Venomous Handling Methods: Hands on or Hands off?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venomous snakes: how do you prefer to catch them?

• Hook/Jigger

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Tailing

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Pinning

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Tongs

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legally_Red

Not so new Member
Reaction score
It's been interesting reading different opinions about different handling courses, and the views of the course operators themselves, on which handling methods should be used when catching wild venomous snakes, and then, which of these should be taught.

Some courses advocate "no contact" training - simply hook it into the bag and go. Some seem to teach every handling method possible ... and others are selective.

Calling all handlers of venomous snakes.... what do you think?

Hooking vs. tailing vs. pinning vs. dare I say it, tongs.

jigger and tail method is what i have been taught and in most cases if i placed the bag down in front of the ven (especially juvies) they tend to go straight into the bag so even handling is almost non existant the least stress you can put on a snake the better ........from what i have seen with those tongs the snake automatically thinks its under attack ,being grabbed around the head area .....and so you have increased the danger for you and the snake.(jigger and hook are the same it just sounds better when you tell people you catch it with a jigger some people think hook and imagine you are gonna gaff it )redbellybite:)

oh and pinning is used only under circumstances where you need to. I have only pinned one snake, an eastern brown ,4 footer ,because it was caught in a ladys carpet and trying to pull it backwards out of the freyed mess of carpet would have been bad for the snake so i pinned the head placed my bag near its head and slowly released the snake and went straight into the bag ..............RBB

hat and rear body (pre tail?)...hoop bag... hook and rear body... depends on species and size...

i am unsure how you can hook a wild venomous snake and drop it into a bag with out touching it, the "no contact" means you mention...

There's no formula, you use what is needed for the situation. It's hard to bag a snake that is caught in netting without touching it. If someone is dumb enough to tail a snake that has it's mouth 2" from it's tail without using a hook, then we are better off without them in our geme pool anyway. Always use the least invasive means necessary is my opninion, which is why I don't understand how people can be anti-hook. What's the diference between using a hook and using a stick? Except you can be confident the hook won't break half way through.
I am yet do do a relocate where the snake is sitting in the middle of an open area but if it was, straight tail and bag would be the go.

have only used hook and bag, i grabbed the tail of a whip snake but only very briefly. With a few more locates i think i'll build up the courage to try tail a RBB or similar. Browns will be hooks only until i learn the right way to handle them.

The hook is an extension of your arm. It allows you to move and manipulate the snake and things around it without getting within biting range(generally). It can allow you to hold a snake by the tail end and have some(repeat, some) control over its movements.
As Magpie says not all situations are the same and you must adapt to the situation so all the methods have their application. Even tongs can have their place though not in my rack.

Horses for courses really, it depends on what you feel most comfortable with on the day, no one method can work in every situation you come across.......experience and practice will determine your favoured technique, most important use your brain, if you are in too deep, dont play the hero, remember someone out there actually cares about you and would be very upset if you were to be tagged!!

I think that the pinning tool only comes to use with tv presenters and venom milking applications, there are not to many relocation jobs that would require you to grip the snake behind the head... (releasing from netting, drink cans aside;-)

, most important use your brain, if you are in too deep, dont play the hero, remember someone out there actually cares about you and would be very upset if you were to be tagged!!

Well said, exactly why i love my hooks!!! There's no point putting yourself in danger if you don't have to.

All depends on situation. I prefer to tail and then control with a hook but that isnt always possible. Can be dependant on the tools at hand aswell, its easy to tail a snake into a hoop bag but not so easy into a pillow case straight out of the house owners linen cupboard. I most situations relocators will have all the appropriate gear on hand but i have been caught out with nothing but a hook in the car.
Im comfortable pinning to check over the snake, half these people that ring in have already taken a few swipes at the animal with a log or garden tool. I think its important to make sure the animal isnt injured before being released.

Adjust your methods to suit the situation, theres no one way that is suitable to every job.
Jordan

I agree with urodacus_au. I prefer hook and tail but I have been in a situation where a lady is having panic attacks whilst a tree snake was behind her entertainment unit. it took nearly 2 hours to catch because the unit was solid timber with about 300kgs of stuff on it so it couldnt be moved and the snake was coursing in and out of the dozens of cords and nooks and cranny's. Had it been a taipan or mulga snake (common inhabitants of my town) stuff that give me the tongs for this situation.

Jonno from ERD will be able to give you some very good advice on this one Legally red

Yes, Johnno advocates the hook as manipulation into the bag and I think it is by far the safest method, but as mentioned different situations can arise where other methods are needed. I don't beleive that hooks are detrimental to a snake.

Although many have told me my training is all wrong, I did a catch and release course and was taught to tail them. Nobody was bitten and I still haven't been.

Yes, Johnno advocates the hook as manipulation into the bag and I think it is by far the safest method, but as mentioned different situations can arise where other methods are needed. I don't beleive that hooks are detrimental to a snake.

Your kidding me arent you. That method will work on bits of rope, rubber snakes and sluggish snakes. Try it with an active one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back