Unusual Thick-Tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus Milii)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigan2004

Reaction score
Me and my old man went camping up in the Mallee not long ago, specifically southern Murray-Sunset, and we stumbled across what seemed to be a thick-tailed gecko. However, the gecko was transparent, like we could see it's organs, and it didn't have any colour on it what-so-ever. Is this some sort of pigmentation disorder or what?

Unusual Thick-Tailed Gecko.png

It doesn't look like a thicktail, but it's hard to say what it is from the camera angle. Whatever it is, it is probably an albino.

Sorry about the angle, it is a bit crap. But the first thing I made sure is that it wasn't albino, no red eyes. And, to my knowledge, albino geckos don't become see-through.

Looks to me like a beaded or beaked gecko. Not an expert though

How much of the tail is out of the shot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was a beaded or beaked gecko purely by it's size. These photos aren't great but you can see the eyes in one and the tail in the other if it helps. And it was white, pure white, no different coloured patterns like a beaded or beaked. The different colours shown on the photos were it's organs, not patterns.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 8.43.02 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 8.42.55 pm.png

Whatever it is, its not a thicktail.

It was just the shape of the head that made me think so. The tail looks similar to one as well, just a very starved lizard.

Whether it's an albino, or some other mutated gene, it looks like a marbled gecko, from the head shape and tail.

Looking at the gecko it's not a thick tailed gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii). It appears to either be a Diplodactylus or Lucasium sp. Providing an actual location will assist greatly in trying to identify it correctly.

Cheers, Cameron

Could it be a Tesselated Gecko with no pattern maybe? Looks like my Tala, same eyes... (I am FAR from an expert though, so please delete is I am way off track!!!)
IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2134.JPG

Thanks for the help, guys. My precise spot was north-west of the pink lakes in Murray-Sunset NP.
I think that the guess of the tessellated gecko (Diplodactylus tessellatus ) is a good one. I don't think it's a member of Lucasium, just because of the shape of the head, it was very robust, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back