Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helikaon

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so i work for a vet that owns a few different clinics around the area. and i got a call this morning from one of the the nurses at one of our other clinics sayign there was a snake inside the clinic, and she was a bit afraid. so anyways i drive over there and i find a 2ft yellow faced whip snake juvi. will have to get pics, so i pop him in a container and bring him with me as he will need to be released. 2 hrs later the nurse calls me again sayign that i msut have let it go jsut outside instead of takign it with me because there is another snake in the same place. so i drive back over and its another yellow faced whip snake a little bigger then the first. while im there i had a look around for how they were getting in and it must be snake haven there as there was 2 nice sized brown snake skins jsut out the back door and water dragons all aroudn the place to lots of trees and a dam so its perfect for herps.

but on a slightly different note, i dont know fi anyoen else int eh idustry is finding this but the eastern brown snakes bite is affecting coagulation a lot more this year in dogs then what it was last year, we are finding that we need numerous vials of antivenine before the clotting factors are returning to normal. i foudn this interesting as technically its the black snakes that cuase a higher coagulopathy and the browns more so affectign the nervouse system. so yes i foudn it interesting.

now i just need a camera to snap a pic of these little guys.

cheers
H.

but on a slightly different note, i dont know fi anyoen else int eh idustry is finding this but the eastern brown snakes bite is affecting coagulation a lot more this year in dogs then what it was last year, we are finding that we need numerous vials of antivenine before the clotting factors are returning to normal. i foudn this interesting as technically its the black snakes that cuase a higher coagulopathy and the browns more so affectign the nervouse system. so yes i foudn it interesting.

now i just need a camera to snap a pic of these little guys.

cheers
H.

What kind of sample are we talking? 10-15 dogs or more? Could also be time of year that is causing it, if the snakes are only just back to feeding they will have lovely full venom glands.

What kind of sample are we talking? 10-15 dogs or more? Could also be time of year that is causing it, if the snakes are only just back to feeding they will have lovely full venom glands.

theres been atleast 10 dogs so far, and have all been pretty full on. and the majority of the snakes have been identified due to the fact that unfortunately the dog has killed the brown. another fact ive foudn is most fo the dead snakes brought in have also been male so obviously they are on the move looking for girls.

theres been atleast 10 dogs so far, and have all been pretty full on. and the majority of the snakes have been identified due to the fact that unfortunately the dog has killed the brown. another fact ive foudn is most fo the dead snakes brought in have also been male so obviously they are on the move looking for girls.

I think they are more likely to be males cause the females are wrapped around eggs atm (I think anyway i doubt they are off looking for girls at this time of year). Dogs are very efficient at killing snakes, 7/10 times i found the dog comes off without a problem. Do you guys use a VDK or do you wait to see symptoms of a bite?

I think they are more likely to be males cause the females are wrapped around eggs atm (I think anyway i doubt they are off looking for girls at this time of year). Dogs are very efficient at killing snakes, 7/10 times i found the dog comes off without a problem. Do you guys use a VDK or do you wait to see symptoms of a bite?

we have a vdk, but we only use it if one they dont bring the snake or dont know what the snake was, or 2. if they want to spend the money. as it is expensive. but im talking about symptoms as serious as urinating blood adn bleeding from mouth and nose due to burst capilaries. some fo these didnt even go in the back legs. and then we are looking at 20-40 mls antivenom before any coagulation comes back

Hi all,

For starters venomous snakes do not coil around their eggs in Australia (Bushmasters Lachesis are the only venomous that coil around eggs that can think of off the top of my head).

Elapids are still mating at this time of year.

Radio tracking has shown that (in the snakes tested) that males often have home range about 4 times that of the females, as they patrol the territories they own they are more often encountered by traffic, humans and pets.

As for coagulation rates, I find it surprizing to here such a marked shift however, this could be due a small sample size. Also Pseudonaja often cause coagulation issues (more deaths occur from brain haemorrages than from neurotoxic affects).

With VDK tests they are notorious for giving misidentification....a bite from black head python can show up tiger snake antivenom and Whip Snakes show up as Browns.

Cheers,
Scott

Could it just be individual variation you're seeing, and you've just had the luck to have so many?

I can't think of any reason venom would have a different effect this year to any other year.. Unless the venom composition of Qld elapids changed in the last year (not likely) hahaha

lol yeah i think we are just having the luck of the draw , god just likes to make me work harder. but i will keep an eye out for snakes bites over the season, and see if anything changes. most have been some nice sized browns to. very nice specimens its unfortunate that they came to an end.

at the clinic last yr we had a few with coag problems, cant remember how many in comparison to the total patients. i do remeber a couple of cases which needed a few transfusions as well as one which was placed on the ventilator - a jack russle which came in with a bleeding tounge, act test +10 min and developed nero symptoms on the table so must have been hit just before it came in.

heres the pics

DSCF2326.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

DSCF2331.jpg

DSCF2332.jpg

DSCF2333.jpg

DSCF2335.jpg

DSCF2336.jpg

heheh and just a few other random pics i took today
DSCF2344.jpg

DSCF2345.jpg

DSCF2347.jpg

DSCF2283.jpg

DSCF2282.jpg

DSCF2281.jpg

enjoy

cheers
H.

With VDK tests they are notorious for giving misidentification....a bite from black head python can show up tiger snake antivenom and Whip Snakes show up as Browns.
VDKs only indicate which type of anti-venom to be used ( there are only 5 types) NOT the type of snake, so if a YFWS bite goes bad then they would use brown snake AV, or, as in my case, use tiger AV for a marsh snake bite.
I would like to no more about the BHP bite returning a positive result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back