Tropical Queensland, Wet Tropics pt 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
This is my third and final post of photos from the Mission Beach area of Queensland. This post will include animals from Bicton Hill and from Tully Gorge. Subsequent posts will cover areas from Mackay to the Iron Range (Cape York).

Bicton Hill -- My wife and I usually walked here every morning for exercise. The trail passed through rainforest that was drier than that at Lacey Creek. Termite mounds were numerous and I heard and eventually saw a White-tailed (or Buff-breasted) Kingfisher near the lookout one day. These are forest kingfishers that nest in termite mounds. They only visit Australia during the wet summer months before returning to New Guinea.
habitat_mb10.jpg

Lace Monitor (Varanus varius) -- I saw a number of these big lizards on Bicton Hill. In the morning, they would sometimes sun themselves right on the trail. Most of the time, they were shy and hard to approach for photos. I quite like the last shot here of the monitor that was warily watching me and never emerged from cover.
lizard_mb_lace2.jpg

lizard_mb_lace6_400.jpg
lizard_mb_lace1_400.jpg

lizard_mb_lace8_400.jpg
lizard_mb_lace5_400.jpg

lizard_mb_lace10.jpg

Major Skink (Bellatorias frerei) -- These were very common skinks. Unfortunately, I usually only detected them as they ran to their burrows. Major Skinks are large but wary.
lizard_major2.jpg

lizard_major1_400.jpg
lizard_major5_400.jpg

Saproscincus basiliscus -- A common shade skink that was frequently seen within the forest. The name is a good one and I never saw one basking in full sun. They always were found in shady locations that were often damp.
lizard_SaproscincusBasilicus3.jpg

Closed-litter Rainbow Skink (Carlia longipes) -- numerous in disturbed and open areas.
lizard_CarliaLongipes2.jpg

Butterflies, especially skippers, were numerous. Here are photos of a few that I could photograph.
1 -- Large Banded Blue
2 -- Blue Triangle (a member of the swallowtail family)
3 -- Tailed Green Banded Blue, looking very tattered and near the end of its life.
butterfly_LargeBandedBlue1.jpg

butterfly_bluetriangle1_400.jpg
butterfly_tailedbandedblue1_400.jpg

1 -- Orange Bush Brown
2-6 -- various skippers
butterfly_orangebushbrown1_400.jpg
butterfly_skipper1_400.jpg

butterfly_skipper2_400.jpg
butterfly_skipper3_400.jpg

butterfly_skipper4_400.jpg
butterfly_swift1_400.jpg

Four O'Clock Moth -- strange name for a lovely day flying moth.
arthro_daymoth1.jpg

1,2 -- Cycads were abundant on the slopes of Bicton Hill. Some were as large as palms.
3 -- termite mounds. The beautiful White-tailed Kingfishers were using these as nesting sites.
plant_cycad2_400.jpg
plant_cycad3_400.jpg

habitat_mb14.jpg

Tully Gorge -- This pretty area is about an hour's drive from Mission Beach. The water looks great and is inviting ... but there is the minor problem of large crocodiles that are numerous in the river. My kids and I used to swim in one of the upper pools of the river but that area has now been closed due to croc sightings. I think that crocs probably can turn up anywhere along these rivers since the water level is so high during the wet.
habitat_tully1.jpg

habitat_tully3.jpg

Green-eyed Tree Frog (Litoria serrata (formerly genimaculata)) -- These are nice looking tree frogs that often perch several meters up in trees.
frog_gem1.jpg

frog_gem2_400.jpg
frog_gem3_400.jpg

Common Mist Frog (Litoria rheocola) -- These frogs were common along a small creek.
frog_tad1.jpg

Australian Lacelid (Nyctimystes dayi) -- These frogs live along clear, fast flowing streams. They have amazing eyelids but unfortunately, I could not get one to show me these.
habitat_tully2_400.jpg
habitat_tully4_400.jpg

frog_eyes3.jpg

frog_eyes1_400.jpg
frog_eyes6_400.jpg

Wood Frog (Rana daemeli) -- Our one and only Rana.
frog_rana1.jpg

Keelback (Tropidonophis mairii) -- common colubirds.
snake_keeled1.jpg

Blue-eye Rainbow Fish -- These pretty little rainbows were abundant in one of the small streams.
fish_blueeye1.jpg

Regards,
David

Great set of threads moloch, your posts keep me coming back to this site. Very good photography along with interesting facts make your threads fascinating.

Love the shot of the mosquito feeding on the frog, somehow seems kinda backwards....

Great shots David, good to see the frogs are doing well at Tully. I've swum in the Tully River a few times with no problems - I guess it helps knowing where to swim!

Aaron

Thanks, all.

kupper, I have Morelia photos but not from that area. There was heavy rain for a few days before we arrived but in general, the area around Mission Beach had been unusually dry. Temperatures were warm at night so I think the generally dry conditions made it difficult to find snakes.

Aaron,
The area where I used to swim was in the pools where they pull out the rafts. This year, a croc has been sighted there and now they have warning signs in the area.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back