Two jaws better than one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoryBreaker

Reaction score
I'm not into morphs or mutations in skinks, but I had this funky Cunningham's born a few weeks ago. Seems to be active and going ok.
a063ce67164a5996961fe2ebfb2911ff.jpg
240b5b1093dab6e60fac0fa78c5092c6.jpg
2a017533b076282328a1666d89ff8d24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Poor little fella!

It's probably not genetic, especially if it was the only one in the litter, so I wouldn't call it a morph or mutation. I'd personally probably euthenise it, but if you decide to keep it you'll have quite a unique pet.

Yep, i probably will euth it but in the meantime it will remain in the outdoor enclosure with its parents.

Environmental factors are what I'm leaning towards as being the culprit.
It was a diabolically hot dry spring and it messed with a few of my usual Egernia breedings. No real rain was had until xmas eve, but by then we were in the birthing window.

Yep, i probably will euth it but in the meantime it will remain in the outdoor enclosure with its parents.

Environmental factors are what I'm leaning towards as being the culprit.
It was a diabolically hot dry spring and it messed with a few of my usual Egernia breedings. No real rain was had until xmas eve, but by then we were in the birthing window.

If it's otherwise healthy and able to feed , why would you put it down ?

If it's otherwise healthy and able to feed , why would you put it down ?

Realistically, being unable to close it's mouth properly means it's likely to at some stage develop some sort of health issue. Whether it's an infection or a drying issue leading to oral necrosis or injury or whatever else, it is arguable that euthanasia before it happens is the most kind option. As long as the owner is intelligent and reasonable, it's usually beat left to their discretion in cases like this.

@Sdaji, consider the fact that so many lizards voluntarily pant in hot weather in order to thermoregulate. Where a source of moisture is readily available in a hot and not excessively humid environment, this behaviour can be seen operating for extended periods day after day. Yet such behaviour does not predispose these lizards to attendant health issues. On this basis, I would suggest that all that is required to avoid potential issues is ready access to fresh water - the skink will then be able to regulate and maintain its hydration level as they do in nature.

So I agree with @Nutttylizardguy. If the lizard is able to eat the food normally provided, then, with access to fresh water, there should be no loss of quality of life and therefore no need to euthanize.

@RoryBreaker, this is not a genetically determined trait i.e. it is not inheritable. The developing zygote has partially split at an early stage of development, resulting in what you see. Had that split been greater, and/ or occurred at an earlier stage, the lizard may well have been born with two separate heads. This splitting of the developing fertilised egg is the same process that results in identical (monozygotic) twins. However, in this case the split has occurred later, rather than at the two-cell stage, as is the case with twins. As far as I am aware, the cause or causes of this are as yet unknown.

@RoryBreaker Thanks for posting this. It is really fascinating.

Your little guy might live to a healthy long age if he can eat without drama.
I have a western blue tongue (Tiliqua occipitalis) who was born with a deformed skull, so she has 1 eye and her jaws are misaligned. I bought her at the expo 4 years ago and she is doing fine.Yes she had a few medical issues at first, vet visits,medicine, extra feeds,etc. but she has never had corrective surgery and can eat,drink, poop etc.
Yes sometimes euthanizing can be the best thing for some creatures but it is not always necessary as Cyclops proves 20200131_195446-2241x2988_crop_448x448.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this thread has some legs.

Valid discussion everyone.

As for this little guy, he'll stay in the outdoor enclosure with his sibs and parents to see how he goes.

When handled, he does dribble a little. So hydration may be an issue going forward. It was only handled though for the pictures.

Also, the trouble with Cunningham's is that once an individual is removed from a group for a period of time (days/weeks), on 99% of occasions fight club will commence upon re-introduction (even with family members). Therefore I am reluctant to remove it from the group for any special treatment.

See how it goes is the plan for now.

@RoryBreaker Being a social species I agree that it is important it remains with its natural cohort. As I already stated, with ready access to fresh water it should exercises its natural capabilities to regulate its hydration level. The fact that it dribbled when it was picked up would indicate that it was well hydrated at that stage. Given that, it’s got to be well worth a try.

@dragonlover1 With respect to Cyclops, you said it had a few medical issues at first but indicate that it is now well past those and doing well. That would indicate that its initial problems were most likely the result of inappropriate care. Is there any special on-going care that you now provide to compensate for its deformities?

[USER=21299]@dragonlover1
With respect to Cyclops, you said it had a few medical issues at first but indicate that it is now well past those and doing well. That would indicate that its initial problems were most likely the result of inappropriate care. Is there any special on-going care that you now provide to compensate for its deformities?[/USER]

The original problems were coccidia and other bacterial problems that she had when I bought her , and she is fine and healthy now so no special treatment at all. She gets exactly the same food and water as the other skinks, the only difference is she has astro turf just to make sure she doesn't ingest any substrate

Latest posts

Back