Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I guess I should take that statement back then. For the record though, I had heard this from adder owners. I didn't make it up myself

i typically say redbelly to this question.
but i think the idea of a training snake is a bit silly, get what you like and don't get bitten.

As an adder keeper i wouldnt recomend them as a first Ven, They are extremely fast to react/strike and can catch many people out. They teach you very little about Vens in general as they dont behave like the others at all.

As far as everyone saying all these other recomended snakes are good to start with caution still needs to be exercised as venom reacts quite differently from person to person.
What may not effect one may render another very ill or dead!

Last edited:
I can recommend a few mildly venomous exotics if you want...but I would have to agree with the others for...for now just stick with a red belly black and see how it is

I can recommend a few mildly venomous exotics if you want...but I would have to agree with the others for...for now just stick with a red belly black and see how it is
Plus the whole exotics being illegal thing might make it a bit difficult to find them :p

But aren't RBB's one of the top 10 most venomous snakes in the world? I think they must be ruled out if they are that deadly.

But aren't RBB's one of the top 10 most venomous snakes in the world? I think they must be ruled out if they are that deadly.

lolz'ss!!

Plus the whole exotics being illegal thing might make it a bit difficult to find them :p

Yeah and the (limited) access to antivenom may be a problem.....

That really sucks that exotics are illegal...

And the pigs have been fed and are ready to fly!

I don't think so…

There is purportedly one recorded death of a child who died of renal failure. That would indicate an abnormal reaction to the venom. Hardly ranks when you start looking at other highly venomous snakes. Lots of recorded instances of people surviving bites of RBB without medical intervention – not that I would recommend that particular course of action following a bite.

Blue

lol my first ven that i kept was eastern browns [stupid i know] when i was on the mainland, i can safely say though that i haven't been bitten yet.. then moved on to tigers and copperheads.. , i wouldn't give up my tigers now. they are by far my favourite ven :)

And the pigs have been fed and are ready to fly!

I don't think so…

There is purportedly one recorded death of a child who died of renal failure. That would indicate an abnormal reaction to the venom. Hardly ranks when you start looking at other highly venomous snakes. Lots of recorded instances of people surviving bites of RBB without medical intervention – not that I would recommend that particular course of action following a bite.

Blue

LOL I thought that my post was quite obviously a wind up?

Just wondering why nobody ever suggests a marsh snake, crowned snake ect as a beginner? Is it because they are hard to get feeding? I'd assume that a mildly venomous small elapid would be better for beginners than a fairly large potentially deadly elapid.

Just wondering why nobody ever suggests a marsh snake, crowned snake ect as a beginner? Is it because they are hard to get feeding? I'd assume that a mildly venomous small elapid would be better for beginners than a fairly large potentially deadly elapid.

Market. Small elapids are not readily as mush as large (common ones any way) just look at the classifieds.
Most small elapids require specialized feeding or care as well and some of them are not bullet proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back