Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow_Wolf_Black

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hell All, I am building a 3 tier enclosure out of an old book case I picked up to be a bit of a feature in the lounge. First project so it is experimental, and I wouldn't call myself overly handy. Where do you guys get your vents from?

Yeah Bunnings, mitre 10. Any hardware shop. Get metal ones though as plastic can weaken over time :D

thanks, my first choice was bunnings (used to work there). And I'll make sure I stick to the metal.

Speaker covers work great as well. I find it easier to cut holes with a holesaw rather then a jigsaw, round holes look great as well.

A lot of people go into $2 shops and buy the stainless steel sink strainers, bunnings are more expensive then $2 shops for them but you can also get them there.

Rick

Bunning has a really crap selection of vents, none of them fit well with the generic melamine enclosures... May work for you tho.

Bunnings have some pretty nice wood vents that you can stain to match the bookshelf.

The UV light will tend to turn the plastic vents yellow and cause them to go brittle.
Some metal mesh that you can maybe get some off cuts from a security door manufacturers. The weave is nice and tight to keep things in or out.

Additional

The UV light will tend to turn the plastic vents yellow and cause them to go brittle.
Some metal mesh that you can maybe get some off cuts from a security door manufacturers. The weave is nice and tight to keep things in or out.

At the moment I have some higher quality fly-screen, but the area it covers is probably about 2/3s of the current enclosure (bought it 2nd hand). Living in Darwin I have less of a problem with keeping the heat in, and more of a problem with keeping it well ventilated. I will be replacing it though as my little boy (human) is getting to crawling point and obviously need something more robust in case he figures out how to get to it. Will be replacing with perspex and liking your idea of security mesh.

I might add I only just got your signature MrVic. Feeling a bit slow.

i have started using a product called pet mesh i think it is it is very strong..you just have to find a way to frame it into your enclosure....
I'll look into it. if you had a router you could set it in assuming you're using wood and frame it with a few strips of pine. I might have a look for the mesh, see if it's cost is worth while.

Gutter guard from Bunnings at $22 for a roll that you could build a full size adult mesh wire form :)
As suggested, frame it with a few strips of untreated pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back