US couple guilty, girl strangled by python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A US couple has been convicted in the death of a toddler strangled in her crib by a pet python.

cu-1Ln8JWAE

Published On: 15-Jul-11 08:48 AM
Source: AAP via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

Whoa, they copped 35 years; and so they should!

Who covers a burmese python's enclosure with nothing but a doona? Especially when there is a child in the house.

Utter stupidity, they deserve every minute of every day they spend in there...

Any idea where it says about the enclosure? None of the articles I've looked at say anything about how the python got out. The media seems to be emphasising the fact the python hadn't eaten in a month rather than it was housed inappropriately.

Who covers a burmese python's enclosure with nothing but a doona? Especially when there is a child in the house.

omg what the hell who cares that the burmese hadnt been fed for a month before.... dont we all do that anyway??!?!?! thats soooo stupid! but very irresponsible parents for letting such a large python out around children. i never let anyone hold my snakes unless i am there or give them permission. its just too risky and i dont even have anything that big or dangerous!

Any idea where it says about the enclosure? None of the articles I've looked at say anything about how the python got out. The media seems to be emphasising the fact the python hadn't eaten in a month rather than it was housed inappropriately.

Jesstesla, it was in a cardboard box with a quilt over it.

So what happens to the poor 'instrument of death' now? Thats what upsets me most about the pet industry, when dumb people buy them, dont care for them properly to ensure they are no danger to anyone then they attack and the animal gets blamed and put down. They made it sound like what the snake did was incredibly wierd and out of the ordinary. Silly people should not own any animals much less dangerous ones.

35 yrs would be the maximum penalty they haven't been sentenced yet.

An on going sad story of neglect both to the snake as well as to the child

I hope the snakes gets out alright, they had better not put it down...
I don't see why they would put the snake down, it's not as if when it tastes blood it's going to go on a killing rampage. Surely a Zoo or a private keeper would take it in

Yeah but with dogs for instance they will put one down if it has killed a person or seriously injured them irrespective of whether the dog or the person was at fault. I'm just not sure if it is the same with snakes.

They were careless
They were stupid
They did a very dumb thing
They were very unlucky as a 2 metre burmese normally wouldnt go anywhere near trying to eat a child

But who deserves 35 years for an accidental death when cold blooded murderers get 10 years???

I dont think they have actually been sentenced yet, I think 35 years is just the maximum sentence that they could recieve.
I have to disagree with what they are using for their defence, a Burmese python is not just like having a cat or dog, I mean who was the last person to be killed by their dog or cat while they were feeding it? I can think of 3 who have been killed while feeding their large constrictors.
Burmese pythons are a serious pet, they are one of the biggest snakes in the world, they can grow to 16+ feet and weigh more than a fully grown man. But, they can, and usually will make great pets if they are looked after properly by experienced keepers, not by amateurs who keep them in a bloody fishtank.
Its people like this who give snakes a bad name, the reptile licensing system in America needs some serious work done.

Hey longpi, as I understand it you often have very large pythons that are outside of their enclosures and can move about within an area as they wish? Of course I am not calling you irresponsible, the circumstances are worlds apart. But surely you do this because you know from experience these are placid snakes, they are not going to attack anyone unless in feeding mode, etc. If the people who have been found guilty had that same mindset from so much experience, I would find it only the neglect in that one should never take that risk with a child about and that one should control when the snake is able to be out (i.e. have proper enclosures) that is really different. This is what I think the defense are arguing and I am rather happy to agree that with that what these people did was stupid as all hell but not as bad as it is being painted as. Just my opinion.

Longpi and other trained staff will be attending to all the reptiles which the guests are exposed to. They aren't asleep in the other room like these parents were as their young child was exposed to the python.

He was calling them careless / stupid because the python wasn't properly locked away at night time and had access to where the child was sleeping

I remember when this first happened and I recall that the bloke stabbed the snake a few times and killed it while trying to get it off the child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back