Tympanocryptis diemensis (Mountain Dragon)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't actualy have him any more I gave him to the local demonstrator as a favor for showing me the spot to catch em I only have 2 :)

they look a bit diffrent hey Id like to see more photos if you have them. there head looks a little diffrent dont know how or why lol

I went through your photos on your flicker account and looked at the dragons. they have a yellow tongue Tasmanian ones have a red tongue. Dont jackie dragons have a yellow tongue. now im confused lol

love your photo collection by the way. what camera set up are you using ?

Last edited:
They are very different morphologically by all accounts in Tasmania but as far as genetics is concerned they are apparently exactly the same. The body shape of the ones down there seems much more "Tympanocryptic" than the ones up here to me.

Thanks most the photos on there were taken by a Olympus E3 the Pygopus lepidopodus was taken with a Nikon a friend lent me when I found it and was gutted I didn't have my own camera, and the two L.littlejohnii the most recent ones were taken with a Canon 5d Mark II, which I have just gotten and started using. These are technically my dads cameras but.....

Jackies do have a yellow-orange tongue, these guys do too. It is possible that tongue colour changes through locality or even through individuals.

cool thanks for the info :) I use a canon eos 1000d at the moment soon to upgrade to a 7d or 5dmkII but im very happy with the 1000d

the DPIW list them as Tympanocryptis diemensis and other parts of the same place call them Rankinia diemensis so its weird

the DPIW list them as Tympanocryptis diemensis and other parts of the same place call them Rankinia diemensis so its weird

They are currently Rankinia diemensis. Rankinia used to have a bunch of species but recently they were all moved into Ctenophorus apart from R.diemensis.
I certainly can see the Tympanocryptis morphology relationship in the Tassie ones but cannot for the life of me see it in the mainland ones.

last one is <<<male and female>>>> that was the day i got them :)

Yep as I assumed. You know if Tassie had more reptiles your laws would be sweet as. It's a shame you only have what you do. I wouldn't even mind the no selling law if you could keep a larger variety.

no selling but have swaping and let in some from mainland that wouldnt survive in our cold climate would be the way to do it i think

do you have any clue what will be happening what we be allowed and disallowed ?

They are very different morphologically by all accounts in Tasmania but as far as genetics is concerned they are apparently exactly the same. The body shape of the ones down there seems much more "Tympanocryptic" than the ones up here to me. Thanks most the photos on there were taken by a Olympus E3 the Pygopus lepidopodus was taken with a Nikon a friend lent me when I found it and was gutted I didn't have my own camera, and the two L.littlejohnii the most recent ones were taken with a Canon 5d Mark II, which I have just gotten and started using. These are technically my dads cameras but..... Jackies do have a yellow-orange tongue, these guys do too. It is possible that tongue colour changes through locality or even through individuals.

I live in Tassie. I would say Tassie dragon population can be very bright in color. The dull color ones are probably collected from coastal heathland. They are sand dune population... Here are some pictures of Tassie forest population in the wild. But I have to say even in the same micro habitat, the color could vary a lot. The dull color one was at the exactly same spot of the black juvenile.

In addition, Tassie mountain dragons do have yellow tongue, though I do not have pictures.

According to a very old book "Reptiles of/in Australia", The flinder island and Tassie (mountain dragon) population are larger and more spinose.

According to Hugall et.al. 2008, his research on phylogeny of Australian dragons through Mt DNA and Nuclear Comparison, got a result that among all dragon species he tested, Mountain dragons are closest to bearded dragon species.

Ok that ones pretty red. Is it like that all the time or does it dull down? All it needs to match the ones up here is to get light blue-purple colours in its stripe.
Then it could NSW dragons a serious run for their money.

I cannot prove ours are pretty but I can prove ours exist.

This video was taken in Tassie, which contains a bright-color one. I guess the different head shape you mentioned may be partly due to the spines on the gullet of Tassie dragons.

mountain dragon - YouTube

Attachments

• Black.jpg
    Black.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 79
  • red black juvenile.jpg
    red black juvenile.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 85
  • red.jpg
    red.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 101
  • dull juvenile.jpg
    dull juvenile.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Hey are you the jason That showed up at my house asking how to get to the tiger snakes near tyre right? Its Cordell here :)

Here are some of my pics. All are my captives except the first pic.
IMG_7792.jpg

IMG_8309.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

IMG_8265.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_6649-1.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg