Urgent rodent question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm8

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just half defrosted some pinky rats and noticed some marks on the skin. Just wondering if anyone can give me an answer as I've never seen it before.
y4a5u8e7.jpg

They are like white pits in the skin. Thought it was ice and tried to wipe it off but doesn't move. So I dipped the bag in hot water and they still remained there....

Fay is probably correct. They will be fine to offer your animal anyway.

Jamie

Ok awesome thanks for the prompt reply. First time I've actually seen it. Mind you Im just defrosting on top of his enclosure to try prompt a feed since its been 3 weeks. Normally I defrost with warm water.

rodent pinkies

hi
bést not feed to your young pythons. flush down the toilet and buy some new pinkies from a different source

hi
bést not feed to your young pythons. flush down the toilet and buy some new pinkies from a different source

Don't be ridiculous. The pinky will be perfectly fine to use as food. Freezer burn does not indicate decay, it only reflects the fact that some of the water in the skin has gone from the tissue (it indicates evaporation from the solid (ice) phase to water vapour without the liquid (water) phase because the animal did not thaw out. The healthy red colour tells me it's perfectly fresh in all other respects.

Please don't waste them - they will be fine.

Jamie

hi

What??? Nonsense......

Its just freezer burn, dont worry about it and feed away.

hi
I too think that it looks like freezer burn but am curious to what you think it is and why it is harmful to young pythons.

hi

Freezer burn is an indication of variable temperature in storage and transport and is more common in ssmaller items with less thermal mass. Larger feed has hair to disguise any imperfections.There is no effect on the nutrition of the food item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back