Venomous Exotics in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The points here are simple.

1. Safety.
2. Risks to our native wildlife.
3. Imprisonment (up to 2 years) and/or
4. Huge fines ($10k+)

?.and for what? Because it looks different, or it?s a novelty? The big question of ?IF? you ever get tired of it, then what? People are swapping carpets left right & centre all the time. I?m all for the keeping of non venomous exotics though (and if it can be done properly, even the venomous ones!). The international license works as far as I?m concerned, and I can?t understand why its implementation can?t be further introduced across the community. I do understand however, the blanket ban on exotic animals is not only simple, but cost effective for the DSE.

If these venomous exotics are permitted to be privately kept, the main problem will be the cost factor involved with their regular maintenance. Who foots the cost in the keeping of AV at the local hospitals for these keepers (definitely not the responsibility of taxpayers)? The cost would most certainly have to fall on the keepers themselves. I?d be interested in hearing what the processes are involved with the stocking of AV to local hospitals (I dare say I?ll get a good answer on this). Am I also correct in saying that if a keeper has a native Elapid in their possession, that their closest hospital has to be notified on the type of animal kept, as to ensure there is a supply of the appropriate AV on call?

I realize that here in Melbourne that stocks of AV for Copperheads, Tiger snakes and Red Bellies etc are commonplace. But, the stocking of AV for Inland Taipans & Death Adders etc at our local hospitals would seem to be an irrelevant acquisition simply because they are not a threat to the people here.. It would be like New Zealand stocking a large and varied supply of anti snake venom, it?s just not necessary.

The best thing we can hope for at the moment is that the DSE isn?t ever going to become complacent about this topic. Their decisions at times to me can seem rather ruthless, and sometimes not very well thought out. But through the articles and news clippings I read from time to time, I?m certainly glad we?re not the U.S. and experiencing the problems they are due to lax regulations. :roll:

For venomous exotics, i suppose a venom bank idea might work. The keeper has the snake milked and antivenom produced but pay cost of production/ storage , be on a database ???
not sure how that could work. seems people of any dangerous hobby/profession must be self responsible, its not up to the law to make you act sensibly.

sxereturn said:
You have the same mentality as Christians, which ISN'T a good thing.

I think any mentality is better than one fuelled by testosterone and the need for adrenalin. Not to mention 2-inch long fangs.

Simon Archibald

Let?s face it Instar. I'm probably going to get screamed down for this, but whoever wants to take a swipe - go for your life! As I used to be heavily involved with drag racing at track level, it was always obvious to me some of types it used to attract. I dare say that the keeping of reptiles, particularly venomous ones, is a fashionable addition to plenty of 'toughies'. The main thing is that these types of people obtain these animals illegally anyway and don?t proceed through the proper channels to obtain them. Not to mention the reasons for having them in the first place. To these sorts of people there is no difference in keeping a Death Adder or an exotic Pit Adder. So here in lies a big part of the problem. By no means are these people a definition of the word 'responsible' or let?s go as far as using the word ?intelligent? and will not act accordingly. There is plenty of truth in what I?ve just stated. I will say however, that I'm not aiming these comments across the board and realize the desirability of these animals to real herpologists.

Good point Moose, cowboys in every feild. Same with pitbulls etc, certain mentality attached methinks. Sadly people will always want things, be animals or anything else, for the wrong reasons. If exotics could be obtained legally, there would have to be very tough character checks, cooling off periopds etc, much like a prospective gun buyer. You dont want to sell a gun to Martin Bryant or a pitviper to Raymond hoser. :lol:

David, I think it's a great idea. However, the problem with an internet based list of exotics is that a lot of the people who keep and breed exotics vens would never come across it and probably wouldn't care if they did. It would need at least a TV / Radio campaign with a phone in hot line I think.

If Hoser free handles vens, yes, let's give him a few.

Yes, I have seen Rhino Vipers and eyelash Vipers, Cobras, Boa constrictors, Alligators, Iguanas, and others, and yes Sxe, I'm in awe of them, enough that I want to see them protected like our natives are, in their own countries.
Even our natives CB species escape sometimes, how much damage would escapee exotics do? Read some US sites about dumping rates also.

When the US changes laws that say they can catch wilds, then we should consider opening imports, not before. It's asking for trouble.

Our 1st line of defense should be, if the laws are in place to exclude illegal exports to this country, It's a law. Follow it.
Then, you are not doing anything wrong and can sleep happy.

I can't help it, I think it's greedy. Sorry.
Em.

So you never go to zoo's and wildlife parks to see animals you cant have Em? Why is it greedy to have a deep intrest in an animal that happens to be non native to your country of origin?
A sterile escapee cant do much (unless its venomous :twisted: )Also many exotics may not survive parts of our climate anyway. as for dumping, regular checks of licensees and a jail term for dumping an animal/and/or an organised place to hand in an unwanted animal would fix that, along with hefty fees for the license. You cant dispose of a native you've had less than 6 months, a similar regulations could apply? All comes back to fear, look what happened with canetoads etc. P.s. If the silly buggers had the forsight to sterilise the firstbatch of cane toads as a safe gaurd, they might have prevented todays mess. Most arguments against licensing exotics seems to be based on enviroment/eco concerns, but all these problems can be worked around with some careful sensible planning and very strict guidelines. better to have sterile healthy exotics than illegal, virile and possibly disease carrying ones smuggled in. People break the law because its there. :lol:
If there were laws put inplace befor any legalisation, it would be possible to prevent a "flood" of exotics. for example, a requisit waiting list for applications to import, say 12 months, then 6 months quaranteen period, all expenses to be paid be the applicant including import licensing quaranteen, sterilisation. Higher ongoing fees for licensing than for natives, not to mention very high prices for the animals themselves. A strict limit on numbers per applicant, and a license grade system. requisit training on husbandry and handling for the species being imported to be satisfactorily completed before hand. further restrictions on housing, locked room policies for venomous and no tolerance regulations with removing an exotic from the premises. compulsary microchipping for id. these things combined would choke off the flow of incoming exotics to a trickle and weed out the cowboys too. (cept the rich ones LOL)
It could be done without disasters.

Have you ever seen them without the glass in front of them em? Have you touched them? have you seen them feed, mate or any of other awesome things they do, ever seen them pump ot 5 grams of highly toxic venom into a beaker.. I doubt it. we do have some awesome snakes and Australian snakes are the best, however there are some AWESOME exotics. I will never keep exotics when they are illegal, but if they are legalized one day, I will be one of the first to get some!

I agree Slateman, this is what happens when people are not forced to abide by the rules. :?

Bartiji, I have never had the pleasure of seeing any exotic snakes, maybe a few pics but thats it. If they were legal I would definately own a few.

instar said:
So you never go to zoo's and wildlife parks to see animals you cant have Em? Why is it greedy to have a deep intrest in an animal that happens to be non native to your country of origin?

:D No Inny, I love seeing reptiles of all kinds anywhere they are displayed; that's how I saw the Rhino Viper, Iguana and such. I don't have a moments problem with not being able to own them, I do have a deep interest Inny. I'm plain obsessed! :oops: and in awe and I'll learn what I can about them, I find all reptiles fascinating.

Some species I've looked into are the Green Iguana, The C.atrox r
Rattlesnake, The Anaconda, many kinds of Boas, Burmese and ball pythons, Corn snakes, the Corals and Kingsnakes- some exotic turtles and tortoises, and the exotic agamids.
I'm no brainiac but I retained some information.
None of which we can get here but I was intrigued enough to want to find out.

I still have so much more to learn about our own also!!

I'll just remind you that it's a hobby for me, 8) I don't plan to make money out of my snakes, and I have many more incredible non vens in Australian species to try yet.
Moth will NEVER let me have a ven and he's quite right and totally sane about that! :lol:

Brodes - yes I saw snakes being milked when I was a kid and you were a twinkle in your grandads eye. :shock:
I envy your experience with the vens especially more recently, and you are obviously making this a career path, please understand it's just my opinion which I know will not change the outcome of any reptile keeping laws - and I'm sure you'll always be able to get your hands on something fun, with your contacts :)
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back