Trying to get my water python on to rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armo6

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get one of my water pythons to switch from mice to rats. It's only his 3rd feed but my female water python who is the same age switched with no problems. He seems to have very little interest in rats. He looks hungry at first till he smells, then will leave it. Last night I tried leaving it in there for a couple hours and he just dragged it into his water dish (probably sending me a sign). It's a common problem I'm sure, I'm just starting to become a little worried as now he seems to be just waisting my rats and I know the longer he eats mice becomes harder to switch him later. Or do most of you see it as not a problem. Any help, tips or links on the matter will be appreciated :)

Dean

how long has it been since his last meal? They can go some time between meals, so try not to panic just yet. At this point, I'd be trying things like thawing a rat and mouse in the same bowl/bag (however you do it), and rubbing the thawed mouse and rat together. This way, some of the mousey scent gets onto the rat and it may be just enough to get him to try it.

I've also heard of people scenting rats with things like canned tuna, but I'm not sure how effective that is.

You could also try something I did when my water python wasn't feeding. She kept smelling her food, and even gumming it a little, but would then just let go and ignore it. So I decided to try putting her with the warm rat into a smaller container with a lid (and air holes of course!). At first she still just showed very little interest, but after a little while she decided to go for it. It was a huge relief.

There are a lot of tricks out there you can try, I'm sure you'll get your lil fella eating. All the best! Keep us updated :)

x

EDIT: Oops! Apparently I overlooked the age of the snake in question (blaming that one on sleep deprivation..). I agree with others that have suggested you wait before switching up to rats.

Last edited:
Have you tryed any other options...What has worked good for me in the past is to warm the rat up and rub onto the mouse a few times...Usually thats all it takes for them to strike and eat..Some take to rats without any hassles,but some will take a little persistence..I had the same issue with a jungle however now after 5 feeds she is eating rats without any problems,Scenting the rat has worked great for me,even squashing some juices from the mouse will help,it may take a few months..may take a few weeks..once its had a few feeds then you shouldnt have to scent anymore..Keep us updated..

Why the hurry? You are mistaken in thinking that it will be harder to switch to rats at some time in the future - the snake will do so in due course of its own accord, probably when rats become more appropriate size-wise. if it's only the third feed, it's likely that even a pink rat is a bit bigger than the snake cares to tackle. Stick to what it likes until it's ready to make the change itself.

Jamie

Third feed? Why the hurry to switch? Hatcho waters should be on mice, or quail, much better dietary content than pink rats.

Well I think my next option will be trying to get some mouse scent on the rats, and putting him in a small tub with it sounds like a good idea also. It's not that I'm in a rush I just was told by my breeder to get them into rats sooner rather then later because they become picky. Which mine already clearly is. And size isn't the issue because my female is the same size and age and ate hers no problem. It's way to big for a pinkie. Water pythons come out straight onto valvet mice.

It has only been 8 days sense last feed so hopefully a combo of mouse scent, and being past his normal eating time will get him a bit more interested.

Why the hurry? You are mistaken in thinking that it will be harder to switch to rats at some time in the future - the snake will do so in due course of its own accord, probably when rats become more appropriate size-wise. if it's only the third feed, it's likely that even a pink rat is a bit bigger than the snake cares to tackle. Stick to what it likes until it's ready to make the change itself.

Jamie

Armo6, if you don't listen to the advise of experienced members like Jamie, then why bother posting at all?

Armo6, if you don't listen to the advise of experienced members like Jamie, then why bother posting at all?

Snowman, why would I feed my snake pinkie rats when it has eatin bigger sense the day it hatched? It's not that I'm not listening cause clearly I've listened to the first 2 comments hence I am definitely going to try what both experienced members have done.

Snowman, why would I feed my snake pinkie rats when it has eatin bigger sense the day it hatched? It's not that I'm not listening cause clearly I've listened to the first 2 comments hence I am definitely going to try what both experienced members have done.

Where does he mention feeding pinkie rats?

The first two comments are from newbies. Look at peoples age and even when they joined. Hardly someone like Jamie with over 50 years experience who joined back in 05.
Like Jamie said no need to feed rats yet. More nutrition in an adult or weaner mouse.

It says in there that a pink rat is more then it would care to tackle. Besides that any way I was ment to say in previous post that he eats bigger mice then pinky rats. I don't really wanna argue with you about something so stupid dude.

It says in there that a pink rat is more then it would care to tackle. Besides that any way I was ment to say in previous post that he eats bigger mice then pinky rats. I don't really wanna argue with you about something so stupid dude.

I'm not arguing. Just highlighting that you are ignoring the best advice on this thread, from the most experienced person on this thread..... Do what you want. You wouldnt be the first newbie to neglect their pets through bad information and failing to understand snake nutrition.

That is good info it's definitely something I will also consider. He doesn't like rats now but yeah large mice is still a resort. I don't think I can get quail here.

Also be weary of feeding anything too large. It can result in prolapse in some cases.... Other times they cant digest it quick enough and regurge it in a rancid state.
There is nothing wrong with feeding two smaller items rather than a single large one.

Haha it's hardly neglecting an animal tryin to get it to eat something rather then something else. And I already said its not that I'm not listening. I don't know if what he says is right and my breeder is wrong, clearly 2 people with much experience. I would say it depends on the snake. I'm just saying my snake already eats bigger then pinkie rats??? I don't see how I'm not listening.

Yeah feeding 2 mice is definitely something I was also considering if need be.

Jamie

It's not that hard...

Don't try and get it eating quail as that can turn them off all types of rodents in the future.Try feeding it a mouse as usual then have a rat of the appropriate size ready,when it is swallowing the last bit of mouse hand feed the rat directly behind it.9 out of 10 times they will continue to eat the rat.Do this a few times then start offering rats.

Your probably right. I am probably rushing him more and he's not ready. I must have got lucky with the female. I heard there a bit more gutsy anyways. I might wait a while longer and keep him on what he eats.

Don't try and get it eating quail as that can turn them off all types of rodents in the future.Try feeding it a mouse as usual then have a rat of the appropriate size ready,when it is swallowing the last bit of mouse hand feed the rat directly behind it.9 out of 10 times they will continue to eat the rat.Do this a few times then start offering rats.

just wondering, is this a case of if I were feeding him 2 mice, then replace one with a rat of similar size??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back