Unlicensed reptiles and vets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirra

Reaction score
I'm already expecting this to be a dumb question but im being hopeful. I would also just like to preface with I am licenced but I picked up a carpet python from an unlicensed family member because he wasn't caring for it and as far as I can tell I can't put it on my licence.

I've got a carpet python that's showing signs of a pretty gnarly respiratory infection. He had been very huffy and a loud breather since I got him but because there were no other symptoms I just put it down to him being him. Tonight I noticed his nose is very mucousy and I would ideally like to take him to a vet. The big question is can I even do that without being in a whole lotta trouble? Are vets required to inform authorities of unlicensed animals? What can I do?
[doublepost=1521022809,1521022591][/doublepost]I've stumbled across this as well. How effective would it be really? http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...nt-respiratory-infections.html#/topics/758431

Vets don't ask, and probably don't care, if you are licenced. They are more concerned about the welfare of the reptile. Just make sure you go to a vet experienced in reptiles.
Re the python, the best thing you can do is call your state's permit authority and explain the situation; they should be able to help you.

Vets don't ask, and probably don't care, if you are licenced. They are more concerned about the welfare of the reptile. Just make sure you go to a vet experienced in reptiles.
Re the python, the best thing you can do is call your state's permit authority and explain the situation; they should be able to help you.
Okay fingers crossed on that one. I've sent a few emails out to my local vets and I'm gonna be making some calls tomorrow. I was just worried that have a duty of care or something to report it

They honestly don’t care.

I think you’d be surprised how many people have an off license animal- either intentionally or unintentionally. You’re not the first to rescue an off license animal from someone, and you won’t be the last.
And there’s also that whole group of people who seem to forget they have to renew their license periodically (or just don’t bother) and end up with a bunch of off license animals.

If the vet asks, just explain the situation- they’re reasonable people and aren’t going to want you punished for trying to help an animal

A vet is highly unlikely to even ask. Their concern and obligation is with the health of the animal, not its legal status. You certainly don't need to rock up and announce that the snake is not on licence. You may care to mention that you are a licensed keeper and leave it at that - the vet's not going to look up your details and check the status of the snake. Attention at your earliest possibility is important.

Jamie

Awesome groovy. Thanks guys you're putting my mind at ease. I've gotten in contact with some vets and they've pointed me in the right direction so the guy is getting looked at. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back