Treatment for mites, has anyone else tried this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ittybitty

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im just curious as to whether anyone else has tried this method for killing mites on snakes. What your opinions are.. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself can give a bit more info..

When I purchased one of my juvenile carpets back in June, I brought her home, and realised she had mites, didnt appear to be many. I know it was probably irresponsible of me for not realising before i bought her, but it was the first snake Id bought in 3 years, and the one I already had I have had for 3 years, and never seen a mite.

Anyhow, i took her up to our local vet. And he told me to use a syringe and put one drop of ivomectin just behind her head. Seeing how we use it for our dogs, and birds, I have heaps at home. I still wasnt overly sure about using it on a snake, so rang the well known reptile vet in my area, and he didnt know whether or not it would be harmful on the snake.

Well, I tried it anyway, and the next day, the mites were dead. There were more than I first thought, as they were all dead on the paper in her tub. It has now been almost 3 months since the treatment, and she is fine. Happy, healthy, eating fine etc.

Has anyone else here heard of Ivomec being used on reptiles for parasites??? Just curious as to whether its a good idea?

Cheers

Ashlea your snake is happy and showing good results with nil effects. That should be good enough indication as to successfully treating mites. Ppl use Ivomec to control mites on the rodents that are fed to the snakes and I haven't heard of that effecting them, either.

Just be careful what Ivomec you use. Our vet treated a bird in my shop once for that scale mite around his beak and feet, but she used the one you use for the dogs - Ivomec for Sheep. She said that the cattle ones are different and would have killed the little bird, but the sheep one cured his scale-mites very well.

That is very interesting to remember.

My coastal had mites and I was going to use Ivermectin, however the Vet said to use Advocate (dog flea treatment) as Ivermectin can be quite harmful if too much is accidentally used. The Advocate worked a treat too!

I don't lean either way, I think both are effective treatments, as I'm sure you're snake agrees.

The actual drug is called Ivermectin and it is unquestionably very effective against parasites, both internal and external. However, the drug is also very toxic and should never be administered orally or by injection. Topical application is the only way it should be applied and it is important it is sufficiently diluted to ensure no harm comes to the reptile. Young snake are rather sensitive to it and turtles extremely so. Consequently it should never be used on chelonians or in their environment and only used topically at the appropriate dilution, with extreme care on young snakes. It is sold as a cattle and sheep wormer under the brand name Ivomec.

Blue

This is very good to know
The thought of mites on my snakes really worries me as I know it only takes one of the little demons to jump on me and come home and my collection will be infested..........thanks for sharing !!

I had a problem with mites lately and found 'MAC reptile insecticide' to very effective with no worries about toxicity. This is exactly the same active ingredient in 'Top Of Descent' and used in the aviation industry to kill insect pests around people on planes.

The breeders I where I bought Snakey from, recommended 'misting' the enclosure with the python still in it (after removing water dish). I sprayed up into the enclosure but not onto the snake. The mist slowly fell, treating the snake and the enclosure. The toxicity only lasts 24hrs and its safe to return the water dish after that. A second treatment is recommended a week later to be sure. I removed all substrate and destroyed it and treated the enclosure again. I had been really stressed about using a chemical but after experiencing how easy it was to treat, I have no issues about using this treatment. I would be hesitant about using a more powerful treatment such as Invermectin, too much risk of getting it wrong.

I havent had trouble with mites and 'touch wood', I hope I don't have a problem with them again.

That is good know. There is no question that Top of Descent is an excellent preparation for getting rid of mite while being safe for reptiles. I assume that the “Mac Reptile Insecticide” is a cheaper alternative with the same or similar concentration of active ingredient and therefore just as effective. That is great to know. I will most certainly check out it’s specs on the basis of your recommendation. Thanks for that.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back