Unlicensed keeper!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyber_crimes

About 3 weeks ago I sold a pair of coastal yearlings to a guy off the internet.He told me he had applied for hes RK licence a week before so I stupidly trusted him to take the snakes and told him to stay in contact with me (which he didnt).Today I rang him and asked what the go is? He said he is still waiting for it.I do have hes full name and address etc and I informed him I had put them into my record keeping book and will be sending it in to NPWS on the 1st of april so I need hes Rk number so he dont get fined etc.I also told him to call NPWS and ask for hes number over the phone while he waits for it to be sent out.

Anyway I would like to know if I send my record book in with hes info but no RK number perhaps stating I lost hes number what do you all think will happen? I may be paranoid here and he may send the number in the next few days (hopefully) but id rather cover my own A** incase I have been scammed.

If he is a good person he will retrieve the licence and not lie!
Do you think he is a person that you can trust?

If I were you I would speak to the authorities in your state and come clean with them on all details as if he doesn't do the right thing then you can be penalised too I THINK. If you come clean I would think they are more likely to be lenient with any penalty they impose. I MUST STRESS THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION so perhaps you should get the opinions of people more experienced than me in your State. Good luck.

Dammmnn thats what I thought. Well if I dont get anything by the 1st I will ring NPWS and explain then send in my record books with a letter.

What does everyone else think?

My suggestion to you is to call NPWS and tell the truth, explain what happened and how you made a mistake and possibly mis-judged this person's honesty. IMO honesty in this case is the best policy :wink:

Unfortunatelty I think MrAfrica could be right.
Not 100% sure either but I think that the onus is on the seller to make sure the buyer is licenced(with the correct class also) before selling a reptile to them.
I think you should push the buyer to sort his details ASAP,if he cant and you are close by perhaps a visit to retrieve the reptiles.

Maybe an anonymous phone call to NPWS might be in order first though to see what if any penalty applies.Good luck.

cheers

when i got my first snake my licence had not come through as i was told it would take 1 week and i had arranged to pick up my snake before it showed up but the guy i got it off was understanding and still sold it to me but i called him as soon as i got my licence which was 3 weeks later

i say give him a few more days then call NPWS and explain the situation hopefully it all works out for you

Yous may have read in the forum under another thread that I also didnt know about the 6 month rule before selling a reptile (and I sold 3 or 4)
So Im pretty concerned atm.Hopefully they will be leniant as I truely did not know this untill I read about it here in the forum.He said he will call me tomorrow and inform me whats happening after he calls NPWS.
So Ill wait till then and see how it pans out.

My licence has not arrived before I bought my first snake, but NPWS were very forthcoming and gave me the ok and the licence number over the phone. It arrived in the mail two days later.
So if the purchaser was really fair dinkum and applied, tell him to ring and get the details over the phone.

I think you did the wrong thing by giving him the Snakes before you had his RK number. I don't think it's a valid excuse that you thought he looked ok and trusted that he would get it. No offence intended here just my opinion.

Greg.

licence

hi john..
the first thing you need to do is protect yourself.
ring your local office now and explain how the sale took place. explain he has failed to provide the licence number. that way its on record then if you dont receive the number by the time your books go in at least the parks dep will know ahead of time and be able to see that you have been up front and open with them. same thing goes for the 6 month period

its better they here from you than be checking your paper work and find somthing that you have done. they always have a better opinion of bobbing yourself in rather than letting them find it.
cheers paul.

Hi

I would not sell a snake to someone who didn't have their licence yet. I agree, ring NPWS and explain it to them. Play dumb and tell them your sorry that you didn't know etc...
As with handing in the books on the 1st, do we get a letter from NPWS telling us? What is the go with it? I'm in nsw.

Glenn

I don't think we do get a letter..... Usually it comes up on forums like this or Australianherps though. If I hear of when it's due, I'll post a message for everyone in NSW. (Ahhhh, they joys of being online all day for work! :D I get to look up herp stuff all day!!! 8) )

They will send a reminder letter after a couple of months I think. There is going to be a Representative from the licencing section at the Macarthur Herp meeting this Friday night.He's going to answer all questions relating to the Book.

Cheers, Greg

Great news! They guy had called NPWS and got hes number of them as it has been processed and is on its way.So It is all clear there.(I did say I may be paranoid).So I will contact NPWS and explain about the 6 month rule that I did not know this law.

Good news CC.
One thing to bear in mind is that being a Government Dept they tend to adhere to the rules/law.
As far as "not knowing I had to do this or that" doesn't cut the mustard with regard to rules/regulations.
I hope that they consider you not being aware of the 6 month rule a minor breach for your sake and overlook it.

good luck

More great news!
Today I rang NPWS and they informed me I have breached condition 9 of the licensing act but as I was not aware of the rule I may write them a letter when I post my record keeping books explaining I have since read the licencesing rules and am now aware of this fact and it will not happen again and it will be fine.

PS they also made a note of me calling prior to sending in letter etc :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back