Uvb Bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leahellem

Reaction score
Were can i get cheap uvb bulbs the local pet stores are really expensive, or is there another type bulb i can use that is similar that i can get from any other stores?

try herpstore.com.au its sponsers this site and you will see it in the adds. they have all kinds of UV bulbs and the usual reptile brands but a lil bit cheaper (usually)

You could also try ebay......i just got 2 75W infra red bulbs, a 10Wuvb bulb & a uva/basking bulb for $35 including delivery.

try looking on reptile factory its melbourne based but they ship all over aus and there really really cheap i spent hours scrolling through google looking at reptile supplies and it was the cheapest and hes really quick to reply to any enquires

oh ok kool well i purchased one today from the local pet store i grabbed a repti glo 10.0 compact uvb globe is that a good one or should i of gotten a different one?

nope, thats perfect for a beardie :) They can cause some beardies to become a bit distressed, something to do with the light. I combined mine with a normal fluro for a more natural looking light. But combining it with a good spotlight will also work. Make sure it is positioned so it is in effective range. The range differs for each bulb, but I think under 40cm is good for most.

i found that most people prefer reptisun researched about them and found that reptisun is more better or something...i have the uvb globe and heat globe on oneside is that right iv been told it is but again everyone has diffrent says bout things...also i want to get to baby beardies is that not a good idea the enclosure is quiet a decent size for both them to grow up in although iv been told its not quiet a good idea maybe to females or 2 males? i dunno but i know that im goin to make sure the enclosure is running perfect before i put them in thanks for the info.

I grew my beardy up in a 4 foot enclosure just fine, spent most of the time on a log..
I have a heat light and a uv light side by side... uv light i got off ebay for less then 30 and i know it puts out good uv because my beardy is healthy and because over time uv has discoloured the plastic of my air vent lol..
Heat light is a 50w halogen bulb..
If you want a pair id go with 2 females or if u intend to breed a male and female... but two males will fight or so im told..
I only keep the one female so shes had no one to fight with or eat her toes etc :)
get your enclosure up and running first, set your thermostat and get your temps right before you ad an animal..
and most of all research its diet.

ok great so what iv done so far should be good...what do you prefer baby beardies feed and diet on someone said lettuce was no good but other said it was good do you know the go there...and yeah iv pretty much set the tank up fine now just askin a few quick facts thats all.

Lettuce is no good.. simple research will tell you this..
Feed things like woodroaches, crickets, dandilion flowers, clover, bok choy as well as various other greens but you must research what is good for your dragon and what will most likely make it drop dead...
All comes down to reading up and asking the breeder your getting them from..

The lettuce issue is actually quite simple. Your normal supermarket lettuce is “Iceberg” and the outer green leaves with the nutrients in them and not much water are discarded. The inner leaves, which are what we use in salads, are crispy as they are full of water but have almost no nutrient value. So feeding a beardie on this will fill up its tummy but basically only supplies water and some roughage. So in addition to getting no nutrients from a meal the beardie may also get diarrhoea and end up losing more nutrients than it gained. In contrast, the fancy lettuces such as “Cos” lettuce (often sold as a packet of leaves) have lots of colour and nutrients in the leaves and much less water. Hence, these are OK to feed your dragon.

The following three web pages have good information regarding feeding...
Frequently Asked Questions - Dachiu General Care
Bearded Dragon . org - Bearded Dragon Care Sheet.

Baby beardies will only eat insects to begin with. After a month or so you should start offering some greens. Do not leave uneaten crickets in the cage as they will often chew on a sleeping lizard at night. Many dragons will drink still water. An air stone or dripper into the water bowl can help overcome this.

Lastly, as you would know, UVB light is required to produce Vitamin D3 in the skin. This only happens effectively when the lizard is at its preferred body temperature. This is why it is essential to have the basking light and the UV bulb shining on the same spot.

Blue

well said blue nothin wrong with lettuce in small portions. except iceberg! variety is the key to feeding ur beardy :)

iv just noticed my heat globe fitting is really hot like you cant not touch it burns the globe is obvisously goin to be hot but is that normal both my fittings for my globes (uvb and heat) are both 150w max but have 75w in one fitting and the 10.0 uvb 26w in other could this be the reason why the other is really hot???

The fittings are rated to withstand a light globe up to 150W which is going to get very, very hot. So your light sockets would be ceramic rather than the normal household hard plastic. A 75W globe that does not have a lot of air movement around it can get very hot. Use of a good quality reflector can direct more of the heat downwards.

With any heating device inside an enclosure, make sure it passes the “touch test”, otherwise you risk burning your animals. Basically you should be able to hold your hand on it indefinitely. If you cannot do that, then it needs a wire cage around it. The wire cage has to be of sufficient dimensions to be able to pass the touch test.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back