Unhandlable python :s

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dippy

Reaction score
I bought a Bredli the other week who is unlike any python I have ever owned. I've had everything from the most placid of snakes down to the most aggressive but this little guy is a mix of aggression and fear I imagine. When I open his box he is quite aggressive and tries to bite like crazy, I do pick him up for about 3 - 4 mins until he finally sends his tail crazy and defecating everywhere -_- afterwards he still eats fine after these handling sessions so I am quite confused. Has anyone else tamed a snake like this?

Cheers

Last edited:
You need to be patient and respect when he dosnt want to be handled.

I once sold a Murray Darling that was one of the most placid snakes I've ever seen. When the guy had it for a day or so, he rang me and asked me if I'd given him the same snake he fell in love with cause it was striking every time he tried to pick it up and very cage defensive. You have to realise you've only just got this snake and they are not used to the environment they are now in. They don't know if it's a safe environment or not. The fact that he is defecating when you pick him up means he's scared. Let him settle for a couple of weeks and you may find you have a different snake than the one you described. Just be patient.

I've had him for 2 weeks, the recommended time for a snake to settle into its new surroundings. The people I got it off never handled it and so I imagine that is why it's scared, but I was just wondering if anyone knows any good tips on making him left scared as everything mentioned so far is pretty basic lol, I understand all that has been said an am doing that already. I've just never had a snake that defecates when being handled, mind you it doesn't help when his tail goes crazy and he sprays everything with poo lol.

definitely scared and spraying is also a not so subtle defence mechanism many snakes use

has it got a good hide??
is your set up similar to the one it came from?

Is there anything in your house that might be scaring it? For example, we have a total of 37 pets, and because of this, I find that some animals take quite a long time to settle in at my house. It's just sensory overload for them.

I've had him for 2 weeks, the recommended time for a snake to settle into its new surroundings.

I'm not sure if there is a '2 weeks time suits all snakes' scenario. He may need more time to settle in, make sure temps are correct, he has sufficient hides etc. Perhaps when he is exploring open his enclosure door & wait for him to come out on his terms, again this may take a while. Patience is the key.

I've had him for 2 weeks, the recommended time for a snake to settle into its new surroundings. ..l.

Two weeks is recommended by humans, but has anyone ever asked the snakes what they would like? Time is just a guide, not a guaranteed settling date. Some settle well, others don't - these ones may take longer or they never will.

Try reading him - are you moving too fast or grasping him too hard which could be causing the issues? Or maybe he is going to be one that will take longer time getting use to his surrounds. You said the ppl you got him from never handled him. So it sounds very normal behaviour. All it sees from its tiny eyes is a giant coming at it. Huge hands coming at him and big eyes and a big mouth (sorry, not calling you a big mouth, just saying the snake things your mouth is big enough to eat him). He wants to run to save himself from a potential predator. You know you aren't going to hurt him, but he doesn't. Not all animals are the same - some a calm, some need more work to gain their trust.

I have a Bredli that acted the same way. I have had him for around six months now and he is starting to calm down now. He will still bite most times i get him out and he gets freaked out by my arm hair when his snout touches it. He still poops everywhere when he gets all worked up but that's not often at all anymore.
I had to keep him in a giant click clack because he just went crazy when he was in an enclosure with glass but has now just gone into one in the last month but he still doesn't like anyone near his cage so it's in the fair corner of my herp room.
To be honest he is a challenge but that's why He's one of my favorites.

i think its just fear to a new area, the smoothest transition Ive had was a pair of spotteds a little while back. the guy gave me the hide with them. just that 1 thing the same they didn't even seem to notice they changed owners.

Thanks for the help guys, he is becoming slighty more handleable as he doesn't poo evey time I get him out, and he is now in a large click clack with a hide. He even came up and licked at my nose and ear yesterday, still quite bitty but he should settle with more handling. Just hope the poor guy learns that I'm not gonna eat him lol

If he is small try to cup him in your hands as they are dark and warm You should fell him moving, when he stops lift your top hand off and normally they just sit there

are you picking it up from above (like from a tub?) or out from the side (like a normal sliding door enclosure)
i know my dragons are scared from the top not the front/side
imagine a giant trying to grab you from above.... whould you shat ya dacks too

The best thing you could do is leave him alone - for a long period (outside of feeding/cleaning times). A small python has an instinct to protect itself when it feels threatened, and so trying to handle him is only going to cause more problems. Down the track - when he's not so little - you could start handling him for short periods to see how he reacts. It really comes down to their temperament; I have a vicious jungle that I feel wants to kill me while i'm sleeping, but then my other jungles are all fine. You might just have a bad temperament python, and nothing will fix that. Best of luck - I hope all goes well.

regards,

Lockie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back