Tropical Queensland, Cape Hillsborough Area

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Cape Hillsborough

Gus and I headed south from Paluma to the Mackay region in central coastal Queensland. This region is home to four species of Phyllurus that all have tiny distributions. We decided to spend the night at Cape Hillsborough NP due to its close proximity to the home of Phyllurus isis and Phyllurus ossa. Cape Hillsborough is a beautiful area. It is also unusual since Hoop Pine grows down to the beach. Normally, I only see these southern conifers in damp areas high up in the mountains. The trees often form an overstorey over the rocks where the Phyllurus live.

habitat_CapeHillsborough1.jpg

habitat_CapeHillsborough2.jpg

habitat_CapeHillsborough3.jpg

habitat_CapeHillsborough6.jpg

habitat_CapeHillsborough7.jpg

Cape Hillsborough is mostly covered by dry eucalyptus forest with many grass trees in the understorey. It also has sheltered areas that remain damp and support rainforest.
habitat_CapeHillsborough4.jpg

These two mountains, Mt. Blackwood (left) and Mt. Jukes (right), represent the entire known range of Phyllurus isis. We climbed one of the mountains at night but had no success with the gecko. We did find sheets of rock with crevices along the road but could not find damp creek beds within rainforest, the habitat that seems particularly attractive to Phyllurus.
habitat_CapeHillsborough5.jpg

We did encounter a few Lemon-barred forest-skinks (Eulamprus amplus) asleep on the rocks at night.
lizard_CapeHills_Eulamprus_amplus1.jpg

lizard_CapeHills_Eulamprus_amplus2.jpg

In the day, these barred skinks were abundant on rocks in the hills around Cape Hillsborough. Eulamprus is a difficult genus and can be hard to identify in the field. Four species of barred Eulamprus are possible at Cape Hillsborough so I am not certain of the identity.
lizard_Eulamprus_tenuis_ch2.jpg

lizard_Eulamprus_tenuis_ch1.jpg

Blue-throated Rainbow Skinks (Carlia rhomboidalis) were common and in their nuptial colours. Some of these were really beautiful lizards.
lizard_CarliaRhomboidalis_ch1.jpg

lizard_CarliaRhomboidalis_ch3.jpg

This area was good for Major's Skinks (Bellatorias frerei). These skinks were less wary than usual so it was possible to take better photos of the animals.
lizard_Egernia_frei_ch1.jpg

lizard_Egernia_frei_ch2.jpg

At night, we found this very nice but mortally injured Carpet Python (Morelia spilota) on the road.
snake_CapeHillsCarpet1.jpg

snake_CapeHillsCarpet2.jpg

A huge flock of Red-tailed Black Cockatoos moved through the area. Here is part of the flock over the Hoop Pines.
habitat_CapeHillsborough8.jpg

bird_RedTailedBlack_ch1.jpg

Cape Hillsborough is good for butterflies. I saw many species and was able to photograph a few.
1. Black-and-White Tiger, female laying eggs
2. Austrlian Leaf Butterfly -- these are really hard to see when they land on dry leaves.
3. Capaneus Swallowtail
4. Eastern Brown Crow. These butterflies have iridescent purple in their wings.
5. One of the Grass Yellows.
butterfly_BlackandWhiteTiger1.jpg

butterfly_AustralianLeaf_ch1_400.jpg
butterfly_Canopus_ch1_400.jpg

butterfly_EasternBrownCrow1_400.jpg
butterfly_sulfer_ch1_400.jpg

This young Blue-faced Honeyeater was sunning up in a treetop. It looks quite ugly here but they have a bright blue face when they mature. I will have photos of adults in my Cape York post.
bird_BlueFacedHoneyeater1.jpg

flower_CockneyApple_ch1.jpg

Mt. Ossa Area

We also visited the small hills of the Mt. Ossa area. These hills are covered with rainforest. We decided to walk up a creek bed to try to reach higher and damper forest. As usual, we had to do a great deal of rock hopping and occasionally climb around boulders or small waterfalls.
habitat_MtOssa1.jpg

habitat_MtOssa2.jpg

We finally reached an area that looked promising. This area had large boulders with cracks.
habitat_ossa1.jpg

habitat_MtOssa3.jpg

We were successful and with lots of searching, found 3 of our targets. Two of these had original tails and one had a regenerated tail. These geckos were wary and would run when exposed to light. These seemed to have longer legs than other species.
Mt. Ossa Broad-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus ossa)
lizard_Phyllurus_ossa3.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa1.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa2_400.jpg
lizard_Phyllurus_ossa4_400.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa5_400.jpg
lizard_Phyllurus_ossa8_400.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa6.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa7.jpg

Lemon-barred Forest-Skinks (Eulamprus amplus) were often seen asleep on the sides of boulders.
lizard_Eulamprus_amplus2.jpg

This Brown Tree Snake (Boiga irregularis) gave us a real fright. We heard a mammal crashing through the brush on the opposite side of the creek. We watched that area as we stepped forward. When we looked down, we saw this snake about a meter from our legs. It had reared and was ready to strike. Taipan flashed through my mind but then we realized that it was just a tree snake.
snake_Boiga_irregularis_ossa1.jpg

This Wompoo (a.k.a., Magnificent Fruit Dove) appeared to have crashed into a sheer wall of rock. Its body was lying beneath the rock but otherwise did not show damage. We heard the "wallock-a-woo" calls of the birds often in the late afternoon when we climbed the gully.
bird_wompoo1.jpg

This longicorn (Cerambycid) was huge and colourful.
arthro_beetle5.jpg

These Capaneus Swallowtails are some of the few Aussie Swallowtails with swallowtails.
butterfly_Canopus_ossa2.jpg

butterfly_Canopus_ossa1.jpg

Evening Brown
butterfly_EveningBushBrown_ossa1.jpg

Regards,
David

looks like ya had an amazing trip..awesome pics

Here are a few more pics of the leaf-tail. I don't think that there have been many pics of it on the various herp forums.

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa10.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa9.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_ossa11.jpg

Regards,
David

Wicked photos David. I gotta get a life.
If you dont mind me askin, what sort of camera/lens do you use, and how close to the subject do you have to be to get those type of results?

Respect,
Steve

Thanks, all.

Steve, I use a Canon 40D with a 480EX external flash and either a Canon 100mm macro or a Tamron 18x250mm zoom lens.

Regards,
David

The walk at Mt. Ossa was memorable in more ways than one. When Gus and I were making our way out of the gully, we had to make descend a small waterfall. Gus, being young, agile and superfit simply scrambled down the tiny ledges. These worried me so I decided to climb up and around the rock ledge. While descending the slope, I had to force my way through thickets with lots of vines. It was not easy to see since there was so much reflextion of small vines and twigs from my headlamp. Suddenly, I felt intense pain in my legs, arms and side. When I looked where I was, I realized that I had just passed though a young stinging tree. The pain that night was intense and I only slept for a couple of hours. It took about 12 hours before the pain subsided to a tolerable level. Even now, nearly three weeks later, I still have a dull burning itch from the silica hairs that are embedded in my skin. At least the toxin from these is long gone and it is just annoying rather than painful.
plant_stingingtree.jpg

StingingTreeSign.jpg

These are plants are well worth avoiding!

Regards,
David

Great stuff, I really do love those leaf tails, their camouflage is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back