Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Longqi. Do you ever stop to think what you may be doing in the long term. People less experienced than yourselves, see what you do and think that is par for the course on ID threads. So the next ID thread they start throwing in the keelback and whatever comments. The day will come when someone does the "That's definitely a Keelback" routine. Except it will actually be a Rough-scaled Snake and the clueless OP will look up Keelback on the net and say Yep! That's it. No worries, it's harmless darling. Meantime, back on the thread the stupidity is being corrected. Too late. The OP has his ID which is all he wanted.

You don't believe you'll get 'that's a Keelback" first up from an inexperienced member? It happens and I can even show you a current example, if anyone wants proof. PM because it is not the fault of the individual concerned. That person was simply following the example set many considerably more experienced others.

Why is not sufficient to simply disagree when someone make a statement you consider false. That's wrong and these are the reasons. No, not good enough. You have belittle, goad, make the butt of jokes, push into a corner. Little wonder people come back at you swing whatever arguments they can muster. They are under attack – it's a natural defence. Truth, commonsense and reason are the losers here. not to mention character assassination. And for anyone who genuinely believe you can ram what you consider to be the truth, down someone's throat after you have publically humiliated them – I think everyone knows that it does not work. I also think everyone knows that this is not the reason it is done.

The OP is from Widgee - it states that on his profile data. He explained that the incident occurred at home while he was visiting Brisbane. The swords were out and people were using then to point out how P. australis isn't found in Brisbane. Not one person apologised for making that mistake. I don't have access but I am fairly certain you will find a few scattered museum records of P. australis at least as far east as Widgee and through up to the recognised distribution - not sure if they are dodgy locale or confirmed. I would ask the OP how he knows that they are found in Widgee as it is apparent that he does not have the ID skills to identify one. I am not sure you'll get an honest answer after the battering he has been given. To the other chap who saw one on a field trip I would say that they are extremely unlikely to be encountered, there are sizeable Eastern Browns in the region which can look remarkably similar and if moving, there is a tendency to over estimate size. I am not saying he he did not see a "Mulga", I am saying it is way more likely what he did see what a large Eastern Brown.

It does not help when experienced snake people make statements like "Keelbacks and Rough Scaled Snakes" look nothing alike. Or "Mulgas and Eastern Browns" look nothing like each other. Such statements are simply not accurate. The animals are very similar in appearance. Less experienced persons interested in snakes need to know that. The statement that experienced snake people should be making is that "With experience, it is easy to distinguish one from the other".

To those who find they cannot accept something the OP says, there should only be 2 options. Explain it in factual terms leaving reference to people and their characteristics out of it. Secondly, say nothing and leave the thread. At the end of the day there is nothing but yourself compelling you to contribute to any thread.

Blue

I agree with Longqi. Do you ever stop to think what you may be doing in the long term. People less experienced than yourselves, see what you do and think that is par for the course on ID threads. So the next ID thread they start throwing in the keelback and whatever comments. The day will come when someone does the "That's definitely a Keelback" routine. Except it will actually be a Rough-scaled Snake and the clueless OP will look up Keelback on the net and say Yep! That's it. No worries, it's harmless darling. Meantime, back on the thread the stupidity is being corrected. Too late. The OP has his ID which is all he wanted.

You don't believe you'll get 'that's a Keelback" first up from an inexperienced member? It happens and I can even show you a current example, if anyone wants proof. PM because it is not the fault of the individual concerned. That person was simply following the example set many considerably more experienced others.

Why is not sufficient to simply disagree when someone make a statement you consider false. That's wrong and these are the reasons. No, not good enough. You have belittle, goad, make the butt of jokes, push into a corner. Little wonder people come back at you swing whatever arguments they can muster. They are under attack – it's a natural defence. Truth, commonsense and reason are the losers here. not to mention character assassination. And for anyone who genuinely believe you can ram what you consider to be the truth, down someone's throat after you have publically humiliated them – I think everyone knows that it does not work. I also think everyone knows that this is not the reason it is done.

The OP is from Widgee - it states that on his profile data. He explained that the incident occurred at home while he was visiting Brisbane. The swords were out and people were using then to point out how P. australis isn't found in Brisbane. Not one person apologised for making that mistake. I don't have access but I am fairly certain you will find a few scattered museum records of P. australis at least as far east as Widgee and through up to the recognised distribution - not sure if they are dodgy locale or confirmed. I would ask the OP how he knows that they are found in Widgee as it is apparent that he does not have the ID skills to identify one. I am not sure you'll get an honest answer after the battering he has been given. To the other chap who saw one on a field trip I would say that they are extremely unlikely to be encountered, there are sizeable Eastern Browns in the region which can look remarkably similar and if moving, there is a tendency to over estimate size. I am not saying he he did not see a "Mulga", I am saying it is way more likely what he did see what a large Eastern Brown.

It does not help when experienced snake people make statements like "Keelbacks and Rough Scaled Snakes" look nothing alike. Or "Mulgas and Eastern Browns" look nothing like each other. Such statements are simply not accurate. The animals are very similar in appearance. Less experienced persons interested in snakes need to know that. The statement that experienced snake people should be making is that "With experience, it is easy to distinguish one from the other".

To those who find they cannot accept something the OP says, there should only be 2 options. Explain it in factual terms leaving reference to people and their characteristics out of it. Secondly, say nothing and leave the thread. At the end of the day there is nothing but yourself compelling you to contribute to any thread.

Blue

I agree for the most part. Where we differ in opinion is the need to 'belittle' as you put it. Some people arent smart enough to see sense when its right there in front of them, they need to be beaten over the head with it. Sammy in this thread quite obviously has no idea what he/ she/ it is typing about and needs to sit down, shut up and read rather than acting the expert.

Can we please stop the "it is a keelback id"? Honestly, this is getting old, you are a tool and just because there is a good chance that a Keelback Id has been required frequently does not mean you should carry on like some kid in a lolly shop.
5 pages, no pic and ****e advice bar all but a few comments. Next................

i agree with snake79 if you dont know what your talking about 100% dont say anything ,but a kingbrown in brisbane never herd of them being that far south east.

I agree, the stupid "keelback" posts annoy the hell out of me. I worry about the potential
harm that can be caused. I also agree with Killimike that only experienced members should be allowed
to answer ID questions posted by people who obviously have no experience and have gone to the trouble of
finding this site for info.
The only drawback to that is if someone is looking for an id and there are no "professionals" on the site at the
time, it will look like nobody gives a dam?

Blue

Is this in my favour?

Sammy = troll
No, just no. This is a typical 15 year old comment, not everyone who does not have the same opinion as you is a troll.

I always subscribe to ID threads now. You just know people will start slinging poo in very short time.
Whilst I agree entirely with your stance in these threads Blue (and others), maybe there should also be rules that people shouldn't post ID threads with blurry photos or no photos at all. I know of very few IDs that turn into these highly entertaining but ultimately useless arguments when the OP has a nice clear photo of their subject.

Well, come to think of it, yes.

I'm losing horribly though.

Yes you are losing : (
But your recognition skills are improving : )

You haven't been on this site long, you should take a bit of time to read what people post and recognise who
has lots of knowledge and who doesn't.
Good Luck.

Yes you are losing : (
But your recognition skills are improving : )

You haven't been on this site long, you should take a bit of time to read what people post and recognise who
has lots of knowledge and who doesn't.
Good Luck.
Thanks, you have been much more nice and considering than others.

i agree with snake79 if you dont know what your talking about 100% dont say anything ,but a kingbrown in brisbane never herd of them being that far south east.

Neither the OP nor Sammy said they saw a King Brown in Brisbane. Another poster erroneously came out with that and it was used to batter both around the ears because of their (presumed) ignorant stupidity. Personally, I do not believe beating someone over the head with their mistakes (or in this case, their supposed mistake) is necessary or effective. If a person is argumentative about being corrected, just beg to differ. And the line of people that normally follow with sarcastic comments and would be humour, or a bit more flogging, would do better to add there support to the correct facts and keep the personal comments out of it.

I spent 30 years in high school classrooms. I still remember one of the things our Principal told the whole staff the day before classes began... You will not call any student an idiot. They may act like an idiot. They may even be an idiot. But you will not call them an idiot. With experience I came to appreciate that there was a immense amount of practical wisdom in dealing with people behind that edict.

Sammy555j
The point I was making is that it should NOT have been about YOU. It should have been about known facts full stop.

In terms of what did happen, is that you dug yourself into a bit of a hole and that did not help your cause. If you were not being attacked from various sides at once, that may not have happened.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither the OP nor Sammy said they saw a King Brown in Brisbane. Another poster erroneously came out with that and it was used to batter both around the ears because of their (presumed) ignorant stupidity. Personally, I do not believe beating someone over the head with their mistakes (or in this case, their supposed mistake) is necessary or effective. If a person is argumentative about being corrected, just beg to differ. And the line of people that normally follow with sarcastic comments and would be humour, or a bit more flogging, would do better to add there support to the correct facts and keep the personal comments out of it.

Seeing as though i am one of the one's who generally add's humor for the reason of removing the barrage of insults and repitition of continual no it all, oops we don't really know nothing, i should probably base something on some facts.

a) OP described a snake, which he though could have been, an EB, CTS, Tiapan, which i am sorry, but a CTS is clearly different to the latter. Creamy sides could be a lot of snakes, size also could resemble another larger amount of species.
b) The thread did become about sammy, how? "Dont be alarmed but it may be a King brown or Eastern Brown". Thats how. Whether people say "OMG it is a Keelback, or what Sammy wrote, unfortunatley it is the same thing in my books Blue, telling someone a snake is harmless and telling someone it can kill you can still lead to misleading information.
c) Unfortunatley it is common for threads to flow this way, there are alot of good people out there to identify snakes, but in this case i would be pretty much saying without anything further it would be impossible.

Sometimes coming to a thread and posting - it looked like this - it moved like this - it smelt like this will always get mixed reactions... Why? because we are all from different regions, we all see different variations in snakes , reptiles in general actually. We all experience in our unique ways. Unfortunatley with out correct measure it can be hard for people who have not been around snakes alot to guestimate their length, hey it happens. I have been herping in Widgee alot, as i am not far from there, going by what has come up on geo maps etc i have NEVER seen a Mulga, alot of big EB's yes. But hey i would love to be wrong.

Any ways i am done now...

p.s i do not put rubber snakes in places so i can then re catch and charge....... * shifty look *

'Re-catch' is a bit of a stretch Poggle, 're-claim' would be more appropriate. I doubt you have frisky rubber snakes.
Er... not that you have any at all... which by default makes them non-frisky...
That is a hilarious image though ;)

It boils down to Sammy stating with almost certainty that it was likely to be one of two species... when those who know far more about these things (Snakepimp especially in this instance) would never make such assumptions on the scant evidence presented by the OP. The other suggestion that is incorrect is that they are aggressive - they are at best defensive rather tha aggressive, anyone who has seen these species in the bush will know that they will much more readily remove themselves from human contact than hang around and risk injury or death from an encounter with humans.

Jamie

'Re-catch' is a bit of a stretch Poggle, 're-claim' would be more appropriate. I doubt you have frisky rubber snakes.
Er... not that you have any at all... which by default makes them non-frisky...
That is a hilarious image though ;)

I atually train my rubber snakes from hatchies.... i put them in their egg in a bath of water and they hatch. I then teach them to follow me whilst on a lead, also to stay, play dead, not bite, but generally look fierce enough.

Man, this is awesome! Why did I spend so much time away from the herp forums?

Original post: "What was it? It was long, thin, scary, and pretty sure it was a snake"

...six pages on, barely a word of sense and about fourteen types of conflict - it even ended up offending a feminist! :lol: This is great! :lol:

For what it's worth, my 2c: You can barely tell it was a snake from the description, and you certainly couldn't have any hope of identifying it to species.

And there are no King Browns/Mulgas in Brisbane (although the guys at the local pub say they are pretty common in Melbourne and keep the numbers of Taipans down a bit).

Oh, and yes, women do exaggerate the size of things which scare them. Men do too, but not as much (on average). It's a well known and fairly well understood psychological phenomenon.

*gets flamed by feminists and probably everyone else*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back