Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the central coast we have had a real problem with this. Over the past 6 months there have been 4 complaints in the paper that all snake relocators they are clling will not help them. All four times it has been a red belly and all four time ARC couldnt come out. There was also a write up apparently ARC told one worried owner just to leave it and it will go away. (Was nestng under front steps of house). Perhaps get more vollies that can cover days you all happen to be working.

We would love more snake catchers to join our team, how about yourself?? if you see this as a problem then maybe you could help. That's how we all became involved.... seeing a problem and trying to help.

Before you start making remarks about us at ARC that aren't true,

"There was also a write up apparently ARC told one worried owner just to leave it and it will go away. (Was nestng under front steps of house)."

These are the facts, Wildlife Arc is a volunteer organisation. We do not have insurance cover for our relocators to catch venomous snakes in confined spaces under houses, or in roofs. We also have no insurance for destroying property to get at snakes. This is what the phonies are told by the management and this is then passed onto the caller. This is what happened with the RBBS that was "nesting" under the house. Some phonies will pass on calls to me regardless and then its up to me. Some of us are quite capable and willing to remove snakes regardless, and we do. In this case the phonie didn't know and just passed on what they knew to be the rules.

We catch and relocate hundreds of snakes every year, not to mention the callouts where the person has been told to keep an eye on the snake and we get there only to find that they didn't watch it and it has now gone and they can't do us the courtesy of a phone call... This is an exasperating situation when we leave our job for an hour or so only to have this result.

We also try our best to get the truth about our snakes out there and how to deal with them, at every call out, demonstration and media scene, and sensationalised newspaper articles like this one do nothing but fortify unrealistic fear, and keep our community in a very backward way of coping with life in Australia with regard to our reptiles.

I am only to well aware of the fear that people can have of snakes and it should not be ridiculed like this poor woman has been. I blame the journalist.

So how about it Hickey? maybe you could be the solution...or part of.

red belly bite

ha ha typical media drum up /// a few weeks ago we had a local rag do a story about a young girl that was returning home from school and was bitten on the foot/leg by a red bellied (dont think it was of the king size);) anyway she claimed her phone was flat so she ran a km home and her mum took her to the hospital at Kingaroy ...anyway when speaking to the mother ,the mother said "lucky her daughter was only bitten once ,because snakes dont envenomate on the first bite !!" I dont know which idiot told her that crap ...but if this is true obviously the eastern brown that bit my husband didnt follow that one bite rule ....anyway the girl was fine and another snake media hype was born ...

JUST LOVED READING YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR DAUGHTER, YOUR COMMENT IS JUST AS BAD AS THE LOCAL RAG..AH WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE SNAKE AND HOW SHE GOT TO HOSPITAL:D AND AS WE ALL KNOW THE LOCAL NEVER GETS THE STORY CORRECT.. WE ALL KNOW SNAKES DONT ENVENOMATE ON THE SECOND BITE, SO WHOS THE IDIOT,, THE READER OR THE RAG AS YOU WOULD PUT IT:evil: I READ IT MYSELF AND COULD NOT BELEIVE THEY WROTE THAT.. SO CALLING PEOPLE IDIOTS AND NAMES JUST AINT SO POLITE..:?AND HOPE YOUR HUSBAND RECOVERED OK AS OUR DAUGHTER DID..THANKS ALOT

Last edited:
JUST LOVED READING YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR DAUGHTER, YOUR COMMENT IS JUST AS BAD AS THE LOCAL RAG..AH WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE SNAKE AND HOW SHE GOT TO HOSPITAL:D AND AS WE ALL KNOW THE LOCAL NEVER GETS THE STORY CORRECT.. WE ALL KNOW SNAKES DONT ENVENOMATE ON THE SECOND BITE, SO WHOS THE IDIOT,, THE READER OR THE RAG AS YOU WOULD PUT IT:evil: I READ IT MYSELF AND COULD NOT BELEIVE THEY WROTE THAT.. SO CALLING PEOPLE IDIOTS AND NAMES JUST AINT SO POLITE..:?AND HOPE YOUR HUSBAND RECOVERED OK AS OUR DAUGHTER DID..THANKS ALOT

glad your daughters ok,
yes we realize what the medias like and dont hold people like yourself responsible with the crap they write sometimes,but the below statement you did make,

..."We all know snakes dont inject venom on second bite"???

thats a very bold statement,from where would you draw such knowledge??

All caps aside, maybe redbellymother meant that we all know that snakes don't -only- inject venom on the second bite, and never on the first? Seems logical given the context of the previous misattributed statement paraphrased from the article :)

ahhhh actually i think your right killimike ,that makes alot more sense.
sorry for any misunderstanding
Mrs Redbellymother,can you explain to us the actual events aside from what the newspaer said,and did your daughter get a dry bite??

gee, looks like you have a little trouble reading,

INJECT.. please...if your going to state quotations,, get it right mate,
,another journalist on the pipeline, again......

No trouble reading, you just aren't making any sense...

ahhh thanks killimiki. just a simple word ...ONLY...
thats all i needed to say..
cheers redbellymother

sense ..so you would make comment on something you know nothing about

THAT MAKES SENSE............

It is extremely frustrating when you find an incident that you have a vested interest in being discussed by a bunch of ; in the main; armchair experts on an internet forum. Be aware that if you talk to the media then expect people to believe what they have read; initially. The article makes some incorrect statements that could, in effect, cause someone who has been bitten to become seriously ill or die if they accepted them as truth. A venomous snake can envenomate(inject venom) on every occasion that it bites. It may not as some species often will give a dry bite. Several of the respondents here are very experienced. It is good that your daughter recovered especially as she did everything wrong after being bitten. I hope you and your family have taken this opportunity to familarize yourselves with proper post snakebite procedure.

EXPERT PETE HEY>>> . shes a brave young girl for what she went through mate..and again thank you for your thoughts of smart ;;;jounalism. again!!!!! its a good laugh looking at all your comments.coming from such EXPERTS.there are always people like "the snake forum: who have their say...hahahaha.
as for snake procedure,,bite us

cheers

Last edited:
as for snake procedure,,bite us

Ummm... I think perhaps you should calm down a little redbellymother. Peter sounds genuinely concerned about your family understanding what to do if bitten by a snake in future, as your daughter clearly didn't know what to do.

Yeah that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Does that mean next time you will do the same thing and potentially not have such a fortunate outcome?

Your intelligence is amazing....

From someone who has been bitten on an occassion or 2..they can envenomate on each bite some species will envenomate almost every time others its around 30% of the time for defensive bites.

"King Sized" black snakes are few and far between, how big was this king sized black snake.

Lastly Black Snakes are pussy cats only biting if annoyed, they don't chase or attack things 100 times their size without being forced to do so.

Cheers,
Scott

excuse me, redbellymother , I was actually having a go at the paper NOT YOU OR YOUR DAUGHTER !!! ...the idiot I was reffering to,was who ever claimed that the snake only envenomates on the second bite ...was totally talking about media hype ..nothing personal to you ..OBVIOUSLY IT IS YOU THAT DOESNT UNDERSTAND .... and I hope you have told your daughter for her own safety if ever and I hope not, but if ever she is bitten again ,she is to remain sitting and call for help ..for if that is true, that she ran home a km ..the next time she may not make it ... and that is truthfully speaking ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back