Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
We're having an ongoing trivial dispute - it's tearing our family apart...

What is the difference between Native and Endemic (incidentally, my answer was correct, of course....).

Rather than to bias the discussion - place what you know...

And any other trivial disputes you'd like solved - I solve them all :)

Haha.

Native - occurs naturally in that area (may be native to multiple areas).

Endemic - occurs naturally only in that area.

That's my basic understanding of it anyway..

according the ye old dctionary

Native- Indigenous.

Endemic- Regularly found. can mean both introduced and indigenous.

Although, somewhere down the track, even something indigenous where likely introduced from elsewhere. unless said species have evolved from within the area.

very confusing tho :p

Endemic species are only found in that one area or country. So that makes many Australian species endemic. Some however are also found elsewhere - GTP's etc. That's my understanding.

-Will

I dont know about the official meanings but in general use, we seem to say that 'native' means 'found naturally in australia' and 'endemic' to mean 'a native found naturally in a specific area'. For example all bottlebrushes are 'native' but then there are some that are from particular regions and grow well there compared to other varieties.

Well - some seem to be getting the right idea :) that's pretty good....

Though kirby, not so sure about your ye olde' dictionary.... Definitely confusing if that's the case!!!

simplified i guess, without going into indigenous, introduced etc.

native in regards to a continent or country. endemic in regards to area?

im pretty sure a species can be endemic to a country or continent also. just has to not be found anywhere else.
i wonder how large a scale it could go to. like could something be endemic to the southern hemishpere? (i know the odds of an animal such as this existing is microscopic but humour me)

im pretty sure a species can be endemic to a country or continent also. just has to not be found anywhere else.
i wonder how large a scale it could go to. like could something be endemic to the southern hemishpere? (i know the odds of an animal such as this existing is microscopic but humour me)

It can be used in that context. There are a number of plant species that are endemic to the Southern Hemisphere - not sure about animals.

There would be thousands of species endemic to the southern hemisphere, anything endemic to australia is by definition endemic to the southern hemisphere as well.

Haha.

Native - occurs naturally in that area (may be native to multiple areas).

Endemic - occurs naturally only in that area.

That's my basic understanding of it anyway..
+1

according the ye old dctionary

Native- Indigenous.

Endemic- Regularly found. can mean both introduced and indigenous.

Although, somewhere down the track, even something indigenous where likely introduced from elsewhere. unless said species have evolved from within the area.

very confusing tho :p
What dictionary are you reading from??

I love the google definitions:

Endemism is the ecological state of being unique to a particular geographic location, such as a specific island, habitat type, nation or other defined zone. To be endemic to a place or area means that it is found only in that part of the world and nowhere else...

In biogeography, a species is defined as indigenous or native to a given region or ecosystem if its presence in that region is the result of only natural processes, with no human intervention.

polar bear

So majority rules (regardless if it is correct or not) - and Melissa's suggestion must be correct....

What about pronunciation....

For example I say mandarin (for the small orange fruits) but my GF says mandarin.... (pronounced mandareen)... I end mine with rin... that's how it's spelt and sounds... surely....

Who is correct???

Is it mandarin with a rin or mandareen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back