bedroom window, digging up the garden , ****ting all over the place, killing pet birds, killing wild reptiles, frogs, birds, smaller native animals on your proper …. what to do ? ( a single cat can kill every single lizard , frog, ground nesting bird , ) in entire residential area as far as 10 residential blocks away from it's home ) ,and I've seen a cat pull a full grown possum out of a tree …. so this person decided to catch it the only way they could ( good luck buying steel-jawed trap without a permit , and unfortunately someone discovered trapped cat and now it's become big issue and very likely person who trapped the cat will end up in front a magistrate and like cop a huge fine all because some idiot cat owner refused to accept responsibility for keeping the cat controlled properly.

Personally I'd like to see it made legal to bait free roaming domestic and stray cats in urban areas , too many of the vermin about and too many cat owners are idiots.

Last edited:
Won't be too nimble anymore i wouldn't think

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No , at least most able bodied animals should be able to get away from it when it's idiot owner lets it back out to roam 24/7 as per their habit.

My suggestions are : pellet gun, 22 if you have it, ball bearing firing sling shot, a slug or steel pellet or 22 round in it's rump will hurt like hell ,but wont cause any permanent damage and will send the cat packing quick smart , and bit of luck it'll never come back if trapping (humanely) didn't work out with it either rehomed somewhere far far away or put down.

Last edited:
No , at least most able bodied animals should be able to get away from it when it's idiot owner lets it back out to roam 24/7 as per their habit.

My suggestions are : pellet gun, 22 if you have it, ball bearing firing sling shot/ slug / pellets in it's rump, will send the cat packing quick smart , and bit of luck it'll never come back if trapping (humanely) didn't work out with it either rehomed somewhere far far away or put down.
I guess the only solution is not too get caught. I'm guessing the cat won't want to go out for a while as it will realise it might become prey itself

I guess the only solution is not too get caught. I'm guessing the cat won't want to go out for a while as it will realise it might become prey itself

I think so .

There are PERMANENT solutions that will make a cat "disappear". Wont go into those as there are cat lovers on this board.

I do remember in the 70s my dad taking a stray cat ( that showed up in our yard and my baby sisters wanted to keep ) away in a Hesham bag with brick in it and dropping off Ash Island bridge in the deepest part of the river.
I know farmers who shoot all cats on sight ( and they then get mulched ) , becoming good cats.

I think so .

There are PERMANENT solutions that will make a cat "disappear". Wont go into those as there are cat lovers on this board.

I do remember in the 70s my dad taking a stray cat ( that showed up in our yard and my baby sisters wanted to keep ) away in a Hesham bag with brick in it and dropping off Ash Island bridge in the deepest part of the river.
I know farmers who shoot all cats on sight ( and they then get mulched ) , becoming good cats.
If dogs aren't allowed to roam the streets i don't see y it's ok for cats. If i see any in my back yard, near the bird or lizard aviaries I'm tossing rocks at heads.

If dogs aren't allowed to roam the streets i don't see y it's ok for cats. If i see any in my back yard, near the bird or lizard aviaries I'm tossing rocks at heads.

Yes , I agree , why do cat owners get special treatment ?

I also treat trespassing cats harshly. I no longer bother trying to reason with the owners (if I can even find them , is pointless trying with most of them ) , it comes on my property , it's fair game , I have a trap and will set it (I keep a few cheap tins cat food under the sink for this ) , if I catch it , it's never going back home ( it vanishes ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back