Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO humble as it is.
If the lizard likes it, even gets excited when it sees or smells it before it gets it, then the lizard knows best what it needs so give the lizard what it likes.

If that's cat or dog food from a can, so what.

If it likes little bits of peoples' food as a treat, let it have it have it as treat.

Your blue tongues are just lazy then. I keep mine free range. Its pretty freaky really. If I go out to the house paddock at night with a spotlight I often pick up the pack swarming over a cow or lamb they just took down. Like a pride of bloody lions at times. All fighting over the choice meat. You should see them in action. A few go in to the front legs, trip the target prey over then they come in from all over the place and go for the throat

I suppose you don't eat any form of processed food stuff either.

living in the country we have to lock our freezers to keep the wild reptiles from stealing our frozen rodents

IMO humble as it is.
If the lizard likes it, even gets excited when it sees or smells it before it gets it, then the lizard knows best what it needs so give the lizard what it likes.

If that's cat or dog food from a can, so what.

If it likes little bits of peoples' food as a treat, let it have it have it as treat.

I've heard Bearded Dragons love Avocado, I have also heard it is likely to cause death to them.....

Next time feed your reptiles dog food read the fact that 99% of dry food even wet food doesn't even have meat in it. My gf dad runs a factory where they mate it and let's just say I wouldn't feed it to any animal I own ever.

then your obviously buying poop dog food.

What do you feed your french bull dog then?

Next time feed your reptiles dog food read the fact that 99% of dry food even wet food doesn't even have meat in it. My gf dad runs a factory where they mate it and let's just say I wouldn't feed it to any animal I own ever.

Is a bit like a lot of the food we eat, if you read what companies put into our food it is staggering. Additives, preservatives, colourings and even flavour enhancers all put in so that something tastes or looks like we think it should.
Pretty scary really but I suppose like anything it's ok in moderation, except for beer and bourbon which is ok in large quantities. :lol:

then your obviously buying poop dog food.

What do you feed your french bull dog then?

Both my pug and French bulldog get there meal cooked by my self and Ashleigh , mix of mince and veggies and brown rice . There dry food is earthborn which is all natural dry food and top the range has no preservative or unnatural products in it like corn flower and wheat flower , or by products what they use in most dog foods just so it fill them up

each to their own, but i just looked it up and i wouldnt feed it to my dogs. there is some things in it i aggree with but most i dont. wait till /if one of your dogs develops a food allergy and i can assure you that you wont be feeding that stuff

Dogs don't need dry food they need bones, they don't need their food cooked and I would imagine brown rice would play havock with their digestive system. I do agree with the argument against commercial dogfood though. My EWD eats wet cat food on occasion and my old blue tongue used to.

I could eat maccas every day. But is it good for me?

Lets not lose sight of the original question posed. None of us are aware of the complete diet of the skinks concerned. Therefore a conclusion on whether their diet is appropriate or not is moot. However, a balanced diet, for any captive reptile should always be encouraged.

Dogs don't need dry food they need bones, they don't need their food cooked and I would imagine brown rice would play havock with their digestive system. I do agree with the argument against commercial dogfood though. My EWD eats wet cat food on occasion and my old blue tongue used to.

Well The diet both my dogs are on is from two well known breeders it white rice which not good for them brown rice in really good for them.

I don't really understand why the O.P. was attacked. His concern was legitimate - It's quite possible those blue-tongues were getting dog food as a staple and it's widely known that cheap dog food isn't a particularly good diet, even for dogs. I can say with confidence that if someone showed images of their monitor being fed dog food on a monitor forum they'd get the verbal/typed equivalent of being tarred and feathered pretty quickly. I also do not subscribe to the 'lizard knows best' line of thought, because all of their instincts have been honed to food available naturally, not to the assortment of artificial diets concocted by humans. They will happily eat the wrong food until they die of obesity, metabolic bone disease or any one of a wide variety of ailments caused by a poor nutritional mix.

There was a classic example of this on this very forum, not so long ago. I spoke to the original owner of this lace monitor and asked him why he fed his monitor chicken breast, rather than a proper diet, and his response was: "but she LOVES it!".
Unfortunately, chicken breast didn't love her - check out the photos:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/lace-monitor-mbd-graphic-169275/

I do agree crocdoc. Both my larger male beardie and my EWD have tried to eat artificial plants. The water dragon tried ripping plastic flowers off a plant and eating them and I had to remove it and my beardie ripped a silk leaf of a skull ornament and actually ate it, lucky no harm came of it. He has also tried to eat pictures of plants and got very excited one day when he saw some yellow electrical tape my son was playing with so no, they don't always know whats best for them when they live in a captive situation.

knowing what pet stores are like thats probably all the poor little fella's get to eat. and kaotikjezta i no longer keep anything fake and green in my beardie enclosures for the same reason....a few times found silk plant leaves in my dragon poo.....very lucky it did no harm

I do agree crocdoc. Both my larger male beardie and my EWD have tried to eat artificial plants. The water dragon tried ripping plastic flowers off a plant and eating them and I had to remove it and my beardie ripped a silk leaf of a skull ornament and actually ate it, lucky no harm came of it. He has also tried to eat pictures of plants and got very excited one day when he saw some yellow electrical tape my son was playing with so no, they don't always know whats best for them when they live in a captive situation.

knowing what pet stores are like thats probably all the poor little fella's get to eat. and kaotikjezta i no longer keep anything fake and green in my beardie enclosures for the same reason....a few times found silk plant leaves in my dragon poo.....very lucky it did no harm

The issue is a poor diet over the long term and the effects this has, not the random digestion of non food items that captive animals may encounter.

I don't really understand why the O.P. was attacked. His concern was legitimate - It's quite possible those blue-tongues were getting dog food as a staple and it's widely known that cheap dog food isn't a particularly good diet, even for dogs. I can say with confidence that if someone showed images of their monitor being fed dog food on a monitor forum they'd get the verbal/typed equivalent of being tarred and feathered pretty quickly. I also do not subscribe to the 'lizard knows best' line of thought, because all of their instincts have been honed to food available naturally, not to the assortment of artificial diets concocted by humans. They will happily eat the wrong food until they die of obesity, metabolic bone disease or any one of a wide variety of ailments caused by a poor nutritional mix.

I do agree they need a varied diet, and with a petshop it probably isn't being provided properly. However I am simply saying the OP is attacking that any bluetongue be fed any dog food. Seeing as dog food is not bad for bluetongues and can be enjoyed by them as part of a varied diet I don't see the problem with feeding it, as long as it is part of a varied diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back