Tropical Queensland, Eungella Area

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
From the Mt. Ossa area, Gus and I drove to the Eungella Plateau. The plateau is covered with rainforest and is home to another of the 4 endemic Phyllurus that are found near Mackay.

Here are a couple of habitat shots from Eungella. These photos were from Finch Hatton Gorge, an area that is too low for the geckos. The geckos live in similar habitats but at higher elevations. I did not take any pictures of the area where we photographed the geckos due to low clouds and mists the following morning.
habitat_eungella.jpg

habitat_Eungella2.jpg

Phyllurus nepthys lives within the rainforest and can be found right on the trunks of trees. We tried a few areas in the forest without success but then visited another site where Gus has previously observed the geckos. This spot was productive again and we soon observed 10 lizards. Three of these were standing side-by-side in a crevice with just their heads protruding from the crack.

Here are a few shots of these animals:
lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys1.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys2.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys3_400.jpg
lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys4_400.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys5_400.jpg
lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys8_400.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys7.jpg

Ocellated Velvet Geckos (Oedura monilis) were common in drier habitats.
lizard_Oedura_monilis2.jpg

lizard_Oedura_monilis1.jpg

lizard_Oedura_monilis4_400.jpg
lizard_Oedura_monilis5_400.jpg

lizard_Oedura_monilis6.jpg

We saw a Pink-tonged Skink (Cyclodomorphus gerrardii) along the road at night.
lizard_PinkTongue11_Eun.jpg

Blue-throated Rainbow Skinks (Carlia rhomboidalis) were common.
lizard_CarliaRhomboidalis_Eun2.jpg

lizard_CarliaRhomboidalis_Eun3.jpg

lizard_CarliaRhomboidalis_Eun1.jpg

Saw-shelled Turtles were abundant in the Broken River. We also saw Platypus here.
turtle1.jpg

Eastern Yellow Robins (pictured) and Pale-yellow Robins were both common in the forest understorey.
bird_EasternYellowRobin1a.jpg

Rainbow Fish at Finch Hatton Gorge:
fish_FinchHatton_Rainbow1.jpg

Regards,
David

That pink tongue is a ripper, great patterning! How big were the rainbow fish, look about 50mm?

Thanks, guys.

Tonksy, the largest Rainbows would have been maybe 5cm but the others were small.

Regards,
David

Hi Moloch, great pics, The Leaf tails are at the Gorge just no-where near is common as up higher.
Did you find the Eulamprus this time?
Ads

great pix, thats an awesome looking pink tongue!!

Thanks, Ads and Chris.

The Leaf tails are at the Gorge

I did not realize that. I thought that they were only above 900m or so.

I missed the Eulamprus again. It was cool, overcast and misty while we were up top. I think that the afternoon might have been okay but we were off to a different destination by then.

Phyllurus nepthys seemed to be quite a spiny leaf-tailed gecko. The following is what I think to be a regenerated tail and it is covered with spines.
lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys11.jpg

... and an original tail:
lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys12-1.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys10-1.jpg

lizard_Phyllurus_nepthys13.jpg

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back