User Reputation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: maybe if you put a bit more thought into the words you choose then it wont get deleted. Believe me, I've managed to re-word a lot of my posts to 'soften' the blow.

every 'reward' system is flawed, you are never going to stop the 'idiot' factor, some people love to see that they have made 1000 posts, but how many are useful ! Some people have to stir the pot,
There are some members here that make very few posts, but what they do have to offer is invaluable, and with so few posts they will never top the scoreboard.

Once you have been on here long enough you learn who speaks with fork tongue and who doesn't (Yes the pun was intended)

the scoreboard will be useful for newbies when they get ''advice'' from someone with no reputation, they will then hopefully wait for some more experience people to offer a few words...

the scoreboard will be useful for newbies when they get ''advice'' from someone with no reputation, they will then hopefully wait for some more experience people to offer a few words...

therein lies the flaw. rep points dont equate to knowledge or experience. much the same as post count

:lol:
There are some members here that make very few posts, but what they do have to offer is invaluable, and with so few posts they will never top the scoreboard.

Seems to be a major contradiction here.

therein lies the flaw. rep points dont equate to knowledge or experience. much the same as post count

I agree totally!

However, I am hoping that a system such as this will help stop the stupid remarks and needless threads that are always appearing. Or not, depends on how much it is abused.

I agree totally!

However, I am hoping that a system such as this will help stop the stupid remarks and needless threads that are always appearing. Or not, depends on how much it is abused.

Dont hold you breath on that Jen. The system is already abused when you can award points for any crap posted

I totally agree, its not perfect, the points are there for a guide, and a guide only,
in my opinion the theory is that the more points a member has then the more helpful they are, ..., if lots of people find what i offer helpful, i take that as a compliment, not that i know more than any one else - far from it :)

I see your point, "reputation points" can be misleading maybe it should be renamed to something else, why not just have 'helpful' points . :lol:

and you're right Baxtor it does sound contradictory, I dont think my brain and my fingers are in sync... what i was thinking wasnt coming out right. I could have worded that better.

I have no forum buddies and have a 3 point reputation, i don't really know anybody that well on here at all, if you post quality information or be a constructive contributor people will add to your rep..... i think its a good system because if followed the way its meant to be its just like market feedback, the transaction being our posts.

I have no forum buddies and have a 3 point reputation, i don't really know anybody that well on here at all, if you post quality information or be a constructive contributor people will add to your rep..... i think its a good system because if followed the way its meant to be its just like market feedback, the transaction being our posts.

While good in theory, I couldn't help but notice that quite a few useless mouth breathers had a stack of points already. I think this sort of reputation point system may be good for the kiddies, when perhaps they do not get enough validation at home. As far as it applies to actual quality threads, posts, etc, I prefer the good old fashioned PM or phone call if someone has offered up something particularily useful.

Just my 2 bobs.

I dunno about that!

It's been moved now but looking at the scoreboard there were a few people right up there that i wouldn't reccomend anyone taking advice from.

I'm pretty happy that score board is gone. I was noticing a few threads that could be described as no more than useless 'brown nose' threads, one even requesting to be made a sticky lol, looking for other brown nosers to add to the posters reputation. The reaction these posters gave to negative feedback really showed their motives. I guess that shows that the user rep system is working!

I dunno about that!

It's been moved now but looking at the scoreboard there were a few people right up there that i wouldn't reccomend anyone taking advice from.

I'm pretty happy that score board is gone. I was noticing a few threads that could be described as no more than useless 'brown nose' threads, one even requesting to be made a sticky lol, looking for other brown nosers to add to the posters reputation. The reaction these posters gave to negative feedback really showed their motives. I guess that shows that the user rep system is working!

LOL! Exactly right! I can guarantee, given enough time, I am certain that the person with the highest score would have eventually offered up some fatal advice to another equally high scoring but wholly inexperienced... individual. Twas a bit mis-representative of anything useful.

Is the whole point of the rep system about being part of the community, not about how much knowledge you have on a particular subject?

LOL! Exactly right! I can guarantee, given enough time, I am certain that the person with the highest score would have eventually offered up some fatal advice to another equally high scoring but wholly inexperienced... individual. Twas a bit mis-representative of anything useful.

I'm suprised that it happened as quickly as it did!

Step 1: give rep points to those that agree with my bitter, twisted and mostly wrong view of the world, slag off any one who dares to disagree

Step 2: ...

Step 3: Profit!!!

Is the whole point of the rep system about being part of the community, not about how much knowledge you have on a particular subject?

I thought it was about making useful contributions and toning down the, useless but entertaining, arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back