Venomous Australian snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crotalid

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I heard a while back on a program, that there are a multitude of venomous snakes in Australia that aren't considered medically significant to Adults.

Is anyone able to tell me what genus' they were alluding to? (I already know about Boiga).

Thanks.

Last edited:
It's quite hard to say that certain species aren't medically significant even if their venom toxicity is quite low. You can never foresee the possible effects even a low toxicity venom may have on a certain individual if they suffer from a severe reaction.

Last edited:
Just google a list of Aussie snakes, and discard the non-vens (only a few)...

Jamie

It's quite hard to say that certain species aren't medically significant even if their venom toxicity is quite low. You can never foresee the possible effects even a low toxicity venom may have on a certain individual if they suffer from a severe reaction.

Of course, but you can't label every venomous snake potentially life threatening. When in reality it may only create severe implications in very, very rare instances.

For example I would never call Heterodon nasicus, a snake capable of delivering a medically significant envenomation.

Most of our Elapids are considered not medically significant or unlikely to be medically significant.
But there are many things to consider such as allergy, age, health etc.

I also think that many genus of elapid that are considered not medically significant contain species that are exception to the rule.
Such as Parasuta and Demansia.

I would consider simoselaps to be medically insignificant but apparently they have caused reaction in adults I have been bitten with little more effect than my imagination. I don't think it even penetrated.

Of course, but you can't label every venomous snake potentially life threatening. When in reality it may only create severe implications in very, very rare instances.

For example I would never call Heterodon nasicus, a snake capable of delivering a medically significant envenomation.

Try these -

• Brachyurophis
  • Simoselaps
  • Vermicella
  • Antairoseprens
  • Cacophis
  • Drysdalia
  • Neelaps
  • Parasuta (one species has been implicated in a death but that was likely anaphylaxis)
  • Hemiaspis
  • Cryptophis (apart from C.nigrescens)
  • Suta (apart from S.suta)
  • Demansia (apart from D.papuensis and D.vestigiata)

It's prudent to mention that just because a species and genera isn't considered medically significant, doesn't mean bites are an occurrence which should be ignored. All elapid bites, regardless of textbook toxicity, should be avoided at all costs.

Hi Crotalid

There's plenty of elapids in Australia that are considered non-life threatening.
That being said, every venomous snake in Australia has the potential to kill, and some species that were considered "harmless" have killed via bite. Generally it's an allergic reaction to the bite itself rather than the toxicity of the venom. But there are plenty of species who do not come into contact with human oftens and their venom is very under studied.

That being said here is a small list of snakes that are considered non-life threatening.

Cacophis
Demansia (not papuensis or vestigata)
Furina
Hemiaspis
Denisonia
Rhinoplocephalus
Cryptophis (not Small Eyeds)
Suta (These are very under studied and people should be careful with this genus)
Parasuta
Elapognathus
Simoselaps
Brachynurophis
Vermicella

I understand what you're saying Crotalid :)

Check out the response from Jonno above, it's the best you could ask for!

Thanks guys, appreciate the response.

Of course it's best to not be bitten by any venomous snake as you simply do not know how your body will react.

Does anyone have experience with any of those genus' listed? Most of them are very nice! I wonder if any of them are available in Europe..

I was just thinking that they would be ideal snakes to introduce someone into the world of Elapids!

Some of the rear fanged vens cant deliver thier poison (haha ok...venom) because of the position of the fangs (unless it is a big one and you find yourself at the back of its throat) :shock:

Thanks guys, appreciate the response.

Of course it's best to not be bitten by any venomous snake as you simply do not know how your body will react.

Does anyone have experience with any of those genus' listed? Most of them are very nice! I wonder if any of them are available in Europe..

I was just thinking that they would be ideal snakes to introduce someone into the world of Elapids!

Quite often those that are beginning their quest into elapids start with Porphyriacus, I don't know what availablility is like where you are but they're beautiful animals.

Quite often those that are beginning their quest into elapids start with Porphyriacus, I don't know what availablility is like where you are but they're beautiful animals.

Oh, would've thought they would've started with something from one of the genus' above. Even though there are no fatalities from it (that I'm aware of).

Red bellies are nice snakes! My personal Aussie favourite is Pseudechis colletti. Hopefully will get my hands on some soon.

Some of these species are difficult to keep, for example due to size or diet (for example Vermicella eat blind snakes)

Oh, would've thought they would've started with something from one of the genus' above. Even though there are no fatalities from it (that I'm aware of).

Red bellies are nice snakes! My personal Aussie favourite is Pseudechis colletti. Hopefully will get my hands on some soon.

Yeah Collett's are beautiful, especially when they are young. They are also not a bad starting point in elapids.

Yeah Collett's are beautiful, especially when they are young. They are also not a bad starting point in elapids.

Indeed they are! Although red bellies are really growing on me. There is only one person with them in Europe apparently - big waiting list. 'Good things come to those who wait' lol.

Some of these species are difficult to keep, for example due to size or diet (for example Vermicella eat blind snakes)

Ah right, makes sense then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back