Varanus kingorum questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Had my eyes on these guys for a while now but havent heard much about them in captivity. Are there any keepers breeding them? What price would i expect to pay for hatchlings? Any ideas on their captive requirments?

Hey mate,

I kept what turned out to be 3 females for a couple of years. They are incredibly easy to keep. I kept them in an enclosure 80cm long, 40cm high, 40cm deep with a 75 watt spot globe on a slate stack. Fed them on woodies and crickets, bit of sand and some water and they thrived the whole time. There were loads of eggs - normally in clutches of 2 or 3 - but were always infertile thanks to the lack of a male. They are very active, have heaps of character and their tails are just sooooooooo long!

cheers, in my field guide it says they are 33cm total lenght. Seeing as the tail is so long whats their body size? Any idea how much they are worth? These along with brevicauda are the 2 monitors a really would love to keep.

Hey mate, they would be flat out been 10cm SVL. I bought mine for a steal as the guy who previously owned them wanted to move them on pretty fast, but they generally go for $200-250 each for bubs and a bit more for adults. Strangely enough there's not a lot of interest in them.

kingorum used to be on the vic licensingg system,but its not now,maybe they were deemed unobtainable or something,anyone know why they were removed,as they would certainly interest me,as would brevis,and....and...and....

Hey mate, they would be flat out been 10cm SVL. I bought mine for a steal as the guy who previously owned them wanted to move them on pretty fast, but they generally go for $200-250 each for bubs and a bit more for adults. Strangely enough there's not a lot of interest in them.

i'm, suprised there is not much interest in them, sounds like they are easy to keep and breed, they are a very Manageable size, $200-$250 is a great price, i must track down a breeder for the upcoming season.

Good luck, they are as rare as rocking horse doo doo at the moment and I doubt you would buy them at that price in the face of the current monitor shortage.

dan, do you know of any breeders? pm me if you wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back