Unusual Idea For A Fish Tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No substrate is no problem for almost all fish species excluding those who burrow naturally. My opinion though having worked in the industry for 7 years is that it is too much effort for minimal viewing pleasures. Viewing from below does not allow for much appreciation of the fishes colour or behaviour. So while it has some initial wow factor I think it will get old very quickly, especially when you will need to keep the glass spick and span. I would suggest a more typical fish tank (maybe something in the wall).

Or if you want to go ahead with it and have the money to back it up go and talk to Majestic Aquariums. The prices are astronomical but they have the resources and experience to make a project like this work, even if you only use them to learn how to do it then go elsewhere?
I guess the amount of time spent on the stairs looking up would be very minimal.

A mate of mine had a large fish tank above the stairs, it was above floor level on the top floor, you could see it as you walked down the stairs, (but not from underneath) and could see it from the lounge room at the top of the stairs. It looked great.

I agree, you'd get limited pleasure having it viewed from below. For me, the best thing about my fish tank was sitting and watching the fish do their thing.

What you are suggesting is 100% possible, 500kg is no big deal from a structural perspective. But I think you'd get limited value from an expensive exercise.

talk to these guys
if they can build one in a shopping center they could help with a staircase
908506_375567595894526_1856470582_n.jpg

You don't need to have substrate. Just may need to get the next size up filter or put extra media in is all.

I tend to agree with some of the others in that the viewing will not be as good as yyou may wish but it would definitely be a talking point.

My Father inlaw built his own home and put a tropical tank 8ft x 2ft and 4 ft high in the kitchen/ dining room wall , the suporting wall was besser block . It was 12mm glass surrounded by a wooden frame with metal lashing , this was hidden by the surronds . It was acsessed from the kitchen fitration was hidden in a cupboard with direct drainage for ease of cleaning . A bendable perspex divider could be inserted and 1/2 of the tank emptied and cleaned fresh water added and conditioned and the divider removed . I have no pics , this tank is now for my carnivorous plants and the hole in his wall is a display unit for plants .

My Father inlaw built his own home and put a tropical tank 8ft x 2ft and 4 ft high in the kitchen/ dining room wall , the suporting wall was besser block . It was 12mm glass surrounded by a wooden frame with metal lashing , this was hidden by the surronds . It was acsessed from the kitchen fitration was hidden in a cupboard with direct drainage for ease of cleaning . A bendable perspex divider could be inserted and 1/2 of the tank emptied and cleaned fresh water added and conditioned and the divider removed . I have no pics , this tank is now for my carnivorous plants and the hole in his wall is a display unit for plants .

A fish tank that is 4 ft high would need much thicker glass then 12mm even with a metal frame. Is this correct? If it is it is one of the tallest private aquariums I know of in Australia. Also interested in the concept of the divider - did it divide the tank in half and then hold a 4x2x4 section of tank with water in it?

There are numerous private aquariums in homes in australia that exceed over 1200mm high. I know of a couple that exceed 1800mm high.

The glass in these tanks though is thicker than 12mm. 19-25mm in most cases. Very expensive aquariums but there are a few out there.

A fish tank that is 4 ft high would need much thicker glass then 12mm even with a metal frame. Is this correct? If it is it is one of the tallest private aquariums I know of in Australia. Also interested in the concept of the divider - did it divide the tank in half and then hold a 4x2x4 section of tank with water in it?

Was , is gone now (we took it out about 15 yrs ago ) .It was magnificent to say the least , As said he built the house also and his own inground pool although this was not as successful as the house and was converted to a goldfish pond within a year :( trout would of been more useful .
.Yes the divider worked reasonably well with a groove made by two strips of glass glued to each side of the tank the divider slipped down and a wooden reinforcement put in place and 1/2 the tank cleaned --refilled water conditioned and the divider taken out . he is not they type to tell everyone about his exploits :)

I agree, you'd get limited pleasure having it viewed from below. For me, the best thing about my fish tank was sitting and watching the fish do their thing.

What you are suggesting is 100% possible, 500kg is no big deal from a structural perspective. But I think you'd get limited value from an expensive exercise.

My reason for wanting it is so that you can see into/under the angled section as you're walking down the stairs. Then being able to walk undermeath it just seemed kinda cool to me. Due to a cathedral ceiling in the adjacent room, you'll also be able to see into it from the other (vertical) side.

Definitely sounds kinda cool :D

While it would have some challenges, it would achievable for sure.

if you think about the weight and structural requirements 500kg is not a lot really. If it is supported at four corners, that's 125kg per corner, not hard to deal with at all.
I used to have a 350L fish tank on a stand, it just sat on the floor boards in the lounge room, with no issue at all

can you take a pic of where it would go? draw a sketch of what you are thinking?

edit: ooops, just re read the OP and see that you cant take a pic :lol:

I don't think your sketch was there when I first read it either?

I would look at trying to incorporate a sump type filter system into the tank if you can conceal it.

from your little sketch, the weak points in the tank design are the two bottom corners, all the weight of the water is pushing down and outward with the most force at the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
You don't need to have substrate. Just may need to get the next size up filter or put extra media in is all.

I tend to agree with some of the others in that the viewing will not be as good as yyou may wish but it would definitely be a talking point.

You can substrate & then have viewing "portal holes" with several large diameter pvc pipes laid upright.
And I wouldn't use an undergravel filter set-up for this size tank but simply rely on exterior canister or wet/dry filtration.

The idea sounds fantastic! The only advice I can offer is see a structural engineer and work out logistics with weights/supports/etc.

The idea sounds fantastic! The only advice I can offer is see a structural engineer and work out logistics with weights/supports/etc.

What about with regards to filtration? Am I correct in assuming that a canister filter only needs to be below the waterline, not below the tank? What are the additional benefits of a sump filter?

Google sump filter.there's heaps of info available.
You can have a larger filter system, more filter medium etc. It's far more effective and simpler in some ways. It can be self contained as part of the tank.

Yes, a canister filter needs to be below water level so the pump is primed, ie not pumping air. They are good at pushing water up hill, within reason, but no good at sucking it up out of a tank.

.......brilliant.... find a tradie that deals with it get a professional, this would be a crazy DIY unless you know your stuff....... Do it!! Seriously brilliant! Your building a new house, only time you'd be able to do it. Depending on the fish type will kinda dictate the design of the filter in a sense. If its freshwater and you get away with a canister filter they use a pump so should not matter where in relation to water level you put it.
Plus you wont need a substrate for a lot of these kinds of fish. However cleaning will be a ***** !! If you have no substrate...... And you have a flat bottom.....And no substrate so you can see it looking up......The **Poos!** will settle on the bottom very quickly it will become a daily thing.
I think this is why the bedroom design above, and underwater world etc use a curve for where people walk through. With the flat parts with substrate ETC.....

I dun know just a thought But seriously.... Do it :)

This would be installed within the structure of the house and considering that most stair cases exist alongside a load bearing wall, that the structure within the wall will need sufficient posts directly adjacent to the fish tank (this should ensure the tank doesn't take any actual load, but rather the post). You will need to consult with your architect however.

The archway would effectively become the feature of the base of the stairs. This was a rough up, but I could go into more detail later. I can provide concept drawings for you as well that will help your architect/engineer to better grasp the project's requirements.

mudgudgeon, burkey ... thanks for your valued input.

Virides ... if that's your idea of a rough-up, then I may have chosen the wrong building designer for my house! That's a little grandiose for what I have in mind, but I appreciate your efforts. The idea is to be under the tank for as long as possible ... even if that's technically an angled - rather than horizontal - bottom.

What about with regards to filtration? Am I correct in assuming that a canister filter only needs to be below the waterline, not below the tank? What are the additional benefits of a sump filter?
If you use a pressurized pond filter you can put it wherever you like!

Virides ... if that's your idea of a rough-up, then I may have chosen the wrong building designer for my house! That's a little grandiose for what I have in mind, but I appreciate your efforts. The idea is to be under the tank for as long as possible ... even if that's technically an angled - rather than horizontal - bottom.

That's ok :) Food for thought anyways. I changed your design because I couldn't figure a practical way to service the length of the tank in the way that you wanted it. Any design is possible but what really restricts it is the practicality of servicing.

I changed your design because I couldn't figure a practical way to service the length of the tank in the way that you wanted it.

Virides, this might help it make a little more sense ...
Plans.JPG

There will be access from both sides of the tank - from the bedroom cupboard doors on one side and from a service cupboard, located at the end of a bathroom, on the other side. The bathroom will provide both a water source and a convenient drain.

The bottom of the fish tank will be at approximately floor level (of the second floor).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back