uvA+B lights!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyber_crimes

I have been looking at repti sun 20 fluro lights but they are $50 a pop.Does anyone know of any other fluro lights that have UVA+B spectrum?Also does anyone know how long these tubes last and how often they need replacing?

Hi CC
Get black lights, NEC t10. They last about 6months to a year. You can get them from the herp shop or maybe even a hardware store. They're just as good as Repti sun, if not, better! I use them for lizards. They're about 14 bucks
Cheers simon

Hi Sobrien,
I actually need daylight as it will be used during hours of the day (is it ok to run uva+b spectrum lights everyday to mimic daylight hours or should they only be used for several hours a week?).

CC,
They are used for day light hrs and I use them every day, even for my coastal (i dont know why really). I would probabally suggest them for every day use but if you're gonna use it for a DP then a few times a week should be ok too, but i would say every day would be best. (besides, it can't hurt)
Cheers Simon

Ahhh so is it a LIGHT light?When you said a black light I thought you may have ment a dark light for use at night times.

Black lights are the purple lights that you get at clubs 'n stuff that make white stuff flouresce. Also seen in those bug zappers. They don't give out much visible light.

Yep, it sure is a light LIGHT. They come in 24inch and 48inch

That is what I thought,but I need it for visible light to mimic daytimes.

Thanks heaps Sobrien,much appreciated.
Its a LIGHT light and its cheap hehe! woooohoooo...

You'd be surprised how good they are. :shock: :eek: All the snake and lizard breeders I know use them including Brian Barnett (herp shop owner this over 40yrs expierience for those who don't know). Don't feel that I'm pushing you to get them, I'm just rechomending them :!: :!: :lol: :D
No problems, any time CC
Sim

Serious?
In that case I wont even bother.
I intended to use outside aviary several times a week anyway.

Ill just use any white globe now.I figured the more uv I gave them the better,but at them costs every 3-6 months Ill take the extra time outside with them lol.

Yeah they are only good for 6 months or so.
Nother thing,I read somewhere about UV lighting is that even in outside shade a snake would get a much higher dose of UV.Also the UV output of a tube reduces over a very short distance so at say 2ft snakey would get two tenths of bugger all.Basically in a nutshell there is no substitute for outside sun or shade.
I will try and dig up the link with all the specs on it and post it here.

cheers M..........

Ripped off a web page.

Tube manufacturers recommended that you replace the tube at least every 12 months (sometimes sooner), as UV output decreases with time, and after 12 months the tube is no different from a standard fluorescent tube in terms of UV output. A good way to ensure that you change your bulb regularly is to write the date it was first used on the end of the tube in a permanent marker. This way it doesn't matter if you move the tube, change setups or whatever, as you'll always know when it's time to change the tube.
UV wavelengths are filtered by glass and plastic, so it is important that you have the UV bulb within the enclosure, not shining through the top or side. 95% of UVB light is filtered out by a sheet of glass. Aluminium fly screen filters out 30% of UVB light, so it's also important to have wide mesh screens over the tubes if you need to protect the animal from burns. In a lizard enclosure, you might get away with not covering the bulb, especially if the lizards you're keeping aren't good climbers. If you're housing a snake, a wide mesh screen such as 'mouse wire' is best, which should allow at least 95% of the light through.
UV light levels also decrease as you move away from the bulb's surface, so it's important that you position the bulb and your cage's furnishings so that your animals can get as close as possible to the bulb - a basking spot 300mm (12") from the bulb is ideal.

I'm still looking for the link that had a graph showing the differences between tubes,natural sunlight and natural light in shade.It could be somewhere in this link but I couldnt be stuffed searching through it :p

http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/reptile/enclosure/uvlighting.php

I use Repty Sun 5.0; it is much better, than the recommended 2.0 as for some snakes. Not only is it stronger, it also penetrates deeper (further down). Still, It probably would not even be as high a dose, as outside shade, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back