UPS system

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyrant pets

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Was just thinking about the incubation process and wondered if anyone uses a UPS backup system incase of poweroutage?

If so what system do you use and how long does it last?

My area has power outages every now and then and would hate for that to ruin anything.

I don't imagine a UPS would be of any use because they only last for a few minutes to give you time to save your files. I have a battery backup on my solar system that keeps my fridge going in a blackout and that only lasted 3 hours

I cant see a power outage being a big issue unless its going to be a whole day

Your incubator *should* retain heat long enough, High temps are more dangerous than low temps, a few hours at 34c+ (if average is 32) will damage your snake eggs long term, where you realistically could go as low as 28~ for a full cycle of incubation although development will be longer

I cant see a power outage being a big issue unless its going to be a whole day

Your incubator *should* retain heat long enough, High temps are more dangerous than low temps, a few hours at 34c+ (if average is 32) will damage your snake eggs long term, where you realistically could go as low as 28~ for a full cycle of incubation although development will be longer
Depends what eggs are being incubated, the stage of development they're at, your geographical location and what the weather is doing on any given day.. with turtles for example... excessive heat is bad... if my incubators reach 32° the eggs are finished, I have to be very on the ball with planning ahead for hot days and making sure the air con and fans are on before I head to work so the incubators don't overheat, the cold, below 22° is also a deal breaker. I had 3 separate blackouts last year, the longest which lasted over 8 hours due to a massive electrical storm and downed powerlines which saw my incubators plummet from 28° to 16° on a freakishly cold November day. One clutch of eggs was totally wiped out except for one lone egg that hatched. The other clutches took losses as well 3-4 eggs each that would have hatched had that blackout not occurred.

For me personally, my incubators are made out of Willow esky's... if there's going to be a blackout, it works in my favour if it's going to be on a 40° day... in the event I no longer have air con or fans working all I have to do is put ice bricks from the freezer in my incubators and I can keep them cool for hours... have done this many times and saved whole clutches from cooking, on a cold day if there's a blackout and I'm not home or don't have access to power to keep them warm, I suffer losses like last year. Was painful just sitting there watching the incubator temp drop and not be able to do anything about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back