Unlicensed Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
A certain someone (person Y - NOT ME!!!!) i know has aquired a pair of jackies off someone (person X) that caught them from the wild.

He traded them to someone (person Z) for a pair or gecko's.

In his license person Y wrote that he purchased them off Mr X, but person X didn't write anything in his license.

What do you suppose will happen when the record books will be collected?
Fines, removal of reptiles/license?

Interesting.... Something will have to happen because the licencee has to have a true and accurate record in their licence

do you think i should contact NPWS?
i don't really want to because i good friends with his brother.
Do you think NPWS will pick it up?

I think person y will have to prove that he got them of person x, and person x will have to prove he didn't give them to person y.

Either way, i think someone's (if not both) in for a lot of questions from the NPWS.....

Oh what a tangled web we weave..............

You've got me. I would suspect that if it's found that person Y knew that these were not legit, then he would be in trouble. Chances are person X will get in trouble no matter what. Person Z might even lose said reptiles.

Please note that this is all speculation on my part, as I wouldn't know. But I kinda' doubt that gov is going to be particularly sympathetic to XY or Z. :?

Person Z may not have known, but the NPWS will still probably remove them from him.... They were wild caught, and as such, they will remove them and re-release no doubt.

I know what you mean about not wanting to dob people in, but what's more important..... a friends brother, or our native herps?

As for turning in these guys, that'd have to be you're call. Me, I'd probably let the gov figure it out, but if it bothers you, do what you gotta' do I guess.

Without starting a debate, if I had been raised under such laws, I'd still be locked up. I swiped more than one critter outta' the backyard, ditch, woods, etc. growing up, and put them in cages. Mind you, this was somewhat before the enviromentalist nazis took over the general mindset, but hey. I do have a lot more respect for nature nowdays, but I think a lot of that respect was learned from the nature and animals I kept in my room. :?

Your call mate.

i see where your coming from
If we let one person get away with it then it may snowball to everybody catching reptiles and just writing it on there license.

i was telling his brother about the diamond living in my backyard and i got a phone call from his bro to see if he could try and catch it.

The only reptile i've caught after i realise it was illegal was a lace monitor that wondered through our campsite and got a plastic bag caught around his leg.

Oh yeah. Please note that it's not illegal to catch stuff here in the US unless it's endangered or protected for some reason. Varies place to place, but generally ok, legally speaking of course.

I guess es each country does what it needs to do for itself in most circumstances.

I have noticed however that there are huge inconsistencies in the system.
For example, how come it is okay to catch and eat wildlife in the bush, but not catch and keep them?

How many times do we see some weird looking bloke in safari gear and long songs parading around talking of delicacies to eat in the bush!

I have to admit to knowing what I know about lizards from catching and keeping bearded dragons when I was a kid. I would not do it now for various reasons, two primarily being that a) It is against the law and b) to ME, wild is wild and captive is captive and I am happy to keep it that way.

I know of a chicky in my town who is about to have two blue tongues without a licence, and I am going to dob her in for sure. This is because she is flat out caring for her children let alone an animal!

Usually what someone else does is their business as far as I am concerned, unless they flaunt it stupidly to me (And therefore put me in the position of knowing, therefore jeapordising my career if I keep quiet) or endanger the lives.

Good old Karma has a way of fixing those who do wrong.....eventually.

Posted: 25 Feb 2003 11:22 am????Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i see where your coming from
If we let one person get away with it then it may snowball to everybody catching reptiles and just writing it on there license.

Saikrett - Let it be, they'll get busted. You say if 'we' let one person get away with it, but the number of people who try and get caught, or do it anyway is amazing. Parks'll catch on to your friends, they clearly haven't thought through it very well. They probably think they;re the first people to ever try it

I gotta agree with jm. NPWS should catch them, after all that is the whole point of the RK system. Just curious though, did Y keep them for the required 6 months (are we talking NSW?)

But as usual do you think that NPWS really looks at the books? I am a little bit sceptical about NPWS actually picking this up and often they need a little bit of help (try maybe an anonymous suggestion?). In fact you should have a little word to Z that his/her licence is in serious permanent danger for possession and that will flow back through Y and X eventually (X seems to be the one who needs to be narced). The subtle suggestion about licence loss and technically a $3300 fine may help this.

Cheers Hawkeye

Just threw my expereinces ,
I known of people that have kept there books upto date . When it came to sending in the book it wasnt correct / complete due to HUMAN ERROR !
NPWS picked it up the mistake which warrented a inspection of premise & reptiles to make sure there books balanced .

As far as I understand they didnt get fined as they had all the other documentation to show where & when aquired the reptiles !

On that note who has had a inspection by NPWS ?
For wat ever reason ! I recall somelast year warning us to make sure books where upto date as random inspections where being done for wat ever reason !

in qld it is legal to catch certain reptiles and keep them with out a licence but you cant sell them and you can only keep 2 of each type

dont know about nsw laws though

Can I just add that I have previously told NPWS about someone who took some reptiles from the wild under the guise of being a member of a wildlife group (NOT wires) and then was advertising them for sale.

They were very professional and respected that I did not want to be identified. I am unsure of how the situation was handled in the end, but I feel I did the right thing to report the person and then let NPWS do something about it.

Imagine if he/she did catch the diamond in your backyard... How stressed it would be in captivity when the only life it has known is in the wild. I only know in my experiences catching/relocating wild reptiles through Wires that they do get very stressed and defensive in the short time they are held in captivity and in the long term this could lead to the deterioration of the animal.

Saikrett, I would tell NPWS. It is not just for the reason that this person is doing the wrong thing, but for the well-being of the animals that he/she is catching. I could go on about maintaining the diversity of the gene pool as well but I will stop now. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back