turtle basking platforms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wattso

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wondering, of the turtle people who keep them indoors, do any of you use Pet-tech turtle islands? If so how do you find them? what else do you use for basking platforms? anyone else tried the new zoo-med floating turtle dock/how did you find it? my turts wouldnt go near the zoo med, didnt like it moving maybe. The turtle island is ok so far but its thick and floats "high' it can be difficult for them to climb on. Mine arnt basking as much since i started using one. I used to use pavers and they were basking daily. Any thoughts please? :idea:

Thanx Simon. turtles are ok as far as drowning risk, these are old enough, thats not a problem. The island fixes to the glass with suction cups, its designed to look like natural rock, made of foam of some kind. problem is the side with suckers can be held at a good level but the other side floats high in the water, its thick so makes it difficult to climb on except from the glass side. I may add a log to rest on the high side to weigh it down in the water a bit. Thanks again :D [bit of trivia] turtles sleep under water! Amazing eh.

how big are you turtles?
I use slate tiles stacked up to form stairs. Mine turtles are only3-4cm and they have no trouble getting up them.

Yeah, i've use that Pet-tech turtle island, it's crap if you ask me, they couldn't climb on to it.
I've just made a platform out of a sheet of glass that i siliconed gravel to. They use it a lot and it was cheap and very easy to make.

Saikrett~ they r about 10cm measured carapace length, slate stairs is not a bad idea, but like pavers takes room and im paranoid about instability, bigger turts are surprisingly strong.
Craig~ I was going to silicon glass and add pebbles but they wont be in there much longer anyway, ill use it for something else later.
BKgone~ Murrays arnt hard to care for provided you have a good understanding of their requirements. Uv, good diet, clean water are most important.

At 10 cm i think they would be nearing the size which thay could be kept outside. What are you keeping them in now? If its a fishtank i would probably go for the glass shelf

I siliconed in a glass shelf also. Had it on a slope and made mats for it for traction. It worked fine.
As to Zoomed products in general. When it comes to turtles I find most of their products well below par.

Wattso, I had my turts indoor when I first bought them as it was winter. I had them in a 5 1/2 X 2 x 2 1/2 tank and made a platform out of perspex. I built a ramp into this platform which allowed them easy egress from the water. It was made removable so when the time came for them to move outside I just pulled the platform out and had a normal fish tank again. Fairly easy to do if you are handy and the platform increases the available space for the turts. They were / are about 20 cm long in the carapace and the perspex supported them admirably :)
Hope this helps :)

Thanks all, eln is ok with the island now but the murray cant climb on, looks like ill have to put a glass or perspex shelf in afterall. appreciate replys! :D

are you going to put your turt outside later when its elder

Yeah sob, one more winter indoors and then outside pond.

close on 1 year saikrett. advice given me from the guy i bought them from suggest waiting out the first 2 winters before putting them outside. The guys been breeding turts of all kinds for years, so im happy to follow his advice. In anycase, i like to see my turts, so im happy to buy a bigger tank soon for another year inside. current tank is standard 4 ft. I will wait till i get the bigger tank[6ft] before i put in a platform with silican. wont be long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back