[urgent] Help Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do not have the ability to adequately house and care for both animals you need to sell one.

If you do not have the ability to adequately house and care for both animals you need to sell one.
I'm not going to sell it just because they're in the same tank, they're good with each other and have no problems being in the same tank. People have said they'll be fine and I'm not going to go and sell one.

Being housed together will create conflict over space, food, basking spot and hides. Their close proximity will cause stress and stimulate aggressive behavior. You are housing non social animals together that in the wild stay away from each other.

I think you have been given bad advice by these people. As Nick has pointed out, these two species normally steer clear of each other in the wild. If you wish to keep them together, you need the largest tank you can fit in, and it must have more than one basking spot and multiple hides.

Gumtree. Lots of tanks cheap as buggery on there. I got a 4 foot tank for twenty dollars and my pinkys tank for 30. Even if you start buying little bits and pieces as you can afford them, it's better than doing nothing and it ending in tears.

Also, a great temp setup is a big tub from Bunnings, heat cord under one side, setup like a click clack.

Just food for thought. :)

Being housed together will create conflict over space, food, basking spot and hides. Their close proximity will cause stress and stimulate aggressive behavior. You are housing non social animals together that in the wild stay away from each other.
They've been fine from the beginning. They haven't fought over anything yet. And I've had people tell me they'll be fine together.

I think you have been given bad advice by these people. As Nick has pointed out, these two species normally steer clear of each other in the wild. If you wish to keep them together, you need the largest tank you can fit in, and it must have more than one basking spot and multiple hides.
It does have all of that, it is a large tank and they bask in different places.

It's all good now I've got family who have owned loads of lizards before and they've given me the advice I need. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizards can be kept together more than snakes but usually, and more successfully, in outdoor setups with a larger area.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's fine, I've had people tell me they're fine together and that I don't need to move them. Yeah you're telling me to move them, but I have people saying they can stay together.

So I take it that means you don't actually need this forum or the help offered by people with many years of first hand experience. So why come here in the first place?
I can hardly wait for the thread entitled 'My lizards are attacking eachother' or 'Why is my lizard dead?'

So I take it that means you don't actually need this forum or the help offered by people with many years of first hand experience. So why come here in the first place?
I can hardly wait for the thread entitled 'My lizards are attacking eachother' or 'Why is my lizard dead?'
^this

Why come here asking for advice if you get all defensive when it's provided?

Good luck with your lizards and I really hope they do well....

My family have had first hand experience as well, and I asked them on the weekend when I saw them. I came here in the first place because I wanted to ask questions and see what others say to them. And don't worry, the threads entitled 'My lizards are attacking each other' or 'Why is my lizard dead?' won't be coming any time soon.

^this

Why come here asking for advice if you get all defensive when it's provided?

Good luck with your lizards and I really hope they do well....
I've been told on here I've received bad advice, I'm not prepared to properly own a lizard, that I have to sell one, doesn't help when people become negative. The reason I asked these questions was to hear other peoples opinion. People start getting salty and triggered when I get advice from family, you guys have years of first hand experience. My mums uncle used to own shinglebacks, my cousins boyfriend owned a bearded dragon for years, my nana used to own lizards as well. Thank you to those who gave advice and didn't get salty afterwards. And like I said before I've gotten the advice I need now so I don't need anymore help, but thank you anyway. And the lizards are actually quite well, they're healthy and being looked after properly. Didn't come here for people to hardly wait for threads made about why my lizard is dead or why they're attacking each other or why I even came here in the first place.

I've been told on here I've received bad advice, I'm not prepared to properly own a lizard, that I have to sell one, doesn't help when people become negative. The reason I asked these questions was to hear other peoples opinion. People start getting salty and triggered when I get advice from family, you guys have years of first hand experience. My mums uncle used to own shinglebacks, my cousins boyfriend owned a bearded dragon for years, my nana used to own lizards as well. Thank you to those who gave advice and didn't get salty afterwards. And like I said before I've gotten the advice I need now so I don't need anymore help, but thank you anyway. And the lizards are actually quite well, they're healthy and being looked after properly. Didn't come here for people to hardly wait for threads made about why my lizard is dead or why they're attacking each other or why I even came here in the first place.
I would assume the advice you are being given comes from past experience keeping two vastly different species together in one enclosure and it not ending well.

And to be honest, even if they don't kill each other, they most probably won't be happy residing together. Reptiles are mostly solitary creatures and even clutch mates, when kept together from juveniles to adulthood, they can still quite easily attack each other or even eat each other.

So, no, it may not have been your initial question, but these guys have seen most everything and are only trying to help. Even if they do sometimes come across as pushy and harsh.... it's still good advice.

I would assume the advice you are being given comes from past experience keeping two vastly different species together in one enclosure and it not ending well.

And to be honest, even if they don't kill each other, they most probably won't be happy residing together. Reptiles are mostly solitary creatures and even clutch mates, when kept together from juveniles to adulthood, they can still quite easily attack each other or even eat each other.

So, no, it may not have been your initial question, but these guys have seen most everything and are only trying to help. Even if they do sometimes come across as pushy and harsh.... it's still good advice.
Thanks for that, I will try and seperate them as I do have a feeling the beardie eats most of the food then the stumpy as he's faster but the stumpy still eats all the fruit and veg as he doesn't eat it. I will try and seperate them but my mum is a little tight on money right now and shes very busy as well. I will try and find a place to put the stumpy but don't think I can just yet as there isn't really much room and don't have the money yet, though next year my sister is moving into a larger room so I will have her room as well to put the stumpy in there, thanks. I heard shingle backs do grow up to 60 cm. And when i get a new tank id prefer one that won't have to be upgraded. Do you know what a good size would be for one? I read somewhere on here that sand isn't the best for them. Any type of sand or other that I should use for a bottom? Thanks

Sand is good for beardies, but not shinglebacks. A leaf litter type substrate is best for them. Depending on where you live in Australia, you could always get one of those raised garden beds and keep them outside. Just remember it needs to be bigger than your tank.
And to explain some responses you have received: you asked some questions on here, seeking advice/opinions, and then after getting the correct advice you have turned around and said that friends and family have told you otherwise. Please understand why people on here might be upset, after taking the time to answer you.

I don't keep Shingleback's myself, but all the care sheets I've seen suggest a single adult requires a tank at least 1metre by 50 by 50.

There are probably other people on here better equipped to answer the question however.... if they want to now.

Hopefully someone will jump in and give you some advice. :)

I heard shingle backs do grow up to 60 cm.

I think that size is quite the exaggeration. I have never heard of or seen such a size in Bobtails, and I have seen many a wild specimen. Most generally reach a snout to vent length of 28cm, some smaller, some larger. Although they can be quite stocky and heavy for their size.

120cm x 60cm would be the minimum for these lizards. Bigger, of course, is better. They're fairly active and they roam kilometres in the wild. Floor space is more important compared to height as they don't typically climb, but they do like to bury themselves beneath the substrate.

I don't keep Shingleback's myself, but all the care sheets I've seen suggest a single adult requires a tank at least 1metre by 50 by 50.

There are probably other people on here better equipped to answer the question however.... if they want to now.

Hopefully someone will jump in and give you some advice. :)
Thanks for that, not really good with measurements, what do you mean by 50 by 50?

I think that size is quite the exaggeration. I have never heard of or seen such a size in Bobtails, and I have seen many a wild specimen. Most generally reach a snout to vent length of 28cm, some smaller, some larger. Although they can be quite stocky and heavy for their size.

120cm x 60cm would be the minimum for these lizards. Bigger, of course, is better. They're fairly active and they roam kilometres in the wild. Floor space is more important compared to height as they don't typically climb, but they do like to bury themselves beneath the substrate.
Thank you, yeah I didn't think 60 cm was the actual length they can reach.

50cm :)

Does anyone else have any actual advice regarding enclosure sizes for Sabien?

It seems a little strange to me that a 15 year old kid is posting replies on days and at times when they should be in a class at school (not just today but on previous occasions) . Also seems a little strange that they are replying using a computer or laptop and not messenger or tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back