Very shy SWCP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza90

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just curious about my South Western Carpet Python being so shy. I've had him for about 3 or 4 weeks now and he is adamant on staying up in the corner of his enclosure, on top of the backing, behind leaves. I think it has more to do with settling in to his new enclosure, still getting used to the idea etc. but he doesn't seem to be regulating his temperature, he is constantly beside the basking lamp. I ran temperatures and I'm getting about 31 degrees where he is and 27-28ish on the cool end. I'm only concerned because I have only been able to handle him once since I've had him, every time I've tried since he's ducked away and weaved through his leaves. I don't really wanna force it. Does this sound like anything I should be concerned about??

Cheers, Gaz

He should be fine it's just what they do. No doubt if you go in there at 11pm he will be somewhere else. They move around a lot more after dark. I've got 26 SWCP (21 are this seasons hatchies) at the moment. Most of them do what you are describing during the day. :)

Haha well that's a bit of a shame, I'm only really at home during daylight hours..Might consider a new job haha ;)

Yeah I had caught him out a couple of times at night, but then after I decorated the enclosure a bit more I hadn't seen him out at all. Was a bit worried :D.

Cheers, mate!

As far as handling, they will often try to weave or wrap around something in their enclosure. Leaves you with two options. Get rid of the leaves and have quite a bare enclosure with just shelves and a branch. Decorations are more for the benifit of humans than snakes. Or take your time getting him out of the decorations everytime you want to handle him.
I find elevated hides make them easier to get out. I have tubs on a slide rail that I can remove easily. They are often in their hides at some point of the day.

Yeah, I'll probably keep the leaves and stuff, I like the look of it. I'll just have to lump it I guess haha. At least I know he feels secure back there. Just as far as my housemates are concerned, I've got an enclosure that I'm growing a couple of branches in :p.

my jungle still tries to get away occassionally (after 3 yrs) i just untangle him and pull him out and he settles down, the more you handle him the more use to you he will get and vice versa :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back