Varanus glebopalma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicbreeze

Reaction score
Found this little fellow busy with lunch on an outlier of the Arnhemland Sandstone Plateau. But when he'd finished dining he was ready for a session with the papparazzi. Probably a full belly put him in a good mood.

Juicy fat centipede, yummm!
ap-g-050707-105431.jpg

Can't you please at least wait until I've finished eating!
ap-g-050707-105508.jpg

Now, is this my best side?
ap-g-050707-105635.jpg

Or this?
ap-g-050707-105650.jpg

What about a nice beefed-up musclely look?
ap-g-050707-105755.jpg

How about this relaxed natural look?
ap-g-050707-110139.jpg

Or maybe this "on-the-hunt" look?
ap-g-050707-110453.jpg

Haha, great pics and find mate.

He doesn't look too worried about your presence. Thanks for sharing. That is one big centipede.

Oh wow! Lovely varanid.

Giant centipede as well haha

Thanks for all the comments. It's not a very big animal, from memory I'd put it at about half a metre. The centipede was more moderate sized, not as big as some of them we get. Coincidentally, the photos were taken around lunch time, between 11 and midday. It was on the Nourlangie-Mt Brockman outlier and well up from the lowlands. This particular one was amazingly unfazed by my presence. Every other glebopalma I've seen has pretty rapidly put a lot of distance between us.

Outlook from where it was photographed.
ap-g-050705-111940.jpg

Great series of shots! Would be great if every lizard posed like that for the camera.

Pretty sure you can get some big centipedes in many areas of Aus, found some huge blue/green ones around 20 cm long under tree bark in NE Vic, somewhere near Wangaratta. Wouldnt wanna get bitten by one, apparently the pain is full on. Been bitten by a small red centipede in the backyard, those common ones you always see, and that was even painful.

Certainly not your usual run-of-the-mill lizard. I suspect that people come through the area (it's not all that far of a track) and probably admire the scenery and Aboriginal rock art. Seeing them just sitting and resting there the glebopalma probably registered 'non-threatening species'.

Most of the centipedes I see here are the smaller ones. Occasionally some really big ones but not often. Never been bitten by one. Got stung by a scorpion once, on a finger. For 3 days was tempted to cut the finger off. But very little swelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back