Turtle Swollowing Rocks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cid_python

Reaction score
Hey, I think my turtle has been swollowing rocks they are only really small rocks. Will he regurdutate them or will they just pass through and could he die? Hes also only about 3 cm bigger then a 50 c coin. Ill probly remove the rocks tomorrow.

Turtles, crocodiles and some other reptiles swallow rocks (or stones if they're small!) for a couple of reasons... they're called 'gastroliths' by the way -

1. as a bouyancy modifier - to help them manage their tendency to float - sort of an internal weightbelt.
2. as grinders for large food items - crocs and carnivorous turtles usually swallow very large chunks of food, and the movement of stones helps break the food up.

What your critter is doing is probably quite normal, just keep an eye on him.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Turtles swallowing rocks can kill them, it can block them. Thats why you should use turtle grit and river sand as substrate. The sand passes through and the turtle grit is dissolved and gives them calcium as a bonus. It also keeps the ph stable, good stuff. If you want some places to get some pm me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back