• Check out the new Feedback and suggestions forum. This adds the ability to add ideas for the site and upvote/downvote them. It would be great to hear from you all in how we can boost site activity and who would like to assist with some exciting ideas from Rob and I.

Twine to Chain Feed Snakes?

Worm1

Hello, trying to get a fussy hatchling to eat mice/rats and have read about chain feeding them to help them transition, but wondered what everyone used to tie them together? Thanks!

Benno87

Not so new Member
Jute twine. The natural non died one. Can get it from Bunnings. I use it on one of mine every feed. Works great.

Ramsayi

Very Well-Known Member
APS Veteran
Trusted Seller
Don't bother with this method it is absolutely not needed.
Just hand feed a rat of the appropriate size directly behind the mouse just before the last swallow. Eg nose of the rat on the butt of the mouse.

Worm1

Just hand feed a rat of the appropriate size directly behind the mouse just before the last swallow. Eg nose of the rat on the butt of the mouse.
Actually is for this one, unfortunately, as it refuses to strike/tong feed to eat. You have to leave food in its enclosure during the evening for a few hours before it eats on its own.

Benno87

Not so new Member
The Grunt's one from Bunnings? Thanks!
Any brand is fine mate, as long as it’s all natural and non dyed.
My jag which I use the twine for will not take anything chain fed after trying plenty of times which is why I had to resort to tying.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
APS Veteran
Trusted Seller
Any old cotton is fine. I haven't bothered with this for many years but in the 90s when I was experimenting with all sort of ridiculous methods I stitched up plenty of feeds like this, sometimes with many items in the same feed. Probably the most sewing I've ever done.

Cotton isn't toxic and neither are the dyes. They literally make clothing out of that stuff. Children chew on their clothes, etc etc, it has to be safe for them to sell it. I used whatever cotton thread was around, and wasn't fussed about colour.