Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
This report covers the area between Cooktown and the Atherton Tablelands. Nick, Holly and I went for a night drive on my final night in Cooktown. The next day, I headed south and stopped whenever I saw interesting habitat. The trip to Malanda in the Atherton Tablelands took most of the day.

This is a view of the Cooktown area at the mouth of the Endeavor River.
habitat_Cooktown1.jpg

Those distant plateaus looked very inviting.
habitat_Cooktown4.jpg

This wetland was on the outskirts of Cooktown. It was a seasonally flooded area that is surrounded by paperbarks. Portions of the reserve had been burned but there was deep leaf litter in some areas and this was attractive to the small skinks.
habitat_Cooktown3.jpg

habitat_Cooktown2.jpg

Magpie Geese were abundant on the swamp as they are in almost any northern wetland:
bird_MagpieGoose.jpg

Green Pygmy Goose -- nicely marked little waterfowl.
bird_GreenPygmyGoose1.jpg

Australian Jacana or Lotusbird -- common on the lily pads.
juvie
Jacana1.jpg

adult
bird_Jacana1.jpg

Lace Monitor (Varanus varius) -- I heard this big lizard run and then climb a tree.
Varanus_var1.jpg

Varanus_var2.jpg

Brown Bicarinate Rainbow Skink (Carlia storri) -- This was the common skink in the leaf litter around the swamp. I rested on the ground and watched this little lizard. After awhile, it must have felt that I posed no threat and it relaxed. Suddenly, it shot over to the base of a nearby tree and captured this spider. The spider was large for the skink and they fought for a few moments before the skink killed and then swallowed the arachnid.
Carlia_storri2.jpg

Carlia_storri3.jpg

Carlia_storri1.jpg

Closed Litter Rainbow Skink (Carlia longipes) -- common around the swamp.
Carlia_longipes5.jpg

Carlia_longipes2.jpg

1, 2 Common Crow
3, 4 Blue Argus -- a blue version of a Painted Lady
butterfly_Crow1_400.jpg
butterfly_Crow2_400.jpg

butterfly_argus2_400.jpg
butterfly_argus1_400.jpg

Black Mountain -- This area was a few kms south of Cooktown. The black hills are not all that extensive but are the home of three endemic herps.
habitat_BlackMtn1.jpg

habitat_BlackMtn2.jpg

Cycads were abundant here.
habitat_Cooktown5.jpg

plant_Cycad1.jpg

Black Mountain Rainbow Skink (Carlia scirtetis) -- I only saw this at dusk this year. The days were hot and the skinks must have been sheltering in their crevices until late in the day when it was a little cooler. These little skinks are bold and curious. They would run right up to me if I stood motionless on a boulder.
lizard_Carlia_scr1.jpg

Nick and I searched the rocks at night with hopes of finding Black Mountain Geckos (Nactus galgajuga) but this year, we had no success. I don't think that we moved far enough into the boulder field. Nick did find several Ring-tailed Gecko (Cyrtodactylus tuberculatus) including this cute little kid.
1, 2 -- a juvenile
3, 4 -- adult:
RingTailedGecko1.jpg

RingTailedGecko6_400.jpg
RingTailedGecko4_400.jpg

RingTailedGecko5.jpg

Brown Tree Snake (Boiga irregularis) -- We saw this snake on the road at night.
Boiga_irregularis2.jpg

Northern Death Adder (Acanthophis praelongus) -- These are such exciting little snakes. This one put on a very nice show by flattening the body.
DeathAdder10_800.jpg

DeathAdder4.jpg

DeathAdder6.jpg

DeathAdder7.jpg

The highway passed through dry country:
habitat_CapeYork1_400.jpg
habitat_CapeYork2_400.jpg

Fire-tailed Skink (Morethia taeniopleura) -- These are pretty little skinks. This one lived on a granite outcrop.
Morethia1.jpg

Morethia2_400.jpg
Morethia3_400.jpg

This river had quite a number of interesting fish. I always enjoy looking for the natives even though they are hard to photograph. Australia is home to a host of rainbow fish and some of these are dazzling with ornate fins.
habitat_Cooktown6.jpg

1, 2 -- Coal Grunter
3 -- Spangled Perch
4 -- Rainbow Fish
fish_grunter.jpg

fish_grunter2_400.jpg
fish_grunter4_400.jpg

fish_rainbow1.jpg

Regards,
David

Great photos David, Black Mountain is a great place to visit. Did you see any Cophixalus saxatilis while you were there?

Aaron

Thanks, all. I am almost finished with 2 more posts to go. The trip was certainly fun and productive.

Aaron, it was dry when I visited Black Mountains so I did not see the frog. Have you found it before? If so, I would love to see a photo. The males are supposed to be nicely coloured and different from others of the genus.

Regards,
David

Great pics, that second nothern adder is fantastic. They're great animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back