Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_kid

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
On the herp tarder there is six of these guys for sale for $10,000 . Sez there are the frist in captivity sounds intresting. I was just wondering if anybody here has kept one or more of these before.

Jimmy... believe you may find young brods has some of these... not many people will have them, pretty rare methinks...

cheers

Brodie doesn't own his...they belong to the guys that's selling these ones....oops sorry Brodes... :)

Simon Archibald

well they did belong to brodie until this guy took em back...at least he can still tease us about keeping crocs and kingorum.

I have kept the Glebeopalmas before. They were wild caught from MT Isa and a little bigger than the ones offered from the NT.

I found them very nervous and flighty. Also the Qld ones were very ugly. I hope they are a bit nicer in the NT.

The way the bottom appears to have fallen out of the monitor market I think they are a tad expensive at over $1,600 ea.

ackie said:
well they did belong to brodie until this guy took em back

Brendan, they never belonged to Brodie.

bigguy said:
The way the bottom appears to have fallen out of the monitor market I think they are a tad expensive at over $1,600 ea.

I'd say closer to $2000 for the adults and $1000 for the juvies...either way, it is slightly expensive....BUT I WANT!!! And true it does seem monitor prices are dropping incredibly.

Simon Archibald

I don't think the price is that bad for there rareity if it is as true as what they say. Just look at the prices they are talking about selling the wild caught glaeurti for. From what I have heard , Simon you may know better, I think they will be going for $5000 and adult pair and $1000 a hatchy. That equates to $12000 in my books.

Daz,
Gavin was talking at the Wild Expo about the prices of the Varanus glauerti (which you've remembered correctly) but with these glebs he is selling, maybe the price of the glauerti will be reduced more in line with them.

As I understand it, the permits for taking the Varanus glauerti were granted for conservation purposes to establish captive populations before Cane Toads destroy the wild populations. I think they were collected from Bullo River Station. With this in mind, Gavin's main punchline on their pricing was to make them affordable enough for keepers to consider them, but dear enough to detract irresponsible or inexperienced keepers.

While I would LOVE to buy some, I simply don't have the funds. Even with such high prices, I would probably buy them anyway because I'm too damn impulsive. :)

Also, as I understand it, Gavin has eggs of both species in the incubator already....so possibly the buyers of these animals wouldn't have the market monopoly that they thought they would have.

Simon Archibald

Thanks for confirming the prices mate. :D
I know what you mean by too impulsive....... :wink: :D

Simon.. what do you mean :wink: mmmmm now you only need these and let me see........ oh yeah canopy goanna and emerald monitor and perhaps we could also tempt you with some rusty's :D

How awesome are the monitors. We had this guy come in last night. Looks like he's been run over. The power these guys have demand respect.

Considering how rare they are in captivity, I don't find it too expensive. People will pay what people will pay I suppose.

As you say, the price of monitors has fallen through, I think it's a good thing. I remember wanting gillen's monitors and not being able to afford them as the cheapest ones I could find were over $1000 each. Now you can get them for well under $300 and perhaps this year they'll be closer to $200, although herp prices can jump around a bit, I remember being astonished a couple of seasons ago when children's pythons more than doubled in price! I think it's great that such awesome animals are now affordable for many more people. Same with ackies, tristis, stoors and the big monitors too, which will make things easier for me when I have the space for lacies :)

They are only worth what people are prepared to pay. I myself probably would'nt pay that, I'd proably fund a trip through south-east asia or south-america with that money!

Anyone got any reasons why the bottoms fallen out of the monitor market? I have one gilleni, and he is'nt the most enthralling captive. I'm keen to eventually get some V. brevicauda.

-H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back