Turtle Lifeless and Limp HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza09

Reaction score
One of my Murray Shortnecks has been limp and lifeless since yesterday.

I regularly put them in a tank out the front of my house to let them dry out as they don't use their docks enough and their shells have shown signs of this,

Yesterday however I made the stupid mistake(and am so annoyed at myself) of leaving them there longer than the usual half and hour to an hour and when I retrieved them to return them to their tank one was the usual fiesty, but the other was almost like he was asleep.

He has continued like this through the night and has been sleeping in his floating log most of the day, we offered them both food which the other took but the sick one is not interested in

I'm not aware of any Reptile Vets locally as I am on the far south coast of NSW but will be at the vets first thing in the morning.

Should I have the turtle in a dry environment? to prevent risk of drowning?

Has anyone else been in this situation??

Any help would be appreciated.

How hot was it outside? it is probably suffering heat stress and dehydration from the heat and dryness of being in a dry tank in the sun.

Maybe put him in a tub with very shallow water, then he can just rest in the water and try to rehydrate but without the risk of drowning. Hopefully the vets can give him some fluids or something?

Good luck with it. Poor thing.

It wasn't overly hot outside as it was late afternoon when I put them out...but thats not to say that the glass tank had magnified the heat.

I'll put him straight into a tub.

Keep the advice coming guys...thanks :)

Might have to actually set up a dry area ..like on grass,make something that has caged wire on the sides and top but provde a solid shelter ,cover like half of the top ..that way the guys can still get out of the direct heat ..if needed ...fingers crossed it pulls through ..

How hot was it outside? it is probably suffering heat stress and dehydration from the heat and dryness of being in a dry tank in the sun.

Maybe put him in a tub with very shallow water, then he can just rest in the water and try to rehydrate but without the risk of drowning. Hopefully the vets can give him some fluids or something?

Good luck with it. Poor thing.
yup id say thats whats happened , id be putting it on a shallow water bowl [ just enough water so it can drink it] then tomorrow get it to the vet .

Took him/her to the Vet this morning...didn't get looked at late this arvo of course.

Vet didn't say much about the dehydration and stuff, spoke to my fiance about what he's been eating, and living etc.

However he removed a lump from his undershell that was infected and full of a puss type stuff and now he's on an injection a day of antibiotics for upto 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back