Upside down Blue Tongue?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mellor

Reaction score
Simply my Blue tongue seems to just chill on its back. From people I’ve spoken to this seems unusual??

It did it the day I bought it and still does it now.
aec1c66adacbc9aeb630bd0c7b222240.jpg

80843596fdf216423fe9779cc7ab3038.jpg

Enclosure.
6084388d2b2f787f171dfadc173f21de.jpg

It shares a heat mat with my Python, constantly around 26-28 degrees.

Diet.
Eats and drinks fine.
Eats a mix of VetaFarm lizard food and VetaFarm ferret origins. 50/50 mix.

If anyone could shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there's no basking lamps (heat coming from above) it may just be trying to warm itself. You may need to provide it with some basking options... Belly heat (heat mat or cord) and a lamp/spotlight from above.

If there's no basking lamps (heat coming from above) it may just be trying to warm itself. You may need to provide it with some basking options... Belly heat (heat mat or cord) and a lamp/spotlight from above.

Hey it has a Matt under one side that is shares with the snake, I’ve just moved it into this tub where it can get light from above so I’ll see how it goes with that.

Thanks for your reply.

Hey it has a Matt under one side that is shares with the snake, I’ve just moved it into this tub where it can get light from above so I’ll see how it goes with that.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, sometimes a reptile prefers heat from above rather than just below. Turtles for one would never bask solely on a heat mat... They've evolved to receive heat from above (the carapace acts like a solar panel).

I've caught my spotted python 2-3 times coiled up perfectly directly over its heat cord BUT upside down. I've never ever kept captive blue tongues before so I'm just "guessing" but I assume a diurnal skink would like to lay about in the sun and feel the rays on its back at some point. :p

a heat mat is not going to do,you need a heat lamp as lizards are used to getting warmth from the sun which is overhead not underneath.If the heat lamp doesn't stop this it might be that your lizard a neurological problem.
Plus your diet needs an upgrade,pellets are not enough ! Add some fruit and veg,try mushrooms, a little bit of banana,a little wet dog food,egg,blue tongues are scavengers so they will eat almost anything.Just DON'T feed it avocado as it is toxic to lizards and birds.Snails if your garden is snail pellet free?
You can even offer pinky or fuzzy mice occasionally depending on size of lizard

It's worth a trip to the vets, but blue tongues do have a variety of personalities and this may just be a trait from this.

I'll also back up people who state about heat lamps and a more varied diet . My own loved supercoat dog food (coles 20 bucks) but never took to wet food. Crikets but never took to roaches. Experiment with it and see how you go .

I would also recommend getting a book on blue tongue lizard care as it can only aid you in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back