Venomous Lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked at your link, but I'm assuming it's in reference to Fry's research. That was some very interesting research. It also explained and confirmed a couple of things I'd thought about slatey-grey's...

:shock: Good reading.Thanks for sharing!:D:D

i heard that they have a compound in their saliva that is found in rattle snake venom

Weird but seems true im suprised::shock: so that means my two little beardies are venormous hope that doesn't mean you can't keep them on a class 1 license:lol::lol:

Yeah, thats been around for a while, its really pretty cool. I just hope your average joe bloe doesnt take it the wrong way....we might see people getting airlifted to hospital for a beardy bite...

I might add to this thread as well, with the following. This was a response from Fry regarding venom in Stegonotus cucullatus:

With the exception of the colubrids that have secondarily evolved new
forms of prey capture (e.g. powerful contriction) or switched prey that
doesn't require venom (e.g. to eggs or slugs), pretty much all of them
have it [venom] to a variable extent. Jaw power does come into play inversely
proportional to venom. So the 'bully feeders' like Ptyas, Drymarachon and
Pseustes have very small venom glands. Stegonotus still have a bit of
venom but uses it incombination with strong jaws that can do a lot of
damage to a frog. Its all variations on a theme.

Interesting stuff, when you learn that your beardies and non-venomous colubrids actually have venom! :)

i would like to see more detailed information than that crappy report
such as a paper written by someone with credibility

i have heard rumors of monitors having some sort of venom
but beardies?

anyone know of some more reliable resource ?

i am skeptical

dr bryan fry discovered

it has been long held that only two of the worlds lizards species, confined to the usa and mexico, were venomous. But recent research has led to discovery that monitors,and some other lizards possess a venomous bite. The venom , designed to assist in subduing thier prey, is mild and not dangerous to humans.
cheers steve

Last edited:
Pimp: http://www.venomdoc.com/

Dr. Bryan Fry is the man who did the research. Check out his site for info. He's also got a forum if you want to contact him for more info.

the things that i have herd was that they are not venomous, but because they eat a lot of dead animals it is the bacteria in the mouth that causes problems, like the komodo dragon

the things that i have herd was that they are not venomous, but because they eat a lot of dead animals it is the bacteria in the mouth that causes problems, like the komodo dragon

If you read the article, the author noted that the adverse reaction to lizard bites was too quick to be caused by bacteria, which is why he looked for other causes...

i heard that they have a compound in their saliva that is found in rattle snake venom

Humans have many compounds in their saliva which are also found in the saliva of all venomous snakes. According to Fry's story, there are venomous lizards which are vegetarian and have no major predators... c'mon, that's just silly! :lol: By the same principles that Fry describes (all that you need to be venomous is teeth and tissue-destroying enzymes in your saliva), you could say that every mammal (with the possible exception of things like whales) are venomous. People can even spit their venom! ;) There is perhaps some merit to what he is saying when it comes to monitors, but predominantly he is just twisting the story.

it has been long held that only two of the worlds lizards species, confined to the usa and mexico, were venomous. But recent research has led to discovery that monitors,and some other lizards possess a venomous bite. The venom , designed to assist in subduing thier prey, is mild and not dangerous to humans.
cheers steve

I have two books on my shelf at home dedicated to Monitor lizards and both volumes include sections on beaded lizards. Both books were published prior to Fry publishing his research.

Monitors and Beaded lizards (including the Gila monsters) seem to fairly closely related from an evolution and genetic perspective.

Humans have many compounds in their saliva which are also found in the saliva of all venomous snakes. According to Fry's story, there are venomous lizards which are vegetarian and have no major predators... c'mon, that's just silly! :lol: By the same principles that Fry describes (all that you need to be venomous is teeth and tissue-destroying enzymes in your saliva), you could say that every mammal (with the possible exception of things like whales) are venomous. People can even spit their venom! ;) There is perhaps some merit to what he is saying when it comes to monitors, but predominantly he is just twisting the story.

I think your twisting his words there Sdaji, I've read the paper and the conclusion isn't that Varanids or Agamids use the venom mechanism, simply that venom may have evolved earlier in squamate evolution then was previously hypothesised. The paper is more of an Evolutionary Biology paper then a Toxinology or animal behaviour paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back