TV Cabinet Conversion - background... A lil help please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippii

Reaction score
Hey guys

So as some of you know, I'm in the process of converting a TV cabinet into an enclosure. The whole project hit a bit of a stand-still over the last couple months, but I'm back into it now!

I wish I'd taken more pics up until this point just for funsies lol so I could look back at the whole process.. but I plan to start taking some now. At this point, not a whole lot has been done. I've installed a radiant heat panel in one end (Still need to get a cage for it), two air vents (one at the hot end one at the cold), and I've sanded and given the inside a couple coats of clear varnish. Nothing too groundbreaking!

For the background, I've decided to go with an aged slightly crumbly looking brick wall. I've always loved the look of brick, and I think once I get the old brick wall going and add in a bunch of plants and some climbers if i can find any, I'll almost have a secret garden vibe (That's one direction I'm considering at the moment anyway). I'm still not quite decided on the brick colour, anyone want to chime in with some suggestions? I was initially thinking your average red brick, but there are definitely more out there to choose from.. There are different sandstone shades, whites, light greys, dark greys.. Guess it might end up being a bit of trial and error as far as finding the right colour.

So far I've only gotten as far as cutting out some styrofoam "bricks", texturing them with a soldering iron (outside in the fresh air with a mask of course.. TONS of fumes! Also, there was a green ant situation that wasn't overly enjoyable..) and temporarily sticking them to the back wall with a small amount of sticky tape to see how they'll all fit together (As pictured). Just need to number them now so I know where each piece belongs haha much like a puzzle

Screenshot2013-02-16at25614PM_zpsb52adb59.png

(Sorry about the quality)

Obviously I'm still going to shave some edges off some and wiggle them all around to get them sitting right before gluing them to anything. This is just a basic layout.

Can anyone tell me what kind of render I'm going to need? I vaguely remember seeing in another thread, someone had posted a picture of the render they currently had. I believe they mentioned something about render with acrylic, but I can't for the life of me find that post!

I'm also curious as to some paint brands or types people have been using, though that's not a huge worry. There's a lovely little art supply store in Cessnock where I'm sure I'll find what I need.

Then there's the issue with the sealant. I've heard of too many peoples' lovely backgrounds ending up with an almost blindingly shiny finish. Are there any sealants out there that aren't going to do that? I think I'd cry haha. I have heard it's good to sprinkle a little sand into some of the coats of sealant, does that help significantly?

Ta guys, any help would be HUGELY appreciated. I love creative projects like this, but when it comes down to finding the right render or sealant? Yeah, not my strong-suit lol I have no experience here whatsoever.

x

Last edited:
uga2yzeh.jpg

This is the pic you were thinking of, and yes, it had the acrylic added

I'd suggest having a few bricks 'sticking out' a little, it will provide a climbing spot :)

I don't know why but I keep seeing a 70s lounge room with "feature brick wall"

How very retro :)

Lol, skippy you do know you can buy big sheets of plaster board that look EXACTLY like those bricks. We have the same stuff attactched to the outside of our house (See attatchment) It's really just a thin board with fake 3D bricks, it looks great ;)
Sorry, I had to mention that :p It's looking great so far though! Keep up the good work! Any non-toxic water based paint should work a treat ;)

Attachments

• webcam-toy-photo114.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo114.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 151
As for sealant quite a few have used 'crommelins' (not sure on the spelling) pond sealer and say its not shiny, but i still have half a bucket of pondtite so I can't say if it works

Fairy Godmother to the rescue! I was hoping a DIY thread would catch your attention :D was wondering if it had been you that posted the original picture I was thinking of.

I have been considering how I could make a basking platform or climbing spot, still working on exactly how I'll do it though..

haha 70's lounge, I like it! Definitely another direction to consider. Maybe I could give him a basking sofa.

Anything to say as far as reducing the shine of sealants?

x

Oh, of course you answer my sealant question while I'm responding.. You're trying to make me look like a goof, aren't you! I'm onto you now.....

Lol, skippy you do know you can buy big sheets of plaster board that look EXACTLY like those bricks. We have the same stuff attactched to the outside of our house (See attatchment) It's really just a thin board with fake 3D bricks, it looks great ;)
Sorry, I had to mention that :p It's looking great so far though! Keep up the good work! Any non-toxic water based paint should work a treat ;)

lol yeah, I'm aware this stuff exists. I want to make my background from scratch, and I also want it to look a little more run down than the brick sheeting you can buy.. That stuff looks too perfect, no character.

Thanks though, I'll have a look out for some paint and see what I can find :)

Just go to your nearest Bunnings and ask for a bag of acrylic render. I can't remember the brand I used now but it would be in my thread somewhere although I didn't take a pic of the bag. As for the sealent mine went shini but now that it is almost together it still looks fine.

Gday mate I am doing the same thing with my enclosure although I am not using a sealant just render then paint over it that will do I think just hoping he doesn't poo and pee over the walls or I just wipe it off with f10 wipes

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and Skippii, I meant to say before as far as a starting point it looks really promising. Brick looks have a lot of potential and look great if the thickness of the bricks varies noticably as that gives you more of the look you were talking about.

Thanks Gruni! I'm definitely planning on bringing some of the bricks out a little further than others, add some more character and some extra climbing opportunities. I still want it to be a fairly simple background, nothing too crazy haha hopefully I can get the look I'm going for.

here is a couple of pics of mine havent finished painting yet and another idea for a sealer you can a spray on glue which im going to try otherwise i use liquid sandstone then paint over that hope this helps

Attachments

• DSC_0237.jpg
    DSC_0237.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0424.jpg
    DSC_0424.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 150
here is a couple of pics of mine havent finished painting yet and another idea for a sealer you can a spray on glue which im going to try otherwise i use liquid sandstone then paint over that hope this helps

Looking very cool, smiley! Wish I was up to that point.. Long road ahead for me lol. Definitely show us when yours is all finished!

yeah will do still along way to go this is a long term project as i have no room left in my house for it when finished...so dont know what im going to do when done....good luck with yours its coming along nicely skippii.....

To remove the shine from sealer just buff with some steel wool. Get the stuff they sell near the sandpaper etc not a scourer from the supermarket.

On my DIY rocks, hides and walls I used Dunlop acrylic render from bunnings. It was the cheapest they had and comes in a bright yellow packet making it pretty hard to miss. It was 20kg for around $17. As for sealer I used the crommelins clear non toxic pond sealer. I can't remember the price but I got a smallish tub and that did 4 layers on a 4x2x2 rock wall, 4 layers on multiple fake rock sort of things and 2 large hides with some still left over. Ditto the render.

I don't find the crommelins gives off too much shine so a light rub with some fine steel wool is all it needs.

Brick looks really good and a secret garden theme sounds excellent. Why didn't I think of that? :)

On my DIY rocks, hides and walls I used Dunlop acrylic render from bunnings. It was the cheapest they had and comes in a bright yellow packet making it pretty hard to miss. It was 20kg for around $17. As for sealer I used the crommelins clear non toxic pond sealer. I can't remember the price but I got a smallish tub and that did 4 layers on a 4x2x2 rock wall, 4 layers on multiple fake rock sort of things and 2 large hides with some still left over. Ditto the render.

I don't find the crommelins gives off too much shine so a light rub with some fine steel wool is all it needs.

Brick looks really good and a secret garden theme sounds excellent. Why didn't I think of that? :)

Ta! I'll be popping down to bunnings on thursday to pick up the render and sealant, and *hopefully* some paints. It's good to have some names of brands other people have had success with, I feel more confident if I know other people have had a good outcome with the products I'm using.

haha the secret garden idea didn't come to me right away, I was originally going to do like a brick wall with floyd's name written on it with graffiti style writing, and maybe an Oscar the Grouch style "trash can" hide at one end, not sure about the other end. Was kind of thinking like a grunge kinda look. After thinking it over though, I decided I really did want to give him a bunch of plants and things, which didn't fit with my original idea. A brick wall didn't really scream rainforest, and then it hit me.. old wall, some ivy type vines and plants, maybe some wisteria... Definitely a secret garden vibe there. I just *hope* it turns out as well as it looks in my mind.

Thanks for all your help so far everyone! I've been busy working on extending some of the bricks for climbing and a small basking platform today. Still doesn't look too exciting, but once i get it all stuck down and rendered/painted/sealed, throw in some plants and a snake, hopefully it'll all come together.

Pictures to come in the next couple days.

x

The graffiti style writing I was planning to use (was a pain to do haha couldn't find my thicker artline pens):
Screenshot2013-02-17at52549PM_zpsbb7d01d9.png

Last edited:
Oh forgot to ask as well.. Lighting! I've seen some people use these LED strip type deals for lighting up the enclosure (just for viewing, not talking heat lamps). I had a look at one video on youtube, and they seemed to be using some kind of device to power the LED strips, instead of just having a power plug. Can anyone tell me where I might get some LED lighting from (preferably something I can just plug into a regular power socket)? I'd love if I could just tuck the lighting neatly behind the top lip of the cabinet.

I'm sue it will look great when it is finished and if not you can always to plan B... a 70's style living room. ;)

As for led lighting. I got mine from Ikea. It is one of those ones with that just stick into the top of the cage and can be cut to size. It was meant to be used for mood lighting so has a colour change sort of wheel. You can get the led strips off eBay for under $10 then get led connector then the power point converter for I think all up $30ish. I believe Gruni has one of those maybe try PM him if he does look at this thread.

My Ikea lighting cost $59 but it is really cool.

Tried the steel wool with mine and it grabbed like velcro so I decided the shine wasn't so bad... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back