UVB / lighting requirements for Jacky dragons (and or Mountain dragons)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen5

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Newbie here, My 8 yr old has been naging for a while. we have almost finished his setup ready for some dragons.
I have watched (and copied ) this setup.
They seem happy with 8w shade dealer UVB, But our second hand setup came with some lighting.
26w UVB 5.0
So im wanting to know what the minimum and maximums are?

Im also attempting a bio active setup with live plants. After some opinions on good setups.

Enclosure is a H600xW600xD450

Lot of effort there , and I'm guessing a fair bit of time involved and a few bucks at Bunnings too.

Wasn't toooo bad. Great hands on learning experiences for the boys.
This is the result of Sundays project.
Hopefully by next weekend it will be ready for some dragons.

Not sure how those plants will go. But had them around the house.
The dicondra is the only native, and endemic to the area jackys live too. Will be interesting to see what stays and what goes.
c049de4ccfa4479835f7da7aacf23302.jpg
d47c72e3668bdd9daf5a81b5e3d99f5d.jpg
a24ddec4dd40b0cb580b975b62e8a2f5.jpg

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

Are the jade plant's juicy leaves every nibbled ?
I'd be checking if these contain toxins that could harm your dragons when nibbled.

If it's green and leafy , it's at risk of a nibble by hungry dragon so be careful what plants you add the bioactive setup.
[doublepost=1581516911,1581516363][/doublepost]
Hi guys,
Newbie here, My 8 yr old has been naging for a while. we have almost finished his setup ready for some dragons.
I have watched (and copied ) this setup.
They seem happy with 8w shade dealer UVB, But our second hand setup came with some lighting.
26w UVB 5.0
So im wanting to know what the minimum and maximums are?

Im also attempting a bio active setup with live plants. After some opinions on good setups.

Enclosure is a H600xW600xD450

I would think an 8W "shade dealer ?" (mini ?) T8 tube , even if it's a 10%UVB wont have much UV penetration power . I'd be checking there's sufficient UVA and UVB for your jackys be healthy.

I know he had success with his 8w shade dweller, But I ended up getting a 24w setup to be sure.
Will Jackys nibble leaves? Unlike an eastern, I thought they wouldn't touch anything that doesn't move. same with a Heath dragon ?

Most of your plants are succulents – the Jade and the other Crassula behind it, the Ox Tongue (Gasteria sp) on the opposite side, and what is probably an Aloe sp (rather than a Hawthoria) in front. These plants need to be well drained and, to varying degrees, thes almost dry out between waterings. If kept too moist they can be susceptible to fungi and will rot. The Gasteria is the least moisture tolerant. The Dichondra on the other hand, needs to be kept moist at all times.
@nuttylizardguy, none of these are poisonous, so no worries there.

Jackys and Mountain Dragons make use of suitable fallen timber in nature. It affords them a good view while camouflaged. When I kept them I added well aged small logs and branches to provide sloping and horizontal perches for them.

Latest posts

Back