Turtle has food stuck in throat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lrc135

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a little problem..

My girlfriend accidently fed a piece of meat to her 6 month old turtle that was to big. The food is stuck in its throat. Is there anything we can do to get him to spit it out?

if mit can fit in to his mouth in the first place, you would think it wasn't to big.... when he opens his mouth can you see it? is he still swimming in the water?

Sorry for the late reply.. I'm on night shift this week and crashed soon after I asked the question.

I looked up a reptile vet on this site. My girlfriend took the little fella and $29 later it was gone.
She went to Paw Prints at Stafford (Bris) and was very impressed with the vet.

geez guys. theres not many people on at 6.30am....
i wish i could help, but i really have no idea....
maybe just massage it down his neck??
thats what i have to do with my python coz hes being fed on catfood....

Ahh can I ask why your python is being fed catfood?

Ahh can I ask why your python is being fed catfood?

had been really sick for alot of months with some bad advice from a stupid vet,
so i took him elsewhere and the new vet said hes too skinny and needs some quick fix food, and the easiest way to fatten something up is with a syringe and AD catfood (",)
weird huh?! but its working wonders.

if mit can fit in to his mouth in the first place, you would think it wasn't to big.... when he opens his mouth can you see it? is he still swimming in the water?
I think my turtle has some food stuck in her throat and she's not swimming underwater much and I saw her look like she was sneezing over and over. Almost like she was chocking... help?!

If you have a medium guitar pick, use it to gently pry open the turtle's mouth by placing it under the beak and twisting and have a look...
images-1.jpg 15380826_1838148799765115_105575990434814138_n.jpg

It's my understanding that continuous sneezing and declining to swim underwater are usually symptoms associated with a respiratory infection.

If the turtle has something stuck in its throat, it will be trying to regurgitate it, not sneezing... the buoyancy will be deliberate to avoid drowning, turtles use ballast like a submarine, if it was in serious trouble it would be hauling out of the water.

Be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Sorry for the late reply.. I'm on night shift this week and crashed soon after I asked the question.

I looked up a reptile vet on this site. My girlfriend took the little fella and $29 later it was gone.
She went to Paw Prints at Stafford (Bris) and was very impressed with the vet.

Glad you did that, Vet is always the best option with too many people refusing too. I used to work at a pet store and would cop so many people refusing the Vet and being insulted if I could not answer their question properly without needing a trip to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back