Urgent husbandry help for Gecko's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan_dragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some urgent advice...we won a silent auction that had a heap of racks etc 'and a couple of gecko's'.

Have just picked everything up - what we weren't told was the animals were in extremely poor condition as the guy had been away alot (there was a dead gecko in one of the tanks - others aren't looking to healthy).

Can anyone please tell me the correct husbandry for these guys so we can get them back to health as quickly as possible?

Nephrurus Sheai
Nephrurus Wheeleri
Ackie
Southern Spiney Tail

Thanks, all help is appreciated - most of these have dead mates etc and would hate to see these guys go the same way.

Yes the are quarantined away from other animals etc etc just need heating/lighting/food etc info.

Just one pm so far....come on guys, help us save these guys

Last edited:
Are you able to post photos of the animals in question? When it comes to auctions and ballots, you can never be too sure about the validity of the identification of the species'.

If people can see what state the animals are in, we may be able to give more direct advice...

If animals under the care of someone who has been away a lot have died, it is almost certainly to be from dehydration. So absolutely the first thing you need to do is get the animals rehydrated. As the body fluids reduce in volume, the kidneys remove electrolytes in order to maintain the correct level of solutes in the body's fluids. So dehydration also involves loss of electrolytes.

Use an electrolyte replacement drink. A good ones is Powerade, as well as Staminade or Lucozade. Dilute the staminade to one quarter strength with water i.e. one part Powerade to 3 parts water. Place in a saucer and put the snout of the lizard in the fluid for a few seconds. Take care not to immerse the nostril openings at the same time. The lizard should drink freely when released. Once they have had a drink, leave the lizards for a couple of hours and then repeat the procedure to allow them to top up if needed. The lizards can also be immersed in a 2 or 3 cms or so of the fuild, a couple of degrees warmer than their enclosure, for 10 to 20 mins, while being watched constantly. The vent area needs to be immersed for uptake through the wall of the cloaca.

If you have no luck first up, try again after say 30 mins. If after 3 attempts you still have no luck, PM me and I will post the details for forced administration of fluids.

Once the lizards are hydrated, do not launch into normal feeding. The digestive system is best eased back into operating. The day after rehydrating them they should be more active. There is a little glucose in the staminade to provide some ready energy. The idea is to boost that energy first before asking their digestive systems to work full on to provide energy from the usual sources. Honey or jam should be offered as a first meal and nothing else that day. That will give them the energy they need for several more days, during which, you can commence normal feeding. To be on the safe side, make the first two meals half size and then graduate to full sized meals.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
If animals under the care of someone who has been away a lot have died, it is almost certainly to be from dehydration. So absolutely the first thing you need to do is get the animals rehydrated. As the body fluids reduce in volume, the kidneys remove electrolytes in order to maintain the correct level of solutes in the body's fluids. So dehydration also involves loss of electrolytes.

Use an electrolyte replacement drink. A good one is Staminade. Dilute the staminade to one third strength with water i.e. one part staminade to 2 parts water. Place in a saucer and put the snout of the lizard in the fluid for a few seconds. Take care not to immerse the nostril openings at the same time. The lizard should drink freely when released. Once they have had a drink, leave the lizards for a couple of hours and then repeat the procedure to allow them to top up if needed.

If you have no luck first up, try again after say 30 mins. If after 3 attempts you have no luck, PM me and I will post the details for forced administration of fluids.

Once the lizards are hydrated, do not launch into normal feeding. The digestive system is best eased back into operating. The day after rehydrating them they should be more active. There is a little glucose in the staminade to provide some ready energy. The idea is to boost that energy first before asking their digestive systems to work full on to provide energy from the usual sources. Honey or jam should be offered as a first meal and nothing else that day. That will give them the energy they need for several more days, during which, you can commence normal feeding. To be on the safe side, make the first two meals half size and then graduate to full sized meals.

Blue

I always love reading your posts; so detailed and I always learn something :)

I have nothing sorry; but I just wanted to say good luck with the little ones. I'm glad they have gone to someone who cares for them.

Yep - silent auction. We were actually after the heat racks and thermostats etc that were in it and a pair of pythons. We thought there were a 'couple' of geckos so were obviously very suprised when we turned up yesterday as the guy made very little mention of them, the monitor or the frogs we have now acquired :shock: (after seeing the state everything was in we were not going to leave anything behind and did not bother to ask him about how to care for these guys).

Thankyou for the thread links - we did search yesterday but were searching under their scientific names that for the Shaei didnt turn up much.

One of those threads mentions climbers and one mentions ground dwellers, am I right in assuming the Nephrurus are ground dwellers? And these guys only eat crickets? Not fruit and vege like our beardies?

Use an electrolyte replacement drink. A good one is Staminade. Dilute the staminade to one third strength with water i.e. one part staminade to 2 parts water. Place in a saucer and put the snout of the lizard in the fluid for a few seconds. Take care not to immerse the nostril openings at the same time. The lizard should drink freely when released. Once they have had a drink, leave the lizards for a couple of hours and then repeat the procedure to allow them to top up if needed.

If you have no luck first up, try again after say 30 mins. If after 3 attempts you have no luck, PM me and I will post the details for forced administration of fluids.

Blue

Thankyou!!

The Ackie launched into the water bowl as soon as it was placed in the enclosure and seemed to drink quite a lot yesterday, unfortunately hadn't seen your post so he/she did get to smash a few crickets once it had warmed up as well....although it is small it seems to be doing quite well and is alot happier in an enclosure instead of a draw in the rack.

I have put some staminade in the water bowls for the others although have not handled them yet - they have not been picked up or handled at all (a couple are really skittish and scared, the other one and the two pythons try to attack you as soon as you go anywhere near them).

Are you able to post photos of the animals in question? When it comes to auctions and ballots, you can never be too sure about the validity of the identification of the species'.

If people can see what state the animals are in, we may be able to give more direct advice...

Yep will post some pictures up shortly....wanted to pretty much just get them home and leave them alone yesterday.

Last edited:
Please post photos
i would love to see these sheai that you say you have
cheers

Good score, if they stay alive-not too many sheai in the hobby. Good to see them in the hands of someone willing to do the research. And no, they don't eat any vegies..I'd reccomend dusting their insects with vitamin supplements, but I'm guessing you knew that already, so I won't.

IMG_7018.jpgIMG_7020.jpgIMG_7022.jpgIMG_7024.jpgIMG_7031.jpg

Apparently the Shaei is a female....am guessing will be looking for mates for both it and the Wheeleri if they pull through.

Good score, if they stay alive-not too many sheai in the hobby. Good to see them in the hands of someone willing to do the research. And no, they don't eat any vegies..I'd reccomend dusting their insects with vitamin supplements, but I'm guessing you knew that already, so I won't.

I keep and breed sheai and I have never seen one as poor condition as that! Pm me I'm willing to help you..

Morgan-dragon,
Sounds like the Ackie was not to serious and more on the thirsty side than dehydrated. That being the case, it is appropriate to recommebce normal feeding.

I was tired when I wrote post and have just added a couple of things. Powerade or Lucosade are bothe very good as well. You can also give a dehydrate reptile a bath in the diluted electrolyte at a couple of degrees above its normal cage temp. they can absorb it hrough he wall of the cloaca.

Sounds like they are going to be alright. I am pleased for you and happy to see the animals in loving care for a change.

traceylee,
Thanks and I am pleased they are having the desired effect. I don't have a huge post count because I prefer to post on subjects I knoe something about and provide the background understanding to explain the "why" bhind the advice. Unfortunately, they can get a bit long at times. Lol.

Blue

Additional Note:
Morgan-dragon,
Most geckoes are not good at drinking from water bowls. Some will but many will not, instead preferring to drink droplets of water running down objects after misting or water droplets placed on their snout/mouth area. They will also lick the fine spray from a mister used to wet their heads. So try getting them to drink by placing a spoon of water and staminade so that it wets their mouth or use a dropper to deliver one rop at a time to the mouth area. You can also try misting the head with the solution. And don't forget, there is the bath option.

Once they rehydrated, which will be evident in both appearance and level of activity, you should switch to pure water. Basically, they should not need more than one to three drinks of the electrolyte and water mix. Otherwise the kidneys will have to work to remove the excess electrolytes now being taken in and you want to avoid putting the animal under added stress while it is recovering.

My first post was general and I really wasn't thinking geckoes. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Morgan was that the silent auction with the Pygmy pythons? Did you get them.

Cheers Brenton

hi Brenton , they were underfed and dehydrated but now all seem to be coming good , we have been giving them plenty of attention

That's good. I hope you got a good deal I'm curious what you payed in the end if your happy to tell me plz pm.

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back