unknown lizard species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first impression based on just the top of the skink is it's a common garden skink.
Garden Skink (Lampropholis delicata)

It's location and estimated length (S(nout)TV(ent) or STT (end of tail)) would help.

They are great little skinks to have about your garden.

Yeah I reckon it's your standard garden skink...we have millions of the little champs in our yard- I am guessing you are in SEQ ? They look almost identical to the critters we have around here... They are fun to watch - wrestling each other and sunbaking in the weirdest of places- wherever the sun touches and they feel safe.

Length and Location

My first impression based on just the top of the skink is it's a common garden skink.
Garden Skink (Lampropholis delicata)

It's location and estimated length (S(nout)TV(ent) or STT (end of tail)) would help.

They are great little skinks to have about your garden.

Hi, I would estimate about 15cm. The location was in the swampy boardwalked area, just south of Trener Reserve on the coastal path running south of Coogee beach.

Based on the suggestion of Eulamprus quoyii above, I checked other photos of this species, and tend to agree. Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated

OK , I didn't spot the spots on the side of the lizard in question at my first glance at the image - I had to copy and paste and enlarge the image to see them clearly on my laptop screen. A better view of it's side would have made easier to see - maybe I need a new set of reading/computer use glasses . as you get older you loose your razer sharp vision. :(

Yep - it's an EWS.

Nice to see a wild one in a natural setting.

More often than not when bushwalking you'll hear them in the undergrown but wont see them.
Suburbian ones seem less shy. Probably used to seeing people around and just keep their distance of people.

I am not sure where the criticism comes from or why a person should feel they need to defend having mad an ID mistake. Looking at animals in real life in its given natural or regular surrounds and looking at a single aspect from an image frozen in time, with no points of reference, are NOT the same thing by a country mile. If you are already predisposed to seeing something in a picture which is in anyways similar, you mind is quite capable of altering you perception so that you see what you are expecting to see. It requires a good measure of practice and consciously being open-minded – like looking for distinguishing features and general characteristics before mentally going through the species checklist.

Said without all the waffle – easily done.

Blue

If you are already predisposed to seeing something in a picture which is in anyways similar, you mind is quite capable of altering you perception so that you see what you are expecting to see

Is that why everything is getting ID'd as a keelback, they see gecko, they make keelback...

I see you are still playing your game of belittling others. I trust you are aware of what they say about sarcasm – that it is the lowest form of wit. I wonder if you understand why?

The point I was making, that you have either failed to comprehend or have arrogantly chosen to ignore, is that negative comments directed at people rather than the content of their posts are not acceptable. Users do not have a right to make up reasons why someone else got an ID incorrect. Nor do they have a right to belittle others in any way for getting it incorrect. It is an ID thread. Passing judgment on other users has no place in it, or any other thread. I have seen some horrendous errors made in respect of identifications but if the poster happens to have lots of “mates” or is relatively unknown, it just gets a simple correction and is glossed over. And that is how it should be!

If you have an issue with what I have stated, then I am more than happy to discuss it civily and rationally, with logic and intellect. I would very much appreciate hearing your point of view given your apparent desire to “throw stones” at my earlier statement. I trust I am not being too presumptuous in assuming there is a point of view, and that your motivation was not merely a thoughtless act of random rudeness designed to amuse an audience that holds similar generic values.

Blue

Not at all trying to belittle anyone, whenever I ID I simply give the ID regardless of what has been said before, I was simply wondering how so many keelbacks seemed to end up.

Actually I would sort of appreciate if APS both had an ID section and some specific rules to go with this forum, rules like:
-People in ID threads are not to make misleading comments, calling an animal something you know it is not, or trying to ID something even though you have very little idea of what it is leading to misleading information will result in such and such.

One day someone is going to put up a Tai, the first reply is going to be "Keelback they are harmless" and it has the potential to go down hill rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back